Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 230

Thread: Polytheism

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Why are we here, according to science? In short: to reproduce. More specifically, to pass our genes to the next generation. That is why we are here.
    No, you're explaining HOW we are here. Science answers how, not why. The why question will always have an answer that includes opinion. Science is a factual approach, not opinioned
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    No, you're explaining HOW we are here. Science answers how, not why. The why question will always have an answer that includes opinion. Science is a factual approach, not opinioned
    I disagree (partially). Yes, that is how I got here. However, that is well in the past, and frankly, has nothing much to do with me. My parents passed their genes along to me.

    And, now, I am here, and they are not.

    The question I ask now (in the present) is why am I here? What is my purpose? All the answers I come up with — at least those that make sense — are biological: reproduce, serve as a host for millions of parasites, and eventually feed other forms of life.

    The last I looked, biology was a science.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Thanks so much for your input too.

    I think I can honestly say that I never really knew myself until y’all enlightened me with your amazing insights.
    It's pretty neat how you started a thread to troll religious folk, don't get the reaction you hoped for, and then lash out at posters for sniffing your BS from a mile away.

    Well done, chap.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It's pretty neat how you started a thread to troll religious folk, don't get the reaction you hoped for, and then lash out at posters for sniffing your BS from a mile away.

    Well done, chap.
    Maybe if you read the rest of the posts in this thread (which I know is a challenge for you), you see that there is some intelligent discussion going on — well beyond your understanding, I’m sure.

    Maybe you should stick with your brilliant posts in the politics section..

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42,385
    For better or worse (mainly worse), I've already read through it.

    With enough hard work, maybe one day I can be on your level of intellectual discourse, Crovash. Not everyone can just make up new definitions for a word and then proceed to flip out on those who dare to point out their idiocy.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I disagree (partially). Yes, that is how I got here. However, that is well in the past, and frankly, has nothing much to do with me. My parents passed their genes along to me.

    And, now, I am here, and they are not.

    The question I ask now (in the present) is why am I here? What is my purpose? All the answers I come up with — at least those that make sense — are biological: reproduce, serve as a host for millions of parasites, and eventually feed other forms of life.

    The last I looked, biology was a science.
    Ok, why is it that scientifically we are here to reproduce any more than we are here to keep carbon atoms in particular chains? Chemistry is a science too

    I think you're taking science, which answers how, and then interjecting your opinion in order to make it answer why, but at the end of the day that is not a scientific answer, it is an opinion. Science, in theory, doesn't have varying opinions. It is simply facts. If we start adding purpose to those facts we are now stepping out of the realm of science
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I think both science and religion attempt in their very distinct ways to address the question: “What is the meaning of an individual’s life on earth?” Not how did I get here (though they both deal with that as well) but more why am I here?
    For the most part, Science tries to answer the what, when, who, where. how, and in some cases, why. But often the "why"
    Is a matter of opinion or subjective interpretation. That's where religion and philosophy take over.

    "What is the meaning of an individual's life here on Earth?" is a matter if opinion, subject to individual interpretation. That's a question for philosophy and religion, not science.

    Not at all.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 07-06-2019 at 05:43 AM.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,103
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Ok, why is it that scientifically we are here to reproduce any more than we are here to keep carbon atoms in particular chains? Chemistry is a science too

    I think you're taking science, which answers how, and then interjecting your opinion in order to make it answer why, but at the end of the day that is not a scientific answer, it is an opinion. Science, in theory, doesn't have varying opinions. It is simply facts. If we start adding purpose to those facts we are now stepping out of the realm of science
    Correct. The scientific method may start with an opinion -- a hypothesis-- about how to explain a natural phenomenon, how something works, or make a prediction of something that will happen. But ultimately the idea is to remove opinion by performing experiments to demonstrate what avtually is, sans opinion.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Ok, why is it that scientifically we are here to reproduce any more than we are here to keep carbon atoms in particular chains? Chemistry is a science too

    I think you're taking science, which answers how, and then interjecting your opinion in order to make it answer why, but at the end of the day that is not a scientific answer, it is an opinion. Science, in theory, doesn't have varying opinions. It is simply facts. If we start adding purpose to those facts we are now stepping out of the realm of science
    Maybe I am looking for a different word than science (or the scientific method).

    So, going back to my original post, I am seeking to understand that which I put my “faith” in (I admit, much of this is in response to a certain family member who keeps telling me to put my faith in Jesus, no matter what).

    I posited that the ultimate object of my faith — that which I worship if you will — would constitute my god (and here I am not redefining god — this definition is in the dictionary). I can see no valid argument against this.

    I came up with science, but I guess that is technically incorrect.

    Maybe Nature. (I do celebrate the solstice).

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It's pretty neat how you started a thread to troll religious folk, don't get the reaction you hoped for, and then lash out at posters for sniffing your BS from a mile away.

    Well done, chap.

    With enough hard work, maybe one day I can be on your level of intellectual discourse, Crovash.

    Not everyone can just make up new definitions for a word and then proceed to flip out on those who dare to point out their idiocy.
    What is there to say except thanks again for your astute observations.
    Last edited by Crovash; 07-06-2019 at 11:55 AM.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    42,385
    No problem. Thanks again for the laughs.

    "there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    No problem. Thanks again for the laughs.
    Any time.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    27,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Maybe I am looking for a different word than science (or the scientific method).

    So, going back to my original post, I am seeking to understand that which I put my “faith” in (I admit, much of this is in response to a certain family member who keeps telling me to put my faith in Jesus, no matter what).

    I posited that the ultimate object of my faith — that which I worship if you will — would constitute my god (and here I am not redefining god — this definition is in the dictionary). I can see no valid argument against this.

    I came up with science, but I guess that is technically incorrect.

    Maybe Nature. (I do celebrate the solstice).
    How is science or scientific method an object of faith?

    Lets take your plane example. A plane is going down. You feel in that moment someone will posit a hypothesis, test that hypothesis, verify that hypothesis via peer review, and then execute it to save your life?

    How is nature an object of faith? We are all bound by natural law. Where would any faith come in?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    5,037
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    How is science or scientific method an object of faith?

    Lets take your plane example. A plane is going down. You feel in that moment someone will posit a hypothesis, test that hypothesis, verify that hypothesis via peer review, and then execute it to save your life?

    How is nature an object of faith? We are all bound by natural law. Where would any faith come in?
    As I have noted several times in this thread, maybe science is not the correct designation for what I am suggesting.

    As for how science can be an object of faith, I admit, I don’t really know. But then what does faith even mean? I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow. Someone else has faith in Jesus. Someone else has faith in the American Dream.

    In fact, even though I am using the word faith, maybe in the end it is simply a way to justify a belief we can’t (yet) prove. A way of comforting ourselves in the face of a capricious existence signifying nothing. In short, faith is nothing more than grasping at straws, to each his own (and I never implied, much less said, that my straw — the object of my faith — was somehow better than someone else’s, though apparently I am guilty of such).
    Last edited by Crovash; 07-07-2019 at 01:50 PM.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    44,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I disagree (partially). Yes, that is how I got here. However, that is well in the past, and frankly, has nothing much to do with me. My parents passed their genes along to me.

    And, now, I am here, and they are not.

    The question I ask now (in the present) is why am I here? What is my purpose? All the answers I come up with — at least those that make sense — are biological: reproduce, serve as a host for millions of parasites, and eventually feed other forms of life.

    The last I looked, biology was a science.
    "What is your purpose?" is a subjective question not addressable by science. Nasty is correct: You are confusing the How and Why questions. Science handles "How?" Religion and philosophy grapple with the subjective "Why?"

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •