Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 555 of 678

Thread: Pete Alonso

  1. #541
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    43,152
    Quote Originally Posted by marychristine View Post
    Dude i dont know what kind of ape you are.

    54 Deep Into the Night
    Racist.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  2. #542
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8,070
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Racist.
    Wrong. It was sexist.

    54 Deep Into the Night

  3. #543
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    37
    Pete Alonso is a Home Run hitter period. He in unable to stop unable to stop swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. He had better get some hitting instructions.

  4. #544
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,737
    Quote Originally Posted by MnMetFan View Post
    Pete Alonso is a Home Run hitter period. He in unable to stop unable to stop swinging at pitches out of the strike zone. He had better get some hitting instructions.
    How many extra-base hits did he get yesterday? How many of them were homers? Now, can we please stop with the nonsense?

    Yes, Pete has a habit of falling into lapses. He's also been forced to play pretty much every game after Dom Smith went down. It's easy to forget he's playing September baseball for the first time in his career. The long season had to have taken it's toll.

    We've seen two different Petes. There's the Pete who crushes the ball with a quick powerful stroke to all fields, depending on where it's pitched. And then there's the Pete who flys open, flails away at p[itches nowhere near the strike zone. My personal, unprofessional opinion, is that we tend to see the latter Pete when he's fatigued.

    But to say the former no longer exists is encroaching on bandit territory. We still see him put extraordinary swings on pitches, like the 50th homer he hit the other day, on a terrific pitcher's pitch over the lower outside corner. That home run was right out of The Natural.

    Still, it's wrong to ignore the other side of the coin, too. He does have to work on being more consistent, and doing a b etter of job of not overswinging and going back to that short compact home run stroke to all fields.

    Early in the season most of his home runs seemed to have been hit to the right of center field. We even saw that in the home run derby. Then after the break he became pull happy.

    It's all part of the evolution of a hitter and it's wrong to think Pete is just a home run hitter. I'd like to see him be a bit more of a tougher out than he now and I'm confident he'll become one.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  5. #545
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    20,288
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    How many extra-base hits did he get yesterday? How many of them were homers? Now, can we please stop with the nonsense?

    Yes, Pete has a habit of falling into lapses. He's also been forced to play pretty much every game after Dom Smith went down. It's easy to forget he's playing September baseball for the first time in his career. The long season had to have taken it's toll.

    We've seen two different Petes. There's the Pete who crushes the ball with a quick powerful stroke to all fields, depending on where it's pitched. And then there's the Pete who flys open, flails away at p[itches nowhere near the strike zone. My personal, unprofessional opinion, is that we tend to see the latter Pete when he's fatigued.

    But to say the former no longer exists is encroaching on bandit territory. We still see him put extraordinary swings on pitches, like the 50th homer he hit the other day, on a terrific pitcher's pitch over the lower outside corner. That home run was right out of The Natural.

    Still, it's wrong to ignore the other side of the coin, too. He does have to work on being more consistent, and doing a b etter of job of not overswinging and going back to that short compact home run stroke to all fields.

    Early in the season most of his home runs seemed to have been hit to the right of center field. We even saw that in the home run derby. Then after the break he became pull happy.

    It's all part of the evolution of a hitter and it's wrong to think Pete is just a home run hitter. I'd like to see him be a bit more of a tougher out than he now and I'm confident he'll become one.
    I agree completely with your analysis.

    Pete has been phenomenal at the plate overall. His wRC+ is 146, McNeil is 144, good for 10th and 12th respectively.

    Pete does go into these lapses where his swing is long and he chases too much, he should be rested a little more next season. Heís appeared 154 games - all but 1 so far. Like all players, I think he could benefit from some rest.

    As of late, he has shown the propensity to drive he ball to dead center...something I think is a good sign. I do however feel as though Pete is pressing for records right now and I canít blame him. Next year, heíll be more seasoned and hopefully comes in even more professional than he already is. Heís easily the most seasoned rookie I have ever seen, Iím confident heíll continue to make adjustments - as heís been doing all season. Hopefully next year, he doesnít have these 3-5 game stretches where heís in a slump trying to either hit home runs or make said adjustments, both offensively and defensively.

    As a young fan, Pete Alonso is the only player Iíve seen demonstrate this kind of power for the Mets. Heís also producing what I would say is the most exciting season by a player that I have ever seen.

    Like you said, heíll definitely get better with time, I believe I mentioned in the other thread, but i can see Pete getting his walk rate up and evolving even farther.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  6. #546
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    I agree completely with your analysis.

    Pete has been phenomenal at the plate overall. His wRC+ is 146, McNeil is 144, good for 10th and 12th respectively.

    Pete does go into these lapses where his swing is long and he chases too much, he should be rested a little more next season. Heís appeared 154 games - all but 1 so far. Like all players, I think he could benefit from some rest.

    As of late, he has shown the propensity to drive he ball to dead center...something I think is a good sign. I do however feel as though Pete is pressing for records right now and I canít blame him. Next year, heíll be more seasoned and hopefully comes in even more professional than he already is. Heís easily the most seasoned rookie I have ever seen, Iím confident heíll continue to make adjustments - as heís been doing all season. Hopefully next year, he doesnít have these 3-5 game stretches where heís in a slump trying to either hit home runs or make said adjustments, both offensively and defensively.

    As a young fan, Pete Alonso is the only player Iíve seen demonstrate this kind of power for the Mets. Heís also producing what I would say is the most exciting season by a player that I have ever seen.

    Like you said, heíll definitely get better with time, I believe I mentioned in the other thread, but i can see Pete getting his walk rate up and evolving even farther.
    The man is a tale of two cities. What annoys me so much about people like Bandit is they're so quick to jump all over him when he struggles only to turn a deaf ear and a blind eye when he rights himself. I definitely want to see more of that swing we saw in the first half. I'd like to see him get away from trying to pull everything. He was so good when he just let his natural power take over.

    So easy to forget he's a rookie. But watch out for those misplaced modifiers.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 09-23-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  7. #547
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    422
    I think we should move Alonso to CF.

  8. #548
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    I think we should move Alonso to CF.
    You could move him to 3rd.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #549
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    You could move him to 3rd.
    Who is on third

  10. #550
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,108
    Who is on 1st.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  11. #551
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Who is on 1st.
    I don't know

  12. #552
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    48,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    I don't know
    3rd base.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #553
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,737
    I'll break your arm if you say who's on first!

  14. #554
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8,070
    Every time I see this **** it reminds me of an 7th grade talent show my friends and I attended high off our *****. Two nerds did this skit. They had all these props and it went on FOREVER. It was the worst time I ever had while high. You just have to roll your eyes at how awful it is.

    54 Deep Into the Night

  15. #555
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I'll break your arm if you say who's on first!
    All i'm trying to find out is whats the guys name on first base!

Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •