Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Red Wings sign Calvin Pickard

Sounds like Calvin Pickard is joining the #RedWings on a two-year deal. He's expected to compete with Jonathan Bernier in training camp to back up Jimmy Howard.
    via Frank Servalli on twitter

I have no idea if this guy is any good.

Also saw we signed some brawler

oh and Filppula is back

(kinda happy bout that one tbh lol, no shrug for Flip)

can't wait to see what Stevie Y can do with this roster

Pickard is insurance at Grand Rapids for the most part. He's a vet that can be brought up in the event one of our top goalies has an injury. The Filppula signing was not a huge shock because he is taking Vanek's spot really. The thing I didn't like was hearing AA will be moved back to wing. I thought he really played better being at C last year. His intensity seemed to rise with being handed that role. Stevie said that Fil would be playing center and AA would move back to "his more natural" wing position. He must feel that's his fit so I'll go with it.

The Nemeth signing I really loved. He's a stay at home, defense and physicality first type defensemen, and this is what I wanted. I wanted it to be a RH guy but after hearing SY say he looks to pair him with a RH guy like Green or Hronek the pairing makes perfect sense. I just read an article that said he is still keeping an eye on the market for RW and D but isn't going to spend or go beyond just to sign one. They are stressing competition for the young guys and the all the vets to make this roster. They are basically saying the best player gets the spots. I hope he's true because then we won't see Daley or Ericsson on the roster, right?