Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    no one is saying max + 3 picks... what we are saying is you at least try... I don't think for 1 second MIL would have matched a max offer.
    But you did post that you would've maxed him. That's what I was addressing. At his current price, I think it's definitely debatable.

I wouldnít have maxed..

Would have paid what he got though, assuming the picks werenít necessary..

Quote Originally Posted by smood999 View Post
    But you did post that you would've maxed him. That's what I was addressing. At his current price, I think it's definitely debatable.
    i would have... we have nothing on the books for 21 except RJ.

and if cap space is such a concern, well Brog would have made DSJR & Frank very expendable... move those 2 and you clear $10m and probably get a couple of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    I wouldnít have maxed..

Would have paid what he got though, assuming the picks werenít necessary..
    But they were and that's definitely apart of it.

i would have... we have nothing on the books for 21 except RJ.

and if cap space is such a concern, well Brog would have made DSJR & Frank very expendable... move those 2 and you clear $10m and probably get a couple of picks.
    That's not a smart use of money and at that point his cost would clearly exceed his on court value. You cannot win that way. He would have to be able to be one of the two best players on the team long term to justify it.

That's not a smart use of money and at that point his cost would clearly exceed his on court value. You cannot win that way. He would have to be able to be one of the two best players on the team long term to justify it.
    We'd still have max cap room and many assets to trade if need be. His max was a baby max... there is not only one way to win. But I do feel pretty comfortable saying we cannot win with our current PG play.

Realistically Brog is a 20-22m player, he's definitely better than $15m "average starter" money... if you pay him $27m instead I don't see how that means you cant win. Every team has guys that make a bit more than they should, and some that make less. THat's the beauty of having a team mostly of rookies, everyone is cost controlled, they won't be for long though. So while we keep sitting on cap space now for another 2 years... we will have guys that will need to be paid and that cap will be used anyway

STILLA its ok to not agree with every move we make or think everything we do is right and well thought out, it doesn't make you any less of a fan. Honestly this FO hasn't shown reason yet to give them eveyr benefit of the doubt
    Agreed, its not like Jerry West is running the team.

Honestly I am more afraid if our FO actually targeted the players they signed because it would mean a completely different thing. All I know is this roster won't win at all. It won't mesh at all. It won't develop our youth. It won't be exciting to watch. Next year around this time when we are picking 9th or something, the same fans defending these moves will be the same ones begging for heads to roll in the front office.

I wouldnít have maxed Brogdon at all. Guy was a borderline starter on his own team with a lingering foot issue.

Nycerican, clearly you donít care about flexibility and thatís fine. You were OK with keeping THJ and you had no issue with maxing out Brogdon, Russ or even taking on Wallís contract.

But letís not pretend that thatís a widely held view. Flexibility is a premium in the league now and Perry/Mills have taken that maybe to the extreme, but it is still a logical strategy nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba313 View Post
    I wouldnít have maxed Brogdon at all. Guy was a borderline starter on his own team with a lingering foot issue.

Nycerican, clearly you donít care about flexibility and thatís fine. You were OK with keeping THJ and you had no issue with maxing out Brogdon, Russ or even taking on Wallís contract.

But letís not pretend that thatís a widely held view. Flexibility is a premium in the league now and Perry/Mills have taken that maybe to the extreme, but it is still a logical strategy nonetheless.
    Not that i don't care about flexibility but we've had max cap space 3-4 times already since 2010. players don't care about that, they go where they want to teams on the rise, no one is coming here in 2021 either just because we cleared the books. we would still have tons of flexibility, 2 guys under contract in '21 doesn't change that.

Yea I was ok keeping THJR b/c we still had max cap space and guess what, we couldn't even get 1 max, let alone two. so its not something that would have hurt us much if we kept him on the roster. I mean THJR or Portis at $15.5m... is it really a big difference? we just swapped out contracts for more contracts.

so no, don't spend recklessly... but if you have a chance to sign a very good young player at a position of need why not at least try?

For the record I floated taking Wall if Beal was included but its not something I've given much thought to.

We'd still have max cap room and many assets to trade if need be. His max was a baby max... there is not only one way to win. But I do feel pretty comfortable saying we cannot win with our current PG play.

Realistically Brog is a 20-22m player, he's definitely better than $15m "average starter" money... if you pay him $27m instead I don't see how that means you cant win. Every team has guys that make a bit more than they should, and some that make less. THat's the beauty of having a team mostly of rookies, everyone is cost controlled, they won't be for long though. So while we keep sitting on cap space now for another 2 years... we will have guys that will need to be paid and that cap will be used anyway
    If a team is allocating that type of money to a player like Brogdon, they cannot win. That's not just a little overpay, if you gave him the max, that's close to double what you highlighted he was probably worth. That's poor team building.

Other teams that have done that, only did it on a 1 or 2 year deal, not the full 4 years.

Not that i don't care about flexibility but we've had max cap space 3-4 times already since 2010. players don't care about that, they go where they want to teams on the rise, no one is coming here in 2021 either just because we cleared the books. we would still have tons of flexibility, 2 guys under contract in '21 doesn't change that.

Yea I was ok keeping THJR b/c we still had max cap space and guess what, we couldn't even get 1 max, let alone two. so its not something that would have hurt us much if we kept him on the roster. I mean THJR or Portis at $15.5m... is it really a big difference? we just swapped out contracts for more contracts.

so no, don't spend recklessly... but if you have a chance to sign a very good young player at a position of need why not at least try?

For the record I floated taking Wall if Beal was included but its not something I've given much thought to.
    Maxing Brogdon is the definition of spending recklessly.

Maxing Brogdon is the definition of spending recklessly.
    Brogdon and Randle at $45m total, with all our young guys and picks going forward is not spending recklessly. especially if we could turn around and unload salary of DSJR & or Frank and pick up assets in the process. but agree to disagree. You don't have to have a roster full of good contracts to win.

reckless spending is what the Lakers did with Mosogov and Deng, or what we did with Noah.
    Last edited by nycericanguy; 07-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Brogdon and Randle at $45m total, with all our young guys and picks going forward is not spending recklessly. especially if we could turn around and unload salary of DSJR & or Frank and pick up assets in the process. but agree to disagree. You don't have to have a roster full of good contracts to win.

reckless spending is what the Lakers did with Mosogov and Deng, or what we did with Noah.
    What's wrong with being patient and allowing them to build and maintain flexibility, without overspending, like a normal team?

What's wrong with being patient and allowing them to build and maintain flexibility, without overspending, like a normal team?
    Because it's not going to last long BK can't be ignored anymore and that dwarfgoblin owner isn't going to let Steve Perry continue at snail pace forever.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    Because it's not going to last long BK can't be ignored anymore and that dwarfgoblin owner isn't going to let Steve Perry continue at snail pace forever.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
    Aside from rightly calling Dolan a dwarfgoblin what the heck are you talking about?

What does Brooklyn have to do with our time for a rebuild?

So we should make bad moves on the assumption that Dolan will force us to make even worse moves in the future? Thatís a new one

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast