Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 229 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    You're adding Caratini. Who is a good hitter in general. He was an awful hitter last year (in the MLB) regardless of literally any context. But he was great in the minors, and I believe he is a legitimately good hitter. He hit lefties well last year in the minors. And he hit them well the year before that in the minors, too. No reason to believe he won't continue to do so in the majors.
    I think you are reaching here . Give me Castellanos 1000 times out of 1000 againts a lefty than Caratini. I rather have the guy who has a proven track record at the big league level of crushing them.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Todd Frazier does more for the team than Castellanos, IMO.

Like I mentioned earlier and Doog just brought up, Contreras in LF solves the problem without using any resources.
    I be okay with Frazier and I said as much the other day. Contreras solves LF assuming Caratini can hit lefties which is far from a given.

I just realized this is a thread for the deadline. Much needed.

No better time for Theo to get his mojo back. Well last offseason would have been a better time. Or the one before that. But you know what I mean.

2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

The numbers he posted are from this year. Which is still a small sample. Defensive stats aren't good as it is. Using a partial season's worth of them is literally completely worthless. Yes a player can improve, but they need to prove it over multiple seasons defensively before it's something worth putting stock into.
    Single season defensive stats are worthless as well yet you framed your argument to be since last year to include Castellanos worst year by the metrics and Schwarberís best. The metrics this year are what they are and they are nearly equal. The other benefit to this is that you get the value to acquire for Schwarber in a trade. Nobody is advocating just replacing Schwarber with Castellanos. Iím saying use Schwarber to bring in value elsewhere and heís easily replaced (and improved upon) in the short term by a guy like Nick C, who could probably be acquired super cheap.

As mentioned, defensive stats can also vary greatly based on the situation. If you looked at defensive stats before Fowler got here youíd have argues he was unplayable in CF, yet he wasnít.

I just disagree with this offense being ďgreat.Ē Maybe we define great differently. Very good, maybe. But great offenses donít have so much dead weight. The frustrating thing is that they have the stars to be a great, truly elite, offense if they could get better production out of a couple spots.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-13-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Cashner to Boston
    Baltimore gets pretty much nothing. 2 17 year old DSL prospects.

And again: If you want Castellanos for LF here's what you do instead of trading for him:

Start Willson in LF against lefties. Have him split more time with Caratini at catcher vs RHP.

You get your crushing of lefties. You get your bad outfield defense. You still get great production at catcher. You get Caratini more playing time. You give up 0 prospects. You get Willson in the lineup more AND he is likely more fresh in general.
    I donít think Caratini would hit at the same level if relied on more heavily.

Iím open to Contreras playing more outfield next year if they acquire another catcher.

You're adding Caratini. Who is a good hitter in general. He was an awful hitter last year (in the MLB) regardless of literally any context. But he was great in the minors, and I believe he is a legitimately good hitter. He hit lefties well last year in the minors. And he hit them well the year before that in the minors, too. No reason to believe he won't continue to do so in the majors.

I just disagree we need to add a bat that only improves us against LHP and literally nothing else. If we want to do that, we can do it for far cheaper than Castellanos I'm sure. Hell, despite his struggles against LHP this year, Bote had an OPS over 1.200 last year in the minors against them. And he put up an .874OPS against them in the majors, too.
    I donít think anybody is saying we need to add a bat that only helps againts lefties. I would love to add a CF that can hit and field but there isnít one that is realistic. Thus division is really close. Every little tiny move can be a difference. If there are cheaper options than Castellanos I welcome them. They need someone to mash lefties. With all due respect assuming that Caratini is going to crush them is a bit optimistic. There just isnít much data to make that determination. If Bote and Almora were hitting lefties this wouldnít be a discussion but they are not and they canít afford to operate thinking like they will. They have to adjust in a middle of a tight division race.

Cubs don't need someone to "mash lefties", they need to add good hitters regardless. More importantly, the Cubs need their hitters to hit better with runners in scoring position.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    Cubs don't need someone to "mash lefties", they need to add good hitters regardless. More importantly, the Cubs need their hitters to hit better with runners in scoring position.
    I mean I get your overall point but in reality there just arenít that many guys that are impact hitters available outside of Merrifield. You could get another lefty platoonish and in theory it would improve them but still the situation againts lefties wouldnít be good. Itís just a 3 man unit againts lefties Javy / KB / Willy. I disagree I think a lefty masher is very much needed. Canít expect that trio I mentioned to carry them every time.

If there isnít anything else available I take the platoonish lefty but would much rather have someone that can at least be average above average againts righties and kill lefties at the same time.

It's been floated out there, but I can still get behind the idea of Eric Sogard to replace Descalso. I know his statcast metrics aren't great, but DRC+ has him at 13% above league average at the plate. DRC+ is more reliable and a bit more predictive, despite the inferior inputs. I'm willing to give him a shot.

Will Smith is the only guy the Cubs are realistically in on that I'd be pretty excited about. Diekman would be fine, too, I guess. I'm guessing Diekman is more likely because he's probably cheaper and the Cubs have had more history trading with the Royals front office.

They are NOT atrocious with RISP. They are better with RISP than with nobody on, by a WIDE margin:
    We are hitting ****ing .251/.356/.454 for an .811OPS with RISP.
    We are hitting .237/.369/.472 for an .841OPS with 2 outs and RISP.

You're wrong. You're so wrong it's actually unbelievable.

With nobody on: .238/.314/.427

Stop being wrong. Actually look **** up before you talk. Because as it turns out, we're actually ****ing unbelievably good with RISP.

Also, baserunning hasn't come CLOSE to costing us 20 runs. Where the **** did you get that? Our nonpitchers are worth -2.9 runs on the basepaths. We're a perfectly fine team on the bases.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...n-job-starters

Mostly the laundry list of complaints the FO just pushed through Rogers about this team and Joe.

They are NOT atrocious with RISP. They are better with RISP than with nobody on, by a WIDE margin:
    We are hitting ****ing .251/.356/.454 for an .811OPS with RISP.
    We are hitting .237/.369/.472 for an .841OPS with 2 outs and RISP.

You're wrong. You're so wrong it's actually unbelievable.

With nobody on: .238/.314/.427

Stop being wrong. Actually look **** up before you talk. Because as it turns out, we're actually ****ing unbelievably good with RISP.

Also, baserunning hasn't come CLOSE to costing us 20 runs. Where the **** did you get that? Our nonpitchers are worth -2.9 runs on the basepaths. We're a perfectly fine team on the bases.
    Also ranks on those numbers you think denote a great offense:

BA with RISP - 25th
    OPS - tied with the Reds for 10th
    wrC - 16th at 107
    BABIP- 29th at .272

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    False. We are very good with RISP. We are better with RISP than without. And even BETTER with RISP and 2 outs. You are demonstrably incorrect.

Page 4 of 229 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast