Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

7/15-7/17: Reds (42-48) at Cubs (50-43) IGT

Cincinatti Reds vs Chicago Cubs
    (42-48)(50-43)

Pitching Matchups

7/15 @ 7:05 PM
    Luis Castillo (8-3, 2.29 ERA) vs Kyle Hendricks (7-7, 3.49 ERA)

7/16 @ 7:05 PM

Anthony DeSclafani (5-4, 4.26 ERA) vs Alec Mills

7/17 @ 1:20 PM

Sonny Gray (5-5, 3.42 ERA) vs Yu Darvish (2-4, 4.72 ERA)

So why is Russell starting over Garcia

Better question. Why does every line up Joe put out have to be scrutinized. When does a guy who wins 95 game a year get the benefit of the doubt on a line up?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Better question. Why does every line up Joe put out have to be scrutinized. When does a guy who wins 95 game a year get the benefit of the doubt on a line up?
    Because he does dumb stuff, like put in less talented hitters over more talented hitters.

When he stops doing the aforementioned dumb stuff.

Y'all Ain't Ready!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    So why is Russell starting over Garcia

Really gonna have to be patient with Garcia. He crushes the ball when he hits it (99 average EV!) But he rarely hits it.

Though i do think he should be in there against a high velo guy like Castillo. Russell cannot handle velocity at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Because he does dumb stuff, like put in less talented hitters over more talented hitters.

When he stops doing the aforementioned dumb stuff.
    Maybe he knows what he is doing. Maybe he has reasons that the average or even highly intelligent fan does know about. Like maybe Garcia strikes out 40+% of the time. Maybe he doesn't like that match up. Maybe he wants defense over offense. Again, the man wins a lot of games. Just because you or another fan thinks a move is dumb doesn't make you right. I am pretty sure most thought starting Darvish starting the second half was a dumb move. Turned out pretty good.
    For me, you give the manager the benefit of the doubt when it comes to line ups. I have to think he knows more than even the most knowledgeable fan.

Maybe he knows what he is doing. Maybe he has reasons that the average or even highly intelligent fan does know about. Like maybe Garcia strikes out 40+% of the time. Maybe he doesn't like that match up. Maybe he wants defense over offense. Again, the man wins a lot of games. Just because you or another fan thinks a move is dumb doesn't make you right. I am pretty sure most thought starting Darvish starting the second half was a dumb move. Turned out pretty good.
    For me, you give the manager the benefit of the doubt when it comes to line ups. I have to think he knows more than even the most knowledgeable fan.
    Again, far too much credit for the manager for "winning" games (or losing for that matter). Better players should play over lesser layers. Addi can't hit. I prefer better hitters to be in the lineup hitting. No right or wrong there, just preference, but Addi shouldn't be starting games, IMO.

Y'all Ain't Ready!!!

It's o.k. to agree with both of the following:
    --Maddon gets more grief than he deserves
    --pointing at his W/L record as proof he shouldn't be criticized is kinda weak; it could be argued that having one of the most talented rosters in baseball should result in a terrific W/L record, even if not deployed in optimum fashion

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Really gonna have to be patient with Garcia. He crushes the ball when he hits it (99 average EV!) But he rarely hits it.

Though i do think he should be in there against a high velo guy like Castillo. Russell cannot handle velocity at all.
    I agree about patience but the kid was brought up to play and he has done well..

He a SH, So why not continue to play him til he does a couple of 0fers?

I haven't seen much complaint about his overall lineups lately..

I think fans are just tired of seeing Descalso whenever he starts and like tonight, why start Russell when the kid been playing well..

Let the kid play til he has a couple of 0fers, til then just continue doing what they been doing.
    Start the kid and bring in Russell late for defense.

If everyone had to agree with everything a manager and FO did there wouldn't be much need for an internet discussion forum.

Y'all Ain't Ready!!!

Is this Jesse Rogers..lol
    J/K

Maybe I'm wrong but they brought the kid up to play because Descalso and Russell weren't getting the job done offensively, so until the kid goes 0fers, he a SH, let him play while he hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Again, far too much credit for the manager for "winning" games (or losing for that matter). Better players should play over lesser layers. Addi can't hit. I prefer better hitters to be in the lineup hitting. No right or wrong there, just preference, but Addi shouldn't be starting games, IMO.
    So off of 15 AB in the majors you have deemed Garcia better than Russell. Got it.
    Look, I would play Garcia today, as well. But I have no problem letting the manager make the final decision without questioning it, nearly as much as so many question everything he does.

It's not a popular thing to say, but Russell ain't a bad ballplayer. He's not great or even good, but he's far from valueless. Which Robel Garcia very well could be.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Is this Jesse Rogers..lol
    J/K

Maybe I'm wrong but they brought the kid up to play because Descalso and Russell weren't getting the job done offensively, so until the kid goes 0fers, he a SH, let him play while he hitting.
    Except when he came up, Russell was actually hitting a little. Russell's last 28 days produced 267 .365 .422 .788

Not great, but a far cry from Descalso. I think Joe said Garcia would get a lot of work. And he has. But I do not think Joe said Russell wasn't going to play at all.

I would have been fine starting Garcia, just as I am starting Russell.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast