Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thanasis Antetokounmpo

Thanasis will be a decisive rotation piece for the Bucks this season...

He is easily the most athletic player in the NBA compared only to Westbrook... For one to understand Thanasis athleticism, Pat Connaughton (who has been the most athletic player in the Bucks roster up to now) would look something similar to Thon Maker if compared to Giannis.

Standing at 6ft/7inch he is by far the shortest out of the four Antetokounmpo brothers with both Kostas and (upcoming) Alex having a body very similar in height and proportions to Giannis, but his wing span is only an inch less than Giannis and his athleticism lets him defend even CFs...

Other than being an excellent defender, his dribbling and ability to read the game is also very good and is quite unselfish too.

The key point with Thanasis will be his shot... If he works this summer as to improve it and becomes a shooting threat, then I can see him having more than 20mins in the rotation. He has always being considered as a potential catch and shooter, but he first played basketball at the age of ...18(!!!) and then at the Greek 2nd division, which has caused him to never have some reliable coaching to back him up...

His long shot has the right curve and timing and never misses by a wide margin and he doesn't hesitate to take the shot if it's the right choice, but the numbers he is putting on the board as well as his long and average range EFG are not up to a satisfactory level.

Still has the potential to become a reliable shooter... If he has the right coaching on the matter and becomes a reliable shooter, then one can expect to see another ...Michael Jordan on the floor but with better defense!

Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    Thanasis will be a decisive rotation piece for the Bucks this season...

He is easily the most athletic player in the NBA compared only to Westbrook... For one to understand Thanasis athleticism, Pat Connaughton (who has been the most athletic player in the Bucks roster up to now) would look something similar to Thon Maker if compared to Giannis.

Standing at 6ft/7inch he is by far the shortest out of the four Antetokounmpo brothers with both Kostas and (upcoming) Alex having a body very similar in height and proportions to Giannis, but his wing span is only an inch less than Giannis and his athleticism lets him defend even CFs...

Other than being an excellent defender, his dribbling and ability to read the game is also very good and is quite unselfish too.

The key point with Thanasis will be his shot... If he works this summer as to improve it and becomes a shooting threat, then I can see him having more than 20mins in the rotation. He has always being considered as a potential catch and shooter, but he first played basketball at the age of ...18(!!!) and then at the Greek 2nd division, which has caused him to never have some reliable coaching to back him up...

His long shot has the right curve and timing and never misses by a wide margin and he doesn't hesitate to take the shot if it's the right choice, but the numbers he is putting on the board as well as his long and average range EFG are not up to a satisfactory level.

Still has the potential to become a reliable shooter... If he has the right coaching on the matter and becomes a reliable shooter, then one can expect to see another ...Michael Jordan on the floor but with better defense!
    Come on man. He is athletic sure. But Michael Jordan with better defense lol. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen on this forum. I am not sure there will be a ton of minutes to go around but hopefully TA can make some contributions to the team.

Also he is an unselfish player but not sure what he has shown as far as dribbling and court vision at the NBA level.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Come on man. He is athletic sure. But Michael Jordan with better defense lol. That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen on this forum. I am not sure there will be a ton of minutes to go around but hopefully TA can make some contributions to the team.

Also he is an unselfish player but not sure what he has shown as far as dribbling and court vision at the NBA level.
    How long it is before you have watched a game of Thanasis? Is it 3 years? Well... you'll be surprised!

I've watched Thanasis on all his past 3 years in Europe games and the progress he has made is really impressive... His ball handling, court vision and defense is state of the art and he continuously improves his shot... we also all know by now that my basketball knowledge exceeds yours by far...

After the FIBA world cap and the Bucks training camp, be prepared for a shock! The Bucks didn't sign Thanasis because he is Giannis' brother as many foolishly think... They got him because they are contending for a championship this season!

Quote Originally Posted by buckalis View Post
    How long it is before you have watched a game of Thanasis? Is it 3 years? Well... you'll be surprised!

I've watched Thanasis on all his past 3 years in Europe games and the progress he has made is really impressive... His ball handling, court vision and defense is state of the art and he continuously improves his shot... we also all know by now that my basketball knowledge exceeds yours by far...

After the FIBA world cap and the Bucks training camp, be prepared for a shock! The Bucks didn't sign Thanasis because he is Giannis' brother as many foolishly think... They got him because they are contending for a championship this season!
    In the B Greek League he shot under 23 percent from 3 with a closer 3-pt line and hasn't averaged 1 assist per game in any year. He is athletic and can play defense, but he hasn't improved his offense or it hasn't translated. Not sure what you are basing your assessment off of unless the eye test I guess. Because numbers-wise he hasn't improved at all. Averages more assists than TOs. I would be surprised if he's a major part of the rotation with wing depth the Bucks have.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    In the B Greek League he shot under 23 percent from 3 with a closer 3-pt line and hasn't averaged 1 assist per game in any year. He is athletic and can play defense, but he hasn't improved his offense or it hasn't translated. Not sure what you are basing your assessment off of unless the eye test I guess. Because numbers-wise he hasn't improved at all. Averages more assists than TOs. I would be surprised if he's a major part of the rotation with wing depth the Bucks have.
    Forget about the Greek league...

Panathinaikos has had 6 European championships in 8 Euroleague finals... The Greek championship is like having them play in the summer league for comparison, the players are using it only for practice & show off... There are seasons that they've won the Greek championship undefeated and if defeated, it's only to Olympiakos (3 Euroleague championships) a team that is in crises the later couple of seasons.

By the way... the 3pt line being 2 feet closer in Europe, is what is causing all players to have reduced statistics and also total scores to be 20% less per every minute played when they play in the Euroleague or other FIBA event in comparison to the NBA... Having the 3pt line a bit closer and the court a bit narrower, makes it far easier for coaches to spread the defense on the periphery.

To make a long talk short, the European basketball is defense minded, while the NBA is offense minded. In an NBA game you have an average of 210-220pts scored in 48mins per game, in Europe you have an average of 150-160pts in 40 mins per game. Yet, more and more non USA players are hired by teams in the NBA after coach Popovic introduced the defense minded game in the NBA.

In addition, the referees are much better in the Euroleague & the FIBA games... They will never allow players to cheat on the defenders with eye popping travels all the time, like NBA referees do. No wonder why all American referees that were proposed by the NBA for the FIBA World cup were "cut"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zmfnxXHRbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Vl8RvgLywz8

EDIT: Thanasis shot 31% of his 3pts in the Euroleague this season and keeps working and improving his shot...
    Last edited by buckalis; 07-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    The results of Thanasis working on his shot this summer start showing... 17 PTS, 5 REB, 3 STL & 2 AST on 5/9 (56%) 3pt shooting vs, the National team of Serbia... Not bad for one that ..."can't shoot" as many say...

I know many idiots that say "the Bucks got "trash" Thanasis because he is Giannis' brother"... Only an idiot may think that Giannis would risk a roster spot behind him in order to weaken the support he needs in order to cotend for the championship... I'm sure Thanasis will prove to be a solid piece for the Bucks rotation this season and an absolute "steal"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast