Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Samuel L Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time. There are like 10 actors in Marvel Movies that are in the top 25
    But that is not because of Samuel L Jackson, it's because he was in the Star Wars prequels and half the Marvel movies. The marquee draw of those movies is not Samuel L Jackson.

He has probably only been the lead in 1/3 of all the movies he's ever made. He is not the biggest movie star of all-time because he's never been the biggest name in movies. Like nobody is making entire movies and franchises off of Samuel L Jackson...

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    But that is not because of Samuel L Jackson, it's because he was in the Star Wars prequels and half the Marvel movies. The marquee draw of those movies is not Samuel L Jackson.

He has probably only been the lead in 1/3 of all the movies he's ever made. He is not the biggest movie star of all-time because he's never been the biggest name in movies. Like nobody is making entire movies and franchises off of Samuel L Jackson...
    So is Jennifer Lawrence a bigger movie star than Samuel Jackson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post

Definitely

Samuel L Jackson probably isn't in the top 100 of all time. Like some else said, he's not even a lead actor most of the time.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Depends on your definition of biggest. I understand he’s never been the main guy but you can’t deny how recognizable SLJ is or how much the guys made. Star Wars, Marvel, Tarantino, all helped him but he was obviously sought after too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Samuel L Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time. There are like 10 actors in Marvel Movies that are in the top 25

Cause Sam L did any role you chucked him

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    Cause Sam L did any role you chucked him
    But it’s not like there were a super amount of **** roles.

I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Probably not only because Samuel Jackson has been a movie star for the past 30 years whereas Jennifer Lawrence has been one what the past 10? If Jennifer Lawrence can keep up her star power and lead actress aura for another 10-15 years she probably will be.

But ask yourself, what is the biggest movie Samuel Jackson was in where he was the lead actor in the entire movie, where he got lead billing. Shaft? A Time to Kill?

His top 20 movies are him as a side character. Tom Cruise is hands down a bigger movie star. Can you imagine a movie, ever in their careers where Samuel Jackson would have got top billing over Tom Cruise? I can't.

Probably not only because Samuel Jackson has been a movie star for the past 30 years whereas Jennifer Lawrence has been one what the past 10? If Jennifer Lawrence can keep up her star power and lead actress aura for another 10-15 years she probably will be.

But ask yourself, what is the biggest movie Samuel Jackson was in where he was the lead actor in the entire movie, where he got lead billing. Shaft? A Time to Kill?

His top 20 movies are him as a side character. Tom Cruise is hands down a bigger movie star. Can you imagine a movie, ever in their careers where Samuel Jackson would have got top billing over Tom Cruise? I can't.
    How dare you forget the master piece that is snakes on a plane

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

But it’s not like there were a super amount of **** roles.

well, he was AMAZING in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and a few others. But he seriously did any role, no matter the cheese level (Snakes on a Plane). He was basically just a movie whore for a decade. I love him, but if we are bringing him up, Cameron Diaz is coming up for the same reason, and she isn't in the conversation.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    well, he was AMAZING in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and a few others. But he seriously did any role, no matter the cheese level (Snakes on a Plane). He was basically just a movie whore for a decade. I love him, but if we are bringing him up, Cameron Diaz is coming up for the same reason, and she isn't in the conversation.
    I guess I bring him up because of how broad ‘biggest’ is. Being in so many movies, so many box office hits, being the top grossing actor of all time. Those have to be under some definition of ‘biggest.’

I guess I bring him up because of how broad ‘biggest’ is. Being in so many movies, so many box office hits, being the top grossing actor of all time. Those have to be under some definition of ‘biggest.’

And again, as a peripheral character. Is Robert Horry the biggest basketball star of all time? He grossed the most championships in the last 50 years. He was on a lot of big hit franchises like the Clutch City Rockets, Kobe + Shaq Lakers, and the Spurs dynasty.
    Last edited by rhino17; 07-17-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Who Is The Biggest Movie Star of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    And again, as a peripheral character. Is Robert Horry the biggest basketball star of all time? He grossed the most championships in the last 50 years. He was on a lot of big hit franchises like the Clutch City Rockets, Kobe + Shaq Lakers, and the Spurs dynasty.
    Yet Samuel L Jackson is immensely more recognize-able. There’s a difference

He’s not who I would classify as the all time biggest although you can’t deny he’s in some category of it do to what I stated.

His name is also Big Shot Rob sooo he he does fit the bill

Also, Jackson has been in movies as the lead or as one of the main characters with success. Comparing to Horry would be apt if Horry also went on to lead good teams or at least be the 2nd/3rd best player on really good teams.

Last edited by koldjerky; 07-18-2019 at 05:58 AM.

I’d probably put Tom Cruise it Tom Hanks as my tops.

You can try to remove Samuel L Jackson from the discussion because of being an ancillary actor but the dude basically nailed every role he’s ever been in primary or ancillary role be damned.

I’d probably put Tom Cruise it Tom Hanks as my tops.

You can try to remove Samuel L Jackson from the discussion because of being an ancillary actor but the dude basically nailed every role he’s ever been in primary or ancillary role be damned.
    Yeah Samuel L Jackson did very good with the roles he was given, but the other side of that is he was only ever really give "Samuel L Jackson" roles. It's not like anybody was asking him to display a ton of range. 75% of his roles are just "be Samuel L Jackson" (not to say he is incapable of other roles).

But for me, imagine if we took out the Star Wars Prequels and the Marvel movies from his earnings, he'd be nowhere near the top. Imagine if we judged every actor based on their leading role movies, he wouldn't be in the top 25 highest grossing actors.

Heck, just looking at why he's the highest grossing movie star and you see it's in part because he had bit roles in things like Jurassic Park, and The Other Guys. That's like maybe 10 minutes total of screen time and adds half a billion to his grossing total.

But I agree, Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks are probably the biggest of the "modern" era (I'm incapable of comparing them to the generation before that I didn't see a ton of like Paul Newman, James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc.).

Yeah Samuel L Jackson did very good with the roles he was given, but the other side of that is he was only ever really give "Samuel L Jackson" roles. It's not like anybody was asking him to display a ton of range. 75% of his roles are just "be Samuel L Jackson" (not to say he is incapable of other roles).

But for me, imagine if we took out the Star Wars Prequels and the Marvel movies from his earnings, he'd be nowhere near the top. Imagine if we judged every actor based on their leading role movies, he wouldn't be in the top 25 highest grossing actors.

Heck, just looking at why he's the highest grossing movie star and you see it's in part because he had bit roles in things like Jurassic Park, and The Other Guys. That's like maybe 10 minutes total of screen time and adds half a billion to his grossing total.

But I agree, Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks are probably the biggest of the "modern" era (I'm incapable of comparing them to the generation before that I didn't see a ton of like Paul Newman, James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc.).
    And thus we have our ambiguous interpretation of ‘biggest.’

Regardless of the box office franchises he was a part of he was still chosen to be in those roles. Can’t really discredit a guy for being hired into ‘his role’ regardless of how well the movie/franchise did.

He was a big name and regardless of the screen time, directors/producers wanted him in those movies.

I’ll agree that he’s definitely not one of the biggest LEAD actors of all time but overall, the dudes got to be up there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast