Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tigers Sign Avila to Extension/Tigers Extinction

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...on/1666465001/

Well, there you have it. The extinction of the Detroit Tigers. We are looking at another 6 years of baseball hell. In Al's time here, I have not seen one player get better, one good FA signing, one high end international signing, or one trade that brought us a "quality" prospect in return. I'm glad my business doesn't promote or extend for such failure. The only good thing that I can see (and it's boarder line), is that he has drafted decently recently but that could be because we have had top 10 picks in the last 3 years with another coming next season. Someone besides the kiss *** Detroit media, please convince me WHY he gets or deserves an extension? Everyone wants to point to our minor system improving but has it? Has it really? Erie (AA) is the only one of our minor league teams over .500 and some of them are very pathetic.

I really thought this was the last year for AA but apparently Chris Illitch doesn't have the same passion to win that his father had. I would love to be proven wrong here because I have lost my love for baseball due to this team but for some reason, my thoughts are it won't change until new administration and ownership comes in. No ill will to AA but he just hasn't proven anything to me that makes me think he will be a good GM.

I don’t think he deserved an extension but I also don’t think he’s as bad as you constantly make him out to be.

Surprised he got an extension, but as a guy in charge of a rebuild I'm not too up in arms about it. I'm more wondering about Gardy, is he gonna get extended? He hasn't exactly been working with the best talent, but his results have been pretty poor

I disagree on the no trade that broguht us a quality prospect. Castro has been pretty good. Parades is our best offensive player and was part of the future game. Too early to call Perez and Cameron busts. Tigers have never been a team that has worked the international signings but I agree it's dumb we dont. I didn't get the extension but I can't really hate on it. I don't get giving the manager an extension though.

Our minor legue system has gone from the wrost in baseball to top 10 under Avila's watch so I don't mind giving him some more time to see if his plan will come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    I disagree on the no trade that broguht us a quality prospect. Castro has been pretty good. Parades is our best offensive player and was part of the future game. Too early to call Perez and Cameron busts. Tigers have never been a team that has worked the international signings but I agree it's dumb we dont. I didn't get the extension but I can't really hate on it. I don't get giving the manager an extension though.

Our minor legue system has gone from the wrost in baseball to top 10 under Avila's watch so I don't mind giving him some more time to see if his plan will come to fruition.
    Pretty much exactly this.

I wouldn’t give up on Candelerio and Stewart just yet either. Not sure if Avila was GM yet when Stewart was drafted but whatever
    Last edited by One Nut Kruk; 07-11-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Pretty much exactly this.

I wouldn’t give up on Candelerio and Stewart just yet either. Not sure if Avila was GM yet when Stewart was drafted but whatever
    I was only talking about the traded prospects since he singled out all bad trades. Rogers is also the top defensive C in the minors and his bat has come alive this year. Candy looked decent last year but has hit a brick wall this year but has looked usable since his recall.

Wow, totally surprised by the warm/fuzzy feelings you guys have for Avila. I am definitely not in that category and I certainly feel that he has gotten the short end of the stick on most, if not all, of his trades (depending on Parades- my favorite prospect not named Manning) and he radar's his moves where other GM's take advantage of him. I did mention his drafting hasn't been bad so I'm not a total curmudgeon. We will see in two years if Avila was a good GM or not.

I think we all agree on your last sentnce tbh Hoog. I don't think any of the responses have been warm or fuzzy either. Just more along the lines of "blah". We won't know anything for another couple years so I don't see a reason to fire Al or give long term money to either.

Not only do I have any complaints, I applaud the extension, it was certainly the right move.

Why on Earth would we start a rebuild, go from the last place farm in the majors to top third and improving yet more, and expect to replace the GM 2 years in?

The entire analytics department...essentially rebuilt from scratch the day starting the day he got hired...sure you guys all think, "oh we have analytics now...poof...overnight"....right? nah, takes time to build this stuff when starting from the beginning.

Market forces affected previous trades.

Only complaint I have, should have traded Fulmer, not too big of a complaint though as if he wasn't getting offers that I'd have liked...I'm sure I would have complained it wasn't enough like most everybody does when their team makes a trade.

If you wanna be the Yankees, just go pull for the Yankees please. Otherwise this is our process and we are about halfway through it.

Its why they call it "The Darkest Hour"...

I guess we will just have disagree with holding on to AA. I don't think he's done a very good job and others think he has so I'll leave it at that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    I guess we will just have disagree with holding on to AA. I don't think he's done a very good job and others think he has so I'll leave it at that for now.
    it's not necessarily that people think he's done a good job, it's that people seeing a lengthy rebuild feel it'll be difficult to judge whether he's done a good job or not for a couple years