Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    DDD is the best actor I have ever seen by a mile, but I think the answer to this question is who is the biggest, ie, the most appealing to the masses. The one(s) that rake in the money at the box office. And DDD is nowhere near some guys like Cruise, Hanks, and in the past Ford, Grant, Wayne.
    Beat me to it. Saw his name popping up and thought the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

didn't Cruise have like 6-7 straight movies back in the 90s that made over $100,000,000 at the box office? Seriously, anything he touches makes shitloads of money
    When I was growing up the 'biggest' movie stars were probably Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Tom Hanks, and Brad Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    When I was growing up the 'biggest' movie stars were probably Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Tom Hanks, and Brad Pitt.
    Cruise, and to a lesser extend Hanks, are STILL the biggest draws out there when they make a movie. We see guys like Will Smith kind of take over a 3-4 year period then fade, but Cruise/Hanks have been churning out money makers for decades, which is why I think the answer starts with them, and trickles down from there..

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Pretty much everyone is listed but I saw Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Dustin Hoffman, Marlon Brando, Warren Beatty, Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, Al Pacino missing.

For women, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor , Barbra Streisand, Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton, Sally Field, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Kathy Bates , Gwyneth Paltrow , Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman, Helen Mirren, Sandra Bullock.
    Last edited by redsox12; 07-15-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

Tom hanks is the biggest and best actor of all time, and to be honest it isn't even close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you cant beat them, join them

Quote Originally Posted by redsox12 View Post
    Pretty much everyone is listed but I saw Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Paul Newman, Gregory Peck, Dustin Hoffman, Marlon Brando, Warren Beatty, Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, Al Pacino missing.

For women, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor , Barbra Streisand, Jane Fonda, Diane Keaton, Sally Field, Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Kathy Bates , Gwyneth Paltrow , Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman, Helen Mirren, Sandra Bullock.
    I listed Ford but what has he done in 10 years really. The more I think of it, the Tom's are a runaway here

Quote Originally Posted by carter80 View Post
    Tom hanks is the biggest and best actor of all time, and to be honest it isn't even close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Best? Not even close. He's not even in the same universe as DDL for example.

I listed Ford but what has he done in 10 years really. The more I think of it, the Tom's are a runaway here
    Star Wars TFA was a smash hit.
    Fan of Red Sox , Chicago Bears , Boston Celtics , Chase Elliott , UVA, Joshi Puroresu

2018-2019 UVA Men's Basketball National Champions

I would say Tom hanks and Meryll Streep

Both universally well regarded, across genre and platform, their movies are well-received and high grossing.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Cruise, and to a lesser extend Hanks, are STILL the biggest draws out there when they make a movie. We see guys like Will Smith kind of take over a 3-4 year period then fade, but Cruise/Hanks have been churning out money makers for decades, which is why I think the answer starts with them, and trickles down from there..
    I think Tom Cruise is only pulling awesome numbers now when it's his Mission Impossible series. I loved Knight and Day, American Made, Elysium, and Edge of Tomorrow. But none of those was really a hit. The Mummy remake absolutely flopped.

From what I've observed is you see people become massive movie stars and then as their star fades, they go back to their franchise and it's the main way they can stay relevant. Will Smith did this with Bad Boys, Tom Cruise with Mission Impossible and Johnny Depp with Pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox12 View Post
    Star Wars TFA was a smash hit.
    right but they HAD to put him in it. It's simply an extension of his previous success (think the new Top Gun).

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think Tom Cruise is only pulling awesome numbers now when it's his Mission Impossible series. I loved Knight and Day, American Made, Elysium, and Edge of Tomorrow. But none of those was really a hit. The Mummy remake absolutely flopped.

From what I've observed is you see people become massive movie stars and then as their star fades, they go back to their franchise and it's the main way they can stay relevant. Will Smith did this with Bad Boys, Tom Cruise with Mission Impossible and Johnny Depp with Pirates.
    good point. I thought Edge of Tomorrow did better. But I still think he is the answer here.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    I would say Tom hanks and Meryll Streep

Both universally well regarded, across genre and platform, their movies are well-received and high grossing.
    did you ever see "Defending Your Life"?

Samuel L Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time. There are like 10 actors in Marvel Movies that are in the top 25

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I’d definitely say Cruise, Jackson, Hanks, Depp are probably the biggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast