Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 206 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    Also ranks on those numbers you think denote a great offense:

BA with RISP - 25th
    OPS - tied with the Reds for 10th
    wrC - 16th at 107
    BABIP- 29th at .272
    Stop. Using. MLB. For. Offensive. Ranks. Jesus. Christ.

Nonpitchers: OBP: 10th, SLG: 8th OPS: 7th, wOBA: 7th

RISP 2 outs: OBP: 7, SLG: 4 OPS: 4, wOBA: 6th

And these are still numbers that help AL steams, but itís much closer to an actually fair comparison. We are top 5 in almost every offensive category in NL. Our offense is great. Stop being wrong.

Also: a low BABIP actually HURTS your point. Not the opposite. As a team that means as we regress to the mean we should expect BETTER future production, not worse. The low BABIP and still very good numbers when taking out pitchers absolutely proves my point.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 07-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Stop. Using. MLB. For. Offensive. Ranks. Jesus. Christ.

Nonpitchers: OBP: 10th, SLG: 8th OPS: 7th, wOBA: 7th

RISP 2 outs: OBP: 7, SLG: 4 OPS: 4, wOBA: 6th

And these are still numbers that help AL steams, but itís much closer to an actually fair comparison. We are top 5 in almost every offensive category in NL. Our offense is great. Stop being wrong.

Also: a low BABIP actually HURTS your point. Not the opposite. As a team that means as we regress to the mean we should expect BETTER future production, not worse. The low BABIP and still very good numbers when taking out pitchers absolutely proves my point.
    I would assume BABIP has mostly normalized at this point over the course of the season, but I could be wrong. It does indicate weak contact , but it could absolutely regress. I noticed you ignored BA, but I understand it's an older stat. However, walks don't score runners from third very often. What are the stats regarding actual runs scored vs expected for this Cubs team based on ops or woba? Does such a thing exist?

Still no interest in Ketel Marte? Heís still hitting good. .310/.358/.564. 21 hr and 55 rbi. 134 wRC+. He hit .336 in June. Heís really adapting to CF. 7 DRS and a 7.2 UZR.

I know his name was mentioned not long ago and most shot him down because heís having a career year, but heís still keeping it up. Heís a controllable CF that gets on base and doesnít strike out a lot that could hit leadoff. Itís the kind of guy we need.

He under contract until 2023. He signed a 5 year 24 mil contract last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Still no interest in Ketel Marte? Heís still hitting good. .310/.358/.564. 21 hr and 55 rbi. 134 wRC+. He hit .336 in June. Heís really adapting to CF. 7 DRS and a 7.2 UZR.

I know his name was mentioned not long ago and most shot him down because heís having a career year, but heís still keeping it up. Heís a controllable CF that gets on base and doesnít strike out a lot that could hit leadoff. Itís the kind of guy we need.

He under contract until 2023. He signed a 5 year 24 mil contract last year.

Itís not really about not being interested. Itís about Arizona having no reason to trade him and him costing a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Itís not really about not being interested. Itís about Arizona having no reason to trade him and him costing a fortune.
    I couldnít remember. It seemed like a lot of people shot him down because they didnít think he could withstand the numbers he was putting up. I think the FO has to atleast kick the tires and see what AZ says. And I know a lot of people will say that His numbers are what they are because heís hitting in Arizona, but his road numbers are considerably better than home numbers.

Home: .316/.354/.526 with 6 hr and 18 rbi.
    Away: .306/.361/.592. With 15 hrs and 37 rbi.

I couldnít remember. It seemed like a lot of people shot him down because they didnít think he could withstand the numbers he was putting up. I think the FO has to atleast kick the tires and see what AZ says. And I know a lot of people will say that His numbers are what they are because heís hitting in Arizona, but his road numbers are considerably better than home numbers.

Home: .316/.354/.526 with 6 hr and 18 rbi.
    Away: .306/.361/.592. With 15 hrs and 37 rbi.

I just donít see the motivation for Arizona. Heís cheap, young, controlled long term and having a breakout season.

Dude hes fantastic. Do you really think we could put the best package available for him is the question. They have no reason to move him but if they did, he would deplete us. If I were a fan of the Dbacks and they actually traded a guy that good with several cheap years of control left I'd ****ing stab somebody.

Looool Giants just tied the Brewers.

I just donít see the motivation for Arizona. Heís cheap, young, controlled long term and having a breakout season.
    I agree to an extent. At the beginning of the year, AZ farm system was ranked 20th. Post draft Fangraphs has them at 12. All of their prospects are really young and none that will make a difference are really close. They took a bunch of HS guys this year, which will take much longer to develop as you already know. It could be 2022 at the earliest before their guys start coming up and making a difference.

Theyíve already traded Goldy (who they couldíve easily extended), they let Corbin walk, Robbie Ray and Peralta are expected to be moved this deadline, they just might let Marte go.

On another hand, they might bet on him and see if he puts up the same numbers again next year in order to get a better return based on him proving this year wasnít a fluke.

I agree to an extent. At the beginning of the year, AZ farm system was ranked 20th. Post draft Fangraphs has them at 12. All of their prospects are really young and none that will make a difference are really close. They took a bunch of HS guys this year, which will take much longer to develop as you already know. It could be 2022 at the earliest before their guys start coming up and making a difference.

Theyíve already traded Goldy (who they couldíve easily extended), they let Corbin walk, Robbie Ray and Peralta are expected to be moved this deadline, they just might let Marte go.

On another hand, they might bet on him and see if he puts up the same numbers again next year in order to get a better return based on him proving this year wasnít a fluke.

I donít see it. Big difference between not wanting to pay Goldy $30 mil per through his mid 30s and trading a 24 year old breakout player controlled cheap for another half decade.

I donít see it. Big difference between not wanting to pay Goldy $30 mil per through his mid 30s and trading a 24 year old breakout player controlled cheap for another half decade.
    Yeah I donít disagree with that. I just donít think itís that crazy that they would listen on him being 3 years away from contention and 4 years left on his deal. Though youíre probably right, they are probably in no hurry to move him this year.

Yeah I donít disagree with that. I just donít think itís that crazy that they would listen on him being 3 years away from contention and 4 years left on his deal. Though youíre probably right, they are probably in no hurry to move him this year.

The Cubs wouldn't have the prospects even if he became available.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The Cubs wouldn't have the prospects even if he became available.
    Yeah I just remember people shooting him down on here a while back. I was looking at his stats earlier and thought about it and wanted to see what the ones that didnít like him still thought about him.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    I would assume BABIP has mostly normalized at this point over the course of the season, but I could be wrong. It does indicate weak contact , but it could absolutely regress. I noticed you ignored BA, but I understand it's an older stat. However, walks don't score runners from third very often. What are the stats regarding actual runs scored vs expected for this Cubs team based on ops or woba? Does such a thing exist?
    Iím on my phone, so itís hard for me to be able to check. But while walks do not score runners, extra base hits do, and we get a ton of those. As for expected vs actual, Iím not sure how to figure that out. But as for BABIP, it doesnít really normalize that way because itís hard to say a teamís true talent level is worse. When Iím home I can look up quality of contact in the situations though, but Iím guessing thereíll be pretty high hard hit ball rate given the super high SLG, and even more so, the super high ISO.

So I have read often that our outfield production is terrible and we need to upgrade. And when you hear things enough it tends to get believed without facts backing it up. I do not know how or where to get actual numbers, but I am curious. Is the Cubs outfield production in the bottom 5 in baseball? Or is it middle of the pack? Bottom line is, centerfield is a collection of bad hitters. Kind of makes me think the Cubs outfield is not as bad as some make it out to be when compared to the rest of baseball. But, like I said, I havenít really looked at actual stats.

Page 5 of 206 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast