Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    The problem is militarizing the police. And the only reason the police would need to be militarilized is for raiding houses looking for drugs.
    Thus - pull a Portugal and legalize drugs and we can use the money they were spending on swat gear and fancy armoured trucks (pretty much never needed ever. I literally cannot think of a use for an armoured vehicle in usual police activity) on additional training.
    Police should be spending 1/5 days training.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    The funding gets redirected to social programs that help to prevent crime and to places that deal with the things the police should not be. Investing in things like social workers, mental health clinics, etc.
    I think part of the reason there's such a strong revolt against this is because it'll show just how little cities need to spend on actual police. I'm all for investing in communities over policing. Have police only be responsible for transporting personnel (social workers, addiction councillors etc) and providing security under their orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

The problem is militarizing the police. And the only reason the police would need to be militarilized is for raiding houses looking for drugs.
    Thus - pull a Portugal and legalize drugs and we can use the money they were spending on swat gear and fancy armoured trucks (pretty much never needed ever. I literally cannot think of a use for an armoured vehicle in usual police activity) on additional training.
    Police should be spending 1/5 days training.
    Drug raids aren't like the movies and the murder docs. Most of them are just people sitting in their place playing video games. I agree that there needs to be an increase in training though. A huge one at that. When tense situations occur these fools need to have the highest level of muscle memory possible because mentally they're going into the black. The only way they can get that muscle memory is with consistent training.

As for legalizing all drugs, it's something I've always been a fan of but have started to second guess as I've gotten older. I work with a few Portuguese ladies and the one I'm closest with who happens to be very Liberal minded had some interesting input on all that. She said it's been feeling more and more like a welfare state with each visit. She attributes a lot of it to drug use.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Drug raids aren't like the movies and the murder docs. Most of them are just people sitting in their place playing video games. I agree that there needs to be an increase in training though. A huge one at that. When tense situations occur these fools need to have the highest level of muscle memory possible because mentally they're going into the black. The only way they can get that muscle memory is with consistent training.

As for legalizing all drugs, it's something I've always been a fan of but have started to second guess as I've gotten older. I work with a few Portuguese ladies and the one I'm closest with who happens to be very Liberal minded had some interesting input on all that. She said it's been feeling more and more like a welfare state with each visit. She attributes a lot of it to drug use.
    Oh I agree on the raids. The cops still get decked out in swat gear and roll up to the house in their armoured truck to bust those video gamers.

What does it even mean to be a welfare state? Lots of people using the social assistance? If thatís the case then they probably needed it all along. One of my ladies has a Portuguese father who still owns property there and her parents visit for a month each summer. Theyíve said that the streets have never been this safe before and petty crime is almost nonexistent. They say everyone is now happy to see cops roll up on hem.
    A simple change that changed everything over there.

Not to mention all the research they are now able to do on these substances.

Since most of you in here are from Canada.

Anybody with children... Are you sending your kids back to school this fall? And why/why not? I'll give my answer later, but I'm just trying to see what the vibe is.

Do you guys dabble in sports betting?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Since most of you in here are from Canada.

Anybody with children... Are you sending your kids back to school this fall? And why/why not? I'll give my answer later, but I'm just trying to see what the vibe is.
    No kids of my own but I'm the building caretaker at a licensed early years child care centre. Infants to pre-schoolers. Kids with special needs can stay until they're 4 though.

We've been open to the public for about a month and it's very different. First off, there's a screener at the door who's required to be wearing a face shield, mask, gloves and gown. After every interaction they have to wipe the table down before the next parent and child approach. Parents are allowed no further than the screeners desk and under no circumstances are they allowed to enter the building or playground. The only person who enters our building who isn't a child or staff is the guy who drops off the food every morning and he too has to be screened. Once your temperature is taken and you answer all the questions you sanitize your hands and you're given a mask. The mask stays on unless you're in the staff room eating your lunch. Kids obviously don't wear a mask because it's a literal choking hazard for them.

Teachers are not allowed to go from room to room. They only go to their class, bathroom, staff room and supply room to help cut down the amount of contact in the building. Part of the screening process is writing down which room(s) you'll be in. My supervisor and myself are the only people who are able to go into all the rooms but neither of us are allowed to do so if any kids are in a room at the time. Last week I had to install new carbon monoxide detectors in the rooms but had to wait until each room had their outside time to do so. It's kind of a bummer because cracking jokes with the kids was always fun but I completely understand and agree with what they're trying to do.

Classroom sizes decreased. Our new capacity was roughly 50% of our usual capacity (22 down from 46) but that was for phase 2. I'm on vacation for the week but phase 3 just started and I think that classroom sizes increased. The teacher to child ratio got smaller though so now they legally have to have more staff in the rooms. The craziest thing about this all is that the pre-schoolers have actually started to understand the concept of social distancing. Mind you our Sr pre-school room only has 4 kids at this time but they're definitely getting it. We have big red duct tape X's on the floor where they're supposed to stand and table are divided into areas with the kids picture in their space.

My job has become 95% disinfecting. We have a bathroom with 5 stalls. Before Covid I'd go in twice a day and do a full clean from top to bottom. The most I've done so far in a day now is 8 but 4 is the new norm. Our marble bathroom dividers have never looked shinier. Doorways, door handles and waste bins are all getting cleaned twice a day now and they even have my scrubbing the walls through the hallway once a day. Playground now gets disinfected everyday and all the outside toys are washed and sanitized twice a day.

Ordering supplies has been a blast too. Pretty much all wholesale places are out of medium and large latex gloves and you're never able to order more than 2 boxes of masks at a time. I lucked out and found a place that just gave us all the hand sanitizer we needed without any limits in place. The new city guidelines require any sanitizer we use to be a minimum of 70% alcohol so I went and ordered a good 60 litres of it.

Obviously it's not a school but I'm just trying to shed some light on what's been happening in a similar situation. We had no idea of what our new opening guidelines were until 2 weeks before we re-opened. We had 2 days of zoom slide shows showing us how it would all go. There are people who are stressed out but I've personally felt safe in my work environment since returning.

My work is expecting me back in september and I work from home (+they gave me a 40% raise) so my kids will be going back.

Iím not concerned about my health or my kids health, but I am concerned about the elderly members of my family. Regardless one of the wives needs to go back to school to finish her last semester of registered massage therapy so the risk will be there no matter what I choose.

My work is expecting me back in september and I work from home (+they gave me a 40% raise) so my kids will be going back.

Iím not concerned about my health or my kids health, but I am concerned about the elderly members of my family. Regardless one of the wives needs to go back to school to finish her last semester of registered massage therapy so the risk will be there no matter what I choose.
    Wait.....one of the wives?

At this point we're leaning heavily towards keeping them home and home schooling them. I have a hard time with still having stay at max of 10 people for gatherings, but we can pack the kids back into a school. My youngest is a definite no, but the older one we're still really thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Wait.....one of the wives?
    polyamorous. Me+2 young ladies. (+my 2 young sons from a previous relationship).

Originally inspired by Lou Williams.

polyamorous. Me+2 young ladies. (+my 2 young sons from a previous relationship).

Originally inspired by Lou Williams.
    You dirty bastard. I ****ing love it

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    You dirty bastard. I ****ing love it
    Not dirty, just different. I'll bet some days he's living the dream and other days, well.... he's got two girls to yell at him when he screws up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Do you guys dabble in sports betting?
    I did. Waste of money. House ALWAYS win and when I did win I didn't get out and lost my winnings. Switched to the stock market. Much better

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast