Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 218 of 229 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 3422
    Where is this money coming from to afford Strasburg or Cole? They have like 30ish million to fill Zobrist,Hamels,Cishek,Castellanos,Kintzler and Strop's spots. How are they going to pull that off if you throw 25-30M at just the SP?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Where is this money coming from to afford Strasburg or Cole? They have like 30ish million to fill Zobrist,Hamels,Cishek,Castellanos,Kintzler and Strop's spots. How are they going to pull that off if you throw 25-30M at just the SP?
    If they dont bring any of those players back, there 53.4 mil in 2019 salary right there...

They have 134 mil in committed contracts next year, so if they match this year payroll next year, theyll have just over 100 mil to spend on Arbs, extensions, and any trades, and FAs they add..

NC needs a contract. I want him back badly.
    Last edited by AMM; 09-06-2019 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptamine View Post
    Spending money on relievers is dumb. Let it play out internally and if they need help still get it at the deadline. That's 15m they can save. If Zobrist wants to play still, he wont get near the 15 he got previously, either. After this year he will be looking at like 2/10, if that, IMO. I'd take him back. If not, you've got Bote, with Nico on the periphery.

A pen starting with

Kimbrel
    Wick
    Ryan
    Phelps
    Chatwood

That's not bad at all. Then you have

Underwood
    Wieck
    Plenty of AAAA guys
    Are Kintzler or Cishek gonna get 5m on this market? I have my doubts there as well. We could get one of them back a little cheaper. I see no reason to spend much on the pen. Certainly do not jump the market again.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    If they dont bring any of those players back, there 53.4 mil in 2019 salary right there...

They have 134 mil in committed contracts next year, so if they match this year payroll next year, theyll have just over 100 mil to spend on Arbs, extensions, and any trades, and FAs they add..
    Itís 30 mill after arb raises bud.

I think the bullpen needs to be filled internally. Idk if I would spend much on a starter unless itís Cole. Garret Cole.

NC is priority #1.

I do see a trade or two this offseason ... maybe to fill bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Rumors of Strasburg ďincreasingly likelyĒ to opt out of contract after this season.

Should we take a flier?
    Not interested. Injury history scares me. Would rather go for Cole.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Rendon and Cole should be the number 1 FAs they go after , not saying both, either or..

They can do both if they wanna move some players and spend that money but they need to target those two and get one of them.

If the Cubs are in position to add a 25-30 AAV player on a long term deal this offseason, Iíd be much more interested in Rendon than Cole or Strasburg.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If the Cubs are in position to add a 25-30 AAV player on a long term deal this offseason, Iíd be much more interested in Rendon than Cole or Strasburg.
    He just may be the only guy really available, I gotta feeling the Astros will do their best to keep Cole, considering they will lose both Verlander and Greinke after the 2021 season.

He just may be the only guy really available, I gotta feeling the Astros will do their best to keep Cole, considering they will lose both Verlander and Greinke after the 2021 season.
    I donít even really want that type of money spent on a starting pitcher regardless of it they can sign Rendon or not.

Iíd love the Cubs sign Cole in a world where they just go out and get what they need to win. In a world where they are up against their spending limits, I donít really want a 30ish mil AAV pitcher on a 5-6 year deal eating all their available money.

I donít even really want that type of money spent on a starting pitcher regardless of it they can sign Rendon or not.

Iíd love the Cubs sign Cole in a world where they just go out and get what they need to win. In a world where they are up against their spending limits, I donít really want a 30ish mil AAV pitcher on a 5-6 year deal eating all their available money.
    Nobody really wants that..
    But in the Cubs case, they really dont have any choice but to sign top relievers for that type of money if they want to continue playing with the big boys now, because they have pretty much have nothing in their system to turn too..

Lester and Hamels are at the end..
    Darvish from age 33-36, expect a decline ..
    Hendricks and who knows what they decide to do with Q after next year.

As far as SP goes, cubs are in trouble going forward right now..

Theo and Jed gotta lot of decisions to make about which direction they want to take with this team the next 2 years before their contracts are up.

Nobody really wants that..
    But in the Cubs case, they really dont have any choice but to sign top relievers for that type of money if they want to continue playing with the big boys now, because they have pretty much have nothing in their system to turn too..

Lester and Hamels are at the end..
    Darvish from age 33-36, expect a decline ..
    Hendricks and who knows what they decide to do with Q after next year.

As far as SP goes, cubs are in trouble going forward right now..

Theo and Jed gotta lot of decisions to make about which direction they want to take with this team the next 2 years before their contracts are up.
    You mean starters, not relievers?

Im terms of the rotation next year, Hamels is not under contract so he doesnít matter. They have Hendricks, Darvish, Q, Lester. Youíd have to feel good about the top 3 after this year. Lester is winding out the clock on his contract, but heís still Lester. Heíll probably be about the same guy he is this year. For the 5th spot you donít have to bring in a 30 mil AAV guy. If they want to spend a ton of money, then great, do it. Realistically though, that money would be better spent on the offense.

For the 5th spot in the rotation right now, internally you have Chatwood and Alzolay/AAA group. You could probably get someone like Tanner Roark at about a $10 mil AAV. Maybe you can pick up a starting pitcher via trade. You can pick up a cheaper 1 year option and readdress in July if needed. The Cubs do have other choices.

Im terms of the rotation next year, Hamels is not under contract so he doesnít matter. They have Hendricks, Darvish, Q, Lester. Youíd have to feel good about the top 3 after this year. Lester is winding out the clock on his contract, but heís still Lester. Heíll probably be about the same guy he is this year. For the 5th spot you donít have to bring in a 30 mil AAV guy. If they want to spend a ton of money, then great, do it. Realistically though, that money would be better spent on the offense.

For the 5th spot in the rotation right now, internally you have Chatwood and Alzolay/AAA group. You could probably get someone like Tanner Roark at about a $10 mil AAV. Maybe you can pick up a starting pitcher via trade. You can pick up a cheaper 1 year option and readdress in July if needed. The Cubs do have other choices.
    Yea starters..lol

I was looking more to beyond next year when as of now they only have Darvish who will be 34 in 2021 and Hendricks (31) signed...

As far as next year goes, I'm torn between semi blow up of this team or trying to patch it up with best availables just to compete in 2020..

I'm kinda leaning towards that semi blow up only because I'd rather see them try and get younger and get guys in who can open up another window after next year, over most likely repeating what we've seen the last couple years with the same guys...
    I'm not sure there any quick fix available to get everything they need this offseason

Lots of starting pitching options beyond next year. They might even have a couple good internal ones by then. Iím not signing Cole/Stras because Iím worried about pitching beyond next year. You sign him if heís the best use of their resources, but not out of a need that might not even be a need.