Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    You've gots to believe, you just gots to.

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Even if they did snag a WC spot, there's no way some rotation combo of Bumgarner, Samardzija, Anderson, Beede, Pomeranz makes a run against the Dodgers or Braves.
    I agree with most of your post but not this part. In 2014 the Giants playoff rotation was a dumpster fire and Madison Bumgarner; didn't stop them from winning it all.

Not to mention that Cueto could very well be a useful part of this rotation come September.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

If the giants get in the playoffs anything can happen. They have proven that in the past, no reason to not believe it can't happen again.

^^WE NEED THESE GUYS NOW.

Dickerson will carry.

“My team is a super team, just young.” - Kings GM Vlade Divac. June 21, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I agree with most of your post but not this part. In 2014 the Giants playoff rotation was a dumpster fire and Madison Bumgarner; didn't stop them from winning it all.

Not to mention that Cueto could very well be a useful part of this rotation come September.
    I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire. A playoff rotation of Bum, Hudson, Peavy, and Vogelsong, certainly didn't strike fear into anyone, but it was better than what we have now.

I have no issue with Bum, but it gets bleak after him. Samardzija has pitched well of late, but seems due for some negative regression. Anderson can get you five decent innings, but he's nothing more than a back end starter at the moment. And Pomeranz and Beede can't be trusted to go five or six innings. Beede has shown flashes and Pomeranz can strike out 10, but they can also give up five in the first couple innings at any moment with their propensity for walks and home runs.

As for Cueto, even if he stays on track and returns in September, who knows how effective he'll be out of the gate. I doubt they'd push him, even if they were in a Wild Card chase, and I'd assume he'd have a pitch count on him.

This rotation is just too volatile for me to really think they can go up against the Dodgers and/or Braves.

But I'd love to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I wouldn't call it a dumpster fire. A playoff rotation of Bum, Hudson, Peavy, and Vogelsong, certainly didn't strike fear into anyone, but it was better than what we have now.

I have no issue with Bum, but it gets bleak after him. Samardzija has pitched well of late, but seems due for some negative regression. Anderson can get you five decent innings, but he's nothing more than a back end starter at the moment. And Pomeranz and Beede can't be trusted to go five or six innings. Beede has shown flashes and Pomeranz can strike out 10, but they can also give up five in the first couple innings at any moment with their propensity for walks and home runs.

As for Cueto, even if he stays on track and returns in September, who knows how effective he'll be out of the gate. I doubt they'd push him, even if they were in a Wild Card chase, and I'd assume he'd have a pitch count on him.

This rotation is just too volatile for me to really think they can go up against the Dodgers and/or Braves.

But I'd love to be wrong.
    I'm not so sure Hudson, Vogelsong, and Peavy circa 2014 were any better than what we have now. Regardless, my point was that anything can happen come playoff time.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123