Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 229 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I wish Almora would get Castellanos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not trade Almora for Castellanos. Sorry, a rental gets them someone low in the Cubs top 30 prospects. Maybe 2 fliers. Not Almora.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I do not trade Almora for Castellanos. Sorry, a rental gets them someone low in the Cubs top 30 prospects. Maybe 2 fliers. Not Almora.
    Iím fine with that if itís someone closer to 20-30. We are not in a position to give up top 15 prospects for a rental.

Yeah as was previously mentioned, Castellanos isn't going to get much. We saw what JD Martinez got just a couple of seasons ago and Castellanos is nowhere near that level. You could probably throw Lange and Zagunis at Detroit and get him.

Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    TDL is less than 3 weeks away! One of the most fun times of the year, and it should be even more entertaining this year with the elimination of the second, end of August deadline for waiver-clearers.

Yes, please:
    Nick Castellanos
    Ken Giles
    Will Smith
    Starling Marte

Probably can't afford:
    Whit Merrifield
    Matthew Boyd
    Felipe Vasquez
    Brad Hand

Meh:
    Jake Diekman
    Jake Wheeler

No, thanks:
    David Peralta
    Marcus Stroman
    Shane Green
    Andrew Cashner
    Terrance Gore
    Billy Hamilton

Hell no:
    Eric Sogard
    Cubs will end up with a meh or below because they wont pay for anything better in money or top prospects

I'd bet good money that Contreras would grade as well or better than Castellanos in LF

Just cut Descalso and Russell and call up Davis and Machado. Give Vic the lion's share at C.

Why anyone is even mentioning Castellanos is beyond my comprehension. He's a slightly above average hitter and arguably the worst defensive player in baseball. So what, we go from:

Gold Glove defense/Solid hitter in RF
    Great defense/Atrocious hitter in CF

to:
    Atrocious defense/Solid hitter in RF
    Mediocre defense/Solid hitter in CF

What the **** does Castellanos give us that Bote doesn't, a really ****** glove instead of a solid one?

**** that. If we give up anything for Castellanos our front office is filled with a bunch of failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Why anyone is even mentioning Castellanos is beyond my comprehension. He's a slightly above average hitter and arguably the worst defensive player in baseball. So what, we go from:

to:

What the **** does Castellanos give us that Bote doesn't, a really ****** glove instead of a solid one?

**** that. If we give up anything for Castellanos our front office is filled with a bunch of failures.
    Or you use Schwarber in another deal and Castellanos is a short term replacement for another bad defender but provides a nice offensive upgrade.

I think teams and ballparks can have a disproportionate effect on defensive metrics. We saw it with Fowler. Last year the story in zjuly was that Machado was the worst defensive SS in the league and atrocious, but as soon as he got to LA he was fine at SS. Castellanos will never be a good defender, but Iím not sure heís that much worse than Schwarberís defense this year if he was in LF for the Cubs.

to:

I don't like him in an everyday role either but he destroys lefties and I'd certainly like him in a platoon role with Schwarber. He hits righties well enough to be a much better bat off the bench than what we have. We are really struggling against lefties, so his services could be valuable in that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    100% me guessing here, but IMO Almora isn't that far from being nontendered next winter.

If so, maybe the Cubs would rather just give up on Almora a few months early and keep the prospects.

If we could only have one thing I would want a center fielder who can get on base and hit decent, preferably someone who could bat leadoff. Easier said than done but to me this is the biggest need

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Or you use Schwarber in another deal and Castellanos is a short term replacement for another bad defender but provides a nice offensive upgrade.

I think teams and ballparks can have a disproportionate effect on defensive metrics. We saw it with Fowler. Last year the story in zjuly was that Machado was the worst defensive SS in the league and atrocious, but as soon as he got to LA he was fine at SS. Castellanos will never be a good defender, but Iím not sure heís that much worse than Schwarberís defense this year if he was in LF for the Cubs.
    Wait, what? Schwarber is an average LF. And isn't even our real problem. The upgrade from Nick to Kyle with the bat simply isn't enough to move the needle. Firstly, because Schwarber has been exactly as good at hitting righties as Castellanos. And secondly, because Castellanos is an atrocious fielder. He makes Schwarber look like a gold glover. Over the last two seasons Schwarber has been worth -2 runs by DRS and +8 by UZR.

Castellanos is UNREAL bad, like Adam Dunn bad. He's been worth -24 by DRS and -16.9 by UZR.

Castellanos is not a good player. And does not make our team better. Also, we are league average at hitting against lefties. That's not great, but it's not worth giving something up for the lesser half of a platoon guy. He's so atrociously bad. At that point, just put Willson in RF vs lefties. Seriously. Castellanos is so bad defensively, Willson will not be worse.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 07-13-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    If we could only have one thing I would want a center fielder who can get on base and hit decent, preferably someone who could bat leadoff. Easier said than done but to me this is the biggest need
    We just need a few more good hitters. We have five guys all essentially having career seasons. If you add two solid bats to that lineup every day, then that team is going to score a **** ton of runs. Ideal leadoff man or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    We just need a few more good hitters. We have five guys all essentially having career seasons. If you add two solid bats to that lineup every day, then that team is going to score a **** ton of runs. Ideal leadoff man or not.

We need literally 1 solid bat that can play CF. Anything else just isn't going to be a real upgrade for us. We have five guys having great years, and at least two other guys hitting well (Bote and Heyward). Anything that is not an upgrade to CF isn't moving the needle for the team.

If we need anything other than that it's a SP. Everyone is so focused on arguably the best offense in the NL it's crazy. Seriously, the teams ahead of us in R/G are Colorado, LA, and Arizona. And only one of those teams doesn't play in a bandbox. The difference between our offense and LA's is 6 runs over the course of the year so far. Literally as of the typing of this if LA scores 4 runs or fewer today we will have the same runs per game as them. I mean, our offense is great.

2019 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Wait, what? Schwarber is an average LF. And isn't even our real problem. The upgrade from Nick to Kyle with the bat simply isn't enough to move the needle. Firstly, because Schwarber has been exactly as good at hitting righties as Castellanos. And secondly, because Castellanos is an atrocious fielder. He makes Schwarber look like a gold glover. Over the last two seasons Schwarber has been worth -2 runs by DRS and +8 by UZR.

Castellanos is UNREAL bad, like Adam Dunn bad. He's been worth -24 by DRS and -16.9 by UZR.

Castellanos is not a good player. And does not make our team better. Also, we are league average at hitting against lefties. That's not great, but it's not worth giving something up for the lesser half of a platoon guy. He's so atrociously bad. At that point, just put Willson in RF vs lefties. Seriously. Castellanos is so bad defensively, Willson will not be worse.
    In RF this year Castellanos has been worth -5 DRS and a -6.5 UZR/150

In LF this year Schwarber has been worth -4 DRS and a -3.2 UZR/150

Itís not very different. I think moving to the easier position, to a smaller home ballpark outfield and to a more analytical team can offset most of that difference. Offensively, Castellanos has been the much better player this year and the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    In RF this year Castellanos has been worth -5 DRS and a -6.5 UZR/150

In LF this year Schwarber has been worth -4 DRS and a -3.2 UZR/150

Itís not very different. I think moving to the easier position, to a smaller home ballpark outfield and to a more analytical team can offset most of that difference. Offensively, Castellanos has been the much better player this year and the last couple of years.
    One season just isn't worth much. There are 1400 other innings of him being atrocious that hold way more weight to me than his play this year.

And he's still worse, and not even an improvement against righties. He's not making us significantly better. Literally a league average CF is a way bigger improvement than what Castellanos brings to this team. The difference between them is not worth giving up literally anything of value. It's MAYBE half a win over the course of the rest of the year. And that's probably being generous.

And again: He is ONLY an upgrade offensively against lefties.

I just want to re-emphasize this: Our offense is great. That is not what we need to improve. It's just not. Making incremental upgrades just isn't doing anything. Either upgrade CF or don't trade for a bat.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 07-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Page 2 of 229 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast