Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 152
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,176
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Yeah off the top of my head I couldn't imagine anything I had being worth anything special. The only cards I had that are worth remembering were Pavel Bure and Mark McGwire rookie cards. The only reason I remember the McGwire card is because my Dad told me it'd be worth something someday after he hit 70......lol.
    Yeah the late 80ís/early 90ís stuff is pretty much worthless.

    I inherited my grandfathers huge mess of a collection about 6 years ago. I spent over 100 hours going through them and organizing and marking their value. Now I have over 5k worth of cards all organized and nice. Been adding to it over the years too.

    Some highlights - Mike bossy rookie card, Wayne Gretzkyís sophomore season card, tarasenko rookie card, Michael Jordan playing baseball, nylander rookie card, tavares signed jersey card... so many great ones Iím not even scratching the surface here. I even have some from the 60ís.

    I have some great baseball cards too including vlad and Boís rookie cards and Nate Pearsonís minor league cards from new hampture. Siakamís rookie card.

    Tbh tho I would be open to selling them for the right offer. Theyíre great and they have brought me hours and hours of joy, but at this point I am just buying and sorting. I donít really have an end goal in mind. I want to organize them by player (currently organized by value) and put them into a portable case... but then what?
    I went to a sports card convention and it was NOT what I expected. Just a bunch of card stores selling packs essentially. I even over heard one guy talking to another about how they open the boxes, take out the money card, and then re-seal them and sell them as unopened fresh boxes.
    I thought there would be people there looking to trade and ****. There wasnít any of that. And what am I going to do? Trade with these shifty dealers who will calculate to make sure I am not winning the trade? No thank you. It was discouraging.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,817
    I love collecting cards but never go to card shows or conventions. Without a doubt there are lots of sketchy people out there trying to make a buck but overall I think itís a market that will evolve over time. I mean would you rather a 10,000$ piece of art on your wall or a 10,000 dollar Vlad Jr. Bowman Chrome auto refractor 1/1? To me itís like a newer version of art. But if Vladdy hits 40 bombs my art suddenly 5X.

    Card grading and the numbered cards have made cards evolve. The Luka Doncic and Zion cards in Basketball this year was something to watch.

    Chong if you have a Siakiam RC you want to sell I might be interested depending on the type and condition.
    Last edited by LanceUpperCut; 05-05-2020 at 03:34 PM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    10,913
    Just an update on my travel. Made it successfully from Denmark to BC and then flew from Victoria to PEI yesterday. Pretty fun trip as far as work trips go. I'm now self isolating for 14 days. Flying through Montreal and Toronto was pretty surreal. The places were ghost towns. I flew in a 787-9 from Vancouver to Toronto. There wasn't 100 people on the plane and it seats 300.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    How the hell is everyone during these strange times. I tell my outlet for no sports to watch has been getting back into collecting cards. It's a blast and man some are worth a pile of money now. It's like buy stocks just it's players instead of companies.
    Awesome stuff. I picked up collecting again a few years ago, but have a new strategy. I figure out what cards I want and try to track them down rather than spending money on packs and hoping for the best. I still buy a few packs because the thrill from opening is still there. I just got the variable Yordan Alalvarez RC from the new Topps. That was a nice find. The things I have been targeting though are the RC of any Jays alumni in the HOF. Iíve got Roger, Roberto, Doc and Molitor so far since I started a year ago. Also I try to only buy graded cards if I can.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Just an update on my travel. Made it successfully from Denmark to BC and then flew from Victoria to PEI yesterday. Pretty fun trip as far as work trips go. I'm now self isolating for 14 days. Flying through Montreal and Toronto was pretty surreal. The places were ghost towns. I flew in a 787-9 from Vancouver to Toronto. There wasn't 100 people on the plane and it seats 300.
    Glad to hear you made it Kenny.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah the late 80ís/early 90ís stuff is pretty much worthless.

    I inherited my grandfathers huge mess of a collection about 6 years ago. I spent over 100 hours going through them and organizing and marking their value. Now I have over 5k worth of cards all organized and nice. Been adding to it over the years too.

    Some highlights - Mike bossy rookie card, Wayne Gretzkyís sophomore season card, tarasenko rookie card, Michael Jordan playing baseball, nylander rookie card, tavares signed jersey card... so many great ones Iím not even scratching the surface here. I even have some from the 60ís.

    I have some great baseball cards too including vlad and Boís rookie cards and Nate Pearsonís minor league cards from new hampture. Siakamís rookie card.

    Tbh tho I would be open to selling them for the right offer. Theyíre great and they have brought me hours and hours of joy, but at this point I am just buying and sorting. I donít really have an end goal in mind. I want to organize them by player (currently organized by value) and put them into a portable case... but then what?
    I went to a sports card convention and it was NOT what I expected. Just a bunch of card stores selling packs essentially. I even over heard one guy talking to another about how they open the boxes, take out the money card, and then re-seal them and sell them as unopened fresh boxes.
    I thought there would be people there looking to trade and ****. There wasnít any of that. And what am I going to do? Trade with these shifty dealers who will calculate to make sure I am not winning the trade? No thank you. It was discouraging.
    I bought a box like that about two years ago. Topps replaced the whole thing for me and told me to watch out for stuff like that. The kicker was how well they repackaged each individual pack.

    But it sounds like you got a nice haul there. Certainly dwarves my collection. My ďbigĒ card now is a Harper auto rookie graded at 10. Book value is $500. Also grabbed a Trout rookie a few years ago graded at 10. Got it for $50 Am pretty sure that one will be a money maker.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    I actually had it out with a guy on FB selling a mint card for top dollar. Without pictures. I asked if it had been graded at mint or it was his opinion. He lost his mind on me for what I thought was a fair question.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,817
    What Mike Trout RC do you have if itís a 10 grade Definitely one to hold onto. Heís like MJ And LBJ will always hold there value.
    At first I was really overwhelmed by all the different types and what not. Now I basically stick to Bowman Chrome autoís and Young guns hockey and Prizm or Optic Basketball. I do love to rip into a box everyone once in a while but overall itís a waste of money.
    Last edited by LanceUpperCut; 05-07-2020 at 04:00 PM.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,176
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    What Mike Trout RC do you have if? Definitely one to hold onto. He like MJ And LBJ will always hold there value.
    At first I was really overwhelmed by all the different types and what not. Now I basically stick to Bowman Chrome autoís and Young guns hockey and Prizm or Optic Basketball. I do love to rip into a box everyone once in a while but overall itís a waste of money.
    Lol exactly this.

    Like my collections book value is like 5k, id probably be lucky to get 3k for them as a bulk unit. Still though, I cannot help myself from checking for ďgood dealsĒ every time Iím at Walmart or something lol.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,176
    You guys ever come across (not literally) a good way to organize the finished product? I just have a bunch of those cardboard boxes but I need like a case or something.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,176
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post

    Chong if you have a Siakiam RC you want to sell I might be interested depending on the type and condition.
    I actually have a few. Iíll take a look and get back to you.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    I actually have a few. Iíll take a look and get back to you.
    If you have multiples that youíre selling, I would take one too lol.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    13,522
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    What Mike Trout RC do you have if itís a 10 grade Definitely one to hold onto. Heís like MJ And LBJ will always hold there value.
    At first I was really overwhelmed by all the different types and what not. Now I basically stick to Bowman Chrome autoís and Young guns hockey and Prizm or Optic Basketball. I do love to rip into a box everyone once in a while but overall itís a waste of money.
    Itís Bowman Chrome. Which I donít normally buy, but it was the only one I could find graded as a ten. The one thing I do like is that there are basically options for every price point in todayís market. For me, itís just finding places to buy them. The shops close to me focus on hockey, magic and comics. However there was a card Ďshowí every month in the summer in Cambridge. About 20 vendors. No entrance fee. Quite a few know their baseball stuff. I actually picked up quite a few cards from there.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,176
    No action in the leafs forum, so what do you guys think of lepsic being released?

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    12,597
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    No action in the leafs forum, so what do you guys think of lepsic being released?
    A few racist comments which obviously will have consequences for and shouldn't be tolerated.

    In regards to the roasting of the women, I'm torn because on one hand it's not a good look and something I wouldn't have done, but I think back to my playing days, and even not playing days since, and when I was younger, nothing that was said was new to me. And it was a private conversation. I don't really care what people say or do in private. Not trying to defend him, though. It's a stain on the sport and he should've been let go and probably won't be back in the league.

    You also can't tell me girls don't carve guys in their own private chats.

    Hope everyone is doing well.


    The Lost Boys of PSD

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •