Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 3030
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    8,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    One season just isn't worth much. There are 1400 other innings of him being atrocious that hold way more weight to me than his play this year.

    And he's still worse, and not even an improvement against righties. He's not making us significantly better. Literally a league average CF is a way bigger improvement than what Castellanos brings to this team. The difference between them is not worth giving up literally anything of value. It's MAYBE half a win over the course of the rest of the year. And that's probably being generous.

    And again: He is ONLY an upgrade offensively against lefties.

    I just want to re-emphasize this: Our offense is great. That is not what we need to improve. It's just not. Making incremental upgrades just isn't doing anything. Either upgrade CF or don't trade for a bat.
    Preaching to the choir regarding a league average CF, but name names. There arenít many out there.

    Castellanos is an offensive upgrade overall. Break it down however you want but the total is greater than the total Schwarber provides offensively. The Cubs also are weaker vs LHP so adding a guy who kills lefties is a good thing. His wRC+ is about 100 points higher vs LHP and the same vs RHP. Thatís a big difference. I donít think it would require much of significance to get him since heís a rental bat. Using last yearís defensive metrics skew it a bit too. Schwarberís arm pumped up his metrics but that hasnít sustained to this year.

    This offense isnít great. Itís good. Maybe very good. It could be great because they have 4 great hitters and a couple good ones, but they have some brutal hitters holding them back.

    They are 13th in runs
    8th in OBP
    9th in wRC+
    7th in wOBA

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    12,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Why anyone is even mentioning Castellanos is beyond my comprehension. He's a slightly above average hitter and arguably the worst defensive player in baseball. So what, we go from:

    Gold Glove defense/Solid hitter in RF
    Great defense/Atrocious hitter in CF

    to:
    Atrocious defense/Solid hitter in RF
    Mediocre defense/Solid hitter in CF

    What the **** does Castellanos give us that Bote doesn't, a really ****** glove instead of a solid one?

    **** that. If we give up anything for Castellanos our front office is filled with a bunch of failures.
    I think it isnít as simple as saying what does Castellanos give us than Bote doesnít. While Boteís line looks very good againts righties it has been in mostly matchups type situations. Betting on Bote everyday is a risk. You canít compare Bote to Castellanos one plays everyday one doesnít .

    While Castellanos line this year isnít good he hit them at a 117 wrc last year although with a high babip. He also got to a slow start and is starting to get hot now. Even with his overall line againts righties this year he had 171 iso againts them. Not great but not awful

    He destroys lefties . This team offense againts lefties is Baez / Bryant / Contreras . Adding another guy would be a good get. If they end up facing the Dodgers in a possible playoff series having that bat againts Kershaw / Hill/ Ryu would be nice.

    Defensively he is atrocious no doubt overall in his career.. With that said their RF situation isnít really good in RF most days because you have Heyward playing a lot of CF and Bryant playing more that you would like in RF. Prior to this year Heyward really had been okay in CF and if he focuses more on that position itís possible he gets better. We have seen it with Javy this year.

    Playing OF in Detroit is really difficult that is a huge park. I think Wrigley could help Castellanos on defense. I think he can help this team. Would I like a CF that hits and plays defense ? Sure but there isnít one that is realistic out there.

    Edit: It isnít possible that a player can get better with the glove ? The numbers that CP posted on defense suggest that. I absolutely believe that he could be making progress with the glove.
    Last edited by Dfan25; 07-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Preaching to the choir regarding a league average CF, but name names. There arenít many out there.

    Castellanos is an offensive upgrade overall. Break it down however you want but the total is greater than the total Schwarber provides offensively. The Cubs also are weaker vs LHP so adding a guy who kills lefties is a good thing. His wRC+ is about 100 points higher vs LHP and the same vs RHP. Thatís a big difference. I donít think it would require much of significance to get him since heís a rental bat. Using last yearís defensive metrics skew it a bit too. Schwarberís arm pumped up his metrics but that hasnít sustained to this year.

    This offense isnít great. Itís good. Maybe very good. It could be great because they have 4 great hitters and a couple good ones, but they have some brutal hitters holding them back.

    They are 13th in runs
    8th in OBP
    9th in wRC+
    7th in wOBA
    13th in runs doesn't matter. That's because of games played. I literally quoted runs per game. You're just wrong on this one. Let's not play games and pit an NL team against AL teams. That's absolute nonsense.

    In the NL they are:
    4th in runs per game
    3rd in OBP
    4th in SLG
    3rd in wOBA
    3rd in wRC+
    And note they are .004 behind the Braves in wOBA and 1 point behind them in wRC+.

    Let's look at just nonpitchers (So now we can include the AL, still unfair because they specifically find a 9th good hitter, but it's more fair):
    T-3rd in OBP
    6th in SLG
    5th in wOBA
    6th in wRC+

    Our offense is great. Going from Schwarber to Castellanos doesn't come CLOSE to moving the damn needle in actually improving this team.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    100% me guessing here, but IMO Almora isn't that far from being nontendered next winter.

    If so, maybe the Cubs would rather just give up on Almora a few months early and keep the prospects.
    Problem with that is then they really have no late inning defensive guy for CF or the OF for that matter outside of Heyward

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I think it isnít as simple as saying what does Castellanos give us than Bote doesnít. While Boteís line looks very good againts righties it has been in mostly matchups type situations. Betting on Bote everyday is a risk. You canít compare Bote to Castellanos one plays everyday one doesnít .

    While Castellanos line this year isnít good he hit them at a 117 wrc last year although with a high babip. He also got to a slow start and is starting to get hot now. Even with his overall line againts righties this year he had 171 iso againts them. Not great but not awful

    He destroys lefties . This team offense againts lefties is Baez / Bryant / Contreras . Adding another guy would be a good get. If they end up facing the Dodgers in a possible playoff series having that bat againts Kershaw / Hill/ Ryu would be nice.

    Defensively he is atrocious no doubt overall in his career.. With that said their RF situation isnít really good in RF most days because you have Heyward playing a lot of CF and Bryant playing more that you would like in RF. Prior to this year Heyward really had been okay in CF and if he focuses more on that position itís possible he gets better. We have seen it with Javy this year.

    Playing OF in Detroit is really difficult that is a huge park. I think Wrigley could help Castellanos on defense. I think he can help this team. Would I like a CF that hits and plays defense ? Sure but there isnít one that is realistic out there.

    Edit: It isnít possible that a player can get better with the glove ? The numbers that CP posted on defense suggest that. I absolutely believe that he could be making progress with the glove.
    The numbers he posted are from this year. Which is still a small sample. Defensive stats aren't good as it is. Using a partial season's worth of them is literally completely worthless. Yes a player can improve, but they need to prove it over multiple seasons defensively before it's something worth putting stock into.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    And again: If you want Castellanos for LF here's what you do instead of trading for him:

    Start Willson in LF against lefties. Have him split more time with Caratini at catcher vs RHP.

    You get your crushing of lefties. You get your bad outfield defense. You still get great production at catcher. You get Caratini more playing time. You give up 0 prospects. You get Willson in the lineup more AND he is likely more fresh in general.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    791
    They're also 1st in creating outstanding on the base paths and atrocious in RISP. Baserunning alone has cost them nearly 20 runs this year. Another SP doesn't move the needle between this team and the other contenders either, as whoever's available is likely off the roster or in the pen come playoffs. So how do you propose to bridge the gap between the Cubs and the other playoff teams?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    12,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    The numbers he posted are from this year. Which is still a small sample. Defensive stats aren't good as it is. Using a partial season's worth of them is literally completely worthless. Yes a player can improve, but they need to prove it over multiple seasons defensively before it's something worth putting stock into.
    I donít think he needs to do it for multiple seasons to prove anything. I like to see how he looks at the end of the year on defense before claiming he has improved but at this point he is in on pace to finish the year at a better rate of n defense.

    I disagree with you on this one I think he can help this team Considering how much time Bryant is playing RF where he isnít all that good. Not going to claim Castellanos is a perfect add because he isnít but if he comes cheaply and I donít see why he shouldnít I be okay with it.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    They're also 1st in creating outstanding on the base paths and atrocious in RISP. Baserunning alone has cost them nearly 20 runs this year. Another SP doesn't move the needle between this team and the other contenders either, as whoever's available is likely off the roster or in the pen come playoffs. So how do you propose to bridge the gap between the Cubs and the other playoff teams?
    They are NOT atrocious with RISP. They are better with RISP than with nobody on, by a WIDE margin:
    We are hitting ****ing .251/.356/.454 for an .811OPS with RISP.
    We are hitting .237/.369/.472 for an .841OPS with 2 outs and RISP.

    You're wrong. You're so wrong it's actually unbelievable.

    With nobody on: .238/.314/.427

    Stop being wrong. Actually look **** up before you talk. Because as it turns out, we're actually ****ing unbelievably good with RISP.

    Also, baserunning hasn't come CLOSE to costing us 20 runs. Where the **** did you get that? Our nonpitchers are worth -2.9 runs on the basepaths. We're a perfectly fine team on the bases.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 07-13-2019 at 05:26 PM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I donít think he needs to do it for multiple seasons to prove anything. I like to see how he looks at the end of the year on defense before claiming he has improved but at this point he is in on pace to finish the year at a better rate of n defense.

    I disagree with you on this one I think he can help this team Considering how much time Bryant is playing RF where he isnít all that good. Not going to claim Castellanos is a perfect add because he isnít but if he comes cheaply and I donít see why he shouldnít I be okay with it.
    If you want Castellanos for LF here's what you do instead of trading for him:

    Start Willson in LF against lefties. Have him split more time with Caratini at catcher vs RHP.

    You get your crushing of lefties. You get your bad outfield defense. You still get great production at catcher. You get Caratini more playing time. You give up 0 prospects. You get Willson in the lineup more AND he is likely more fresh in general.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    12,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    If you want Castellanos for LF here's what you do instead of trading for him:

    Start Willson in LF against lefties. Have him split more time with Caratini at catcher vs RHP.

    You get your crushing of lefties. You get your bad outfield defense. You still get great production at catcher. You get Caratini more playing time. You give up 0 prospects. You get Willson in the lineup more AND he is likely more fresh in general.
    And you are adding what lefty masher in a his scenario ? Contreras is going to be in the lineup regardless of where he plays. There isnít enough data on Caratini againts lefties to suggest he will hit them. He was awful againts them in 2018 has hit them well over a small sample size this year to make his career line againts them look ok.

    This team needs a lefty masher . They can t count on Contreras / Javy / KB crushing them all the time.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    50,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    And you are adding what lefty masher in a his scenario ? Contreras is going to be in the lineup regardless of where he plays. There isnít enough data on Caratini againts lefties to suggest he will hit them. He was awful againts them in 2018 has hit them well over a small sample size this year to make his career line againts them look ok.

    This team needs a lefty masher . They can t count on Contreras / Javy / KB crushing them all the time.
    You're adding Caratini. Who is a good hitter in general. He was an awful hitter last year (in the MLB) regardless of literally any context. But he was great in the minors, and I believe he is a legitimately good hitter. He hit lefties well last year in the minors. And he hit them well the year before that in the minors, too. No reason to believe he won't continue to do so in the majors.

    I just disagree we need to add a bat that only improves us against LHP and literally nothing else. If we want to do that, we can do it for far cheaper than Castellanos I'm sure. Hell, despite his struggles against LHP this year, Bote had an OPS over 1.200 last year in the minors against them. And he put up an .874OPS against them in the majors, too.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 07-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,534
    Cashner to Boston

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    43,867
    Todd Frazier does more for the team than Castellanos, IMO.

    Like I mentioned earlier and Doog just brought up, Contreras in LF solves the problem without using any resources.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    21,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    Cashner to Boston
    Yup. First move of many that could happen possibly by deadline

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


Page 3 of 202 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •