Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbie5150 View Post
    --pointing at his W/L record as proof he shouldn't be criticized is kinda weak; it could be argued that having one of the most talented rosters in baseball should result in a terrific W/L record, even if not deployed in optimum fashion

Just sayin'
    That W/L record, and the talent this team has. Makes me wonder , If it could be even better or more importantly would they have had better success in the playoffs with a manager who does a better job managing the pitching and plays a consistent lineup with his better players.

7/15-7/17: Reds (42-48) at Cubs (50-43) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    It's not a popular thing to say, but Russell ain't a bad ballplayer. He's not great or even good, but he's far from valueless. Which Robel Garcia very well could be.
    Eh.

I donít care about Russell starting tonight. Hendricks historically has gotten lots of ground balls, Russell is the better defender, Castillo is tough to hit anyway, they might not like the matchup with his awesome changeup vs Garcia, and they can cherry pick a matchup for Garcia to pinch hit later in the game.

But Russell has been pretty bad for 2+ years. His SS defense has value. If heís not playing SS, he doesnít really have much value at all.

Edit - I will concede that league-wide 2b offense is trash. The average wRC+ for 2b is even worse than CF (89). So I guess he can put up his crappy offensive numbers with great 2b defense and be averageish. I really hope Nico reaches his potential and becomes a good player. It would be nice to have 2b as a strength if itís a weakness for so many other teams.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-15-2019 at 05:40 PM.

I'm not one to criticize for things that are pretty much impossible to see coming, and he probably wouldn't have gotten the same opportunity here, but I wish this argument included Tommy La Stella

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Eh.

I donít care about Russell starting tonight. Hendricks historically has gotten lots of ground balls, Russell is the better defender, Castillo is tough to hit anyway, they might not like the matchup with his awesome changeup vs Garcia, and they can cherry pick a matchup for Garcia to pinch hit later in the game.

But Russell has been pretty bad for 2+ years. His SS defense has value. If heís not playing SS, he doesnít really have much value at all.
    I was just going to say something about Russell probably playing for defense, you beat me too it. And with Hendricks going itís not outrageous.
    And we probably should pump the breaks a little on Garcia. Heís never been a canít miss guy. He looks good right now, which is obviously positive, but maybe the plan is to not expose him too much, too fast. Just guessing.
    And with the outfield so thin, Bote is out of the mix at 2B, itís kind of a flip a coin situation at second.

Eh.

Edit - I will concede that league-wide 2b offense is trash. The average wRC+ for 2b is even worse than CF (89). So I guess he can put up his crappy offensive numbers with great 2b defense and be averageish. I really hope Nico reaches his potential and becomes a good player. It would be nice to have 2b as a strength if itís a weakness for so many other teams.
    I would bet this is Maddonís exact thinking with Hendricks getting loads of ground balls and lets face it, Garcia is not impressive defensively

I fully believe this team doesn't win a world series in 2016 without Joe Maddon. Maybe they find a way to win the crapshoot in another year with lesser teams? I suppose anything's possible, but I think the players, and just the ****** odds, are much more to blame for any playoff failures since then Joe Maddon. He's a pretty great manager, one of the best we've ever had, and this is coming from somebody who's perfectly fine moving on without him next year if they fall short again.

Eh.

I'd love to upgrade over him too, but yeah, he's basically the same 1.5-2 WAR player he has been since 2017. You can do worse. Overall, there's a place on the team for a player with the production level of Addison Russell. His defense gives him a relatively high floor. That's all I'm saying. For instance, with the K-rates Robel has, there's a high chance he's a zero/sub-zero WAR level player. His floor is very low.
    Last edited by La_bibbers; 07-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Is this Jesse Rogers..lol
    J/K

Maybe I'm wrong but they brought the kid up to play because Descalso and Russell weren't getting the job done offensively, so until the kid goes 0fers, he a SH, let him play while he hitting.
    Of course, looking at tonight's matchup, Descalso is 4 for 12 vs Cincy's pither with 2HRs and 6 RBIs in just those 12 ABs. His stats are second only to Willson's in BA and best in HRs and RBIs. If he's ever going to start a game, this should probably be that night.

Iím just glad Caratini is playing so good and we arenít in a hole by letting Contreras rest his foot. I just wonder if he would have started if Vic hadnít been swinging the bat so well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Iím just glad Caratini is playing so good and we arenít in a hole by letting Contreras rest his foot. I just wonder if he would have started if Vic hadnít been swinging the bat so well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maddon said Contreras kept calling him last night wanting to be in lineup today but decided to give him another day..
    Said he'll start tomorrow but will have Wednesday off, day game after night and Caratini to catch Darvish.

Foot injuries, especially as a catcher, can linger. Best to be safe in July than be regretting it in September.

Stop ****ing pitching to Suarez. Just glad nobody was on base.

Kyle... might as well put that one on a tee

Absolutely no communication between Addi and KB there. Scary.

Well, lucky that was a soft collision between Bryant and Russell.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast