Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Polytheism

Polytheism

I have come to the conclusion that I am not an atheist per se.

Rather, I am a monotheist who is living in a polytheistic culture.

My reasoning:

Premise #1 — “god” is just a word to signify the object of one’s ultimate faith.
    Premise #2 — there are many “gods” currently in western culture because various people put their ultimate faith in different objects, among them money, drugs, an assortment of religious beliefs, sex, country...
    Conclusion — I put my ultimate faith in science (when the plane is going down, I pray that someone will figure out how to keep it up, or land it safely, as according to the laws of physics)

I believe in a many faced God

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I believe in a many faced God
    Even when said god is ****faced?

Sure you even know what a monotheist is? Science isn't a god last I checked and monotheists believe in the existence of one god that is all powerful and created the world.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Sure you even know what a monotheist is? Science isn't a god last I checked and monotheists believe in the existence of one god that is all powerful and created the world.
    I admit that my definitions are somewhat outside the mainstream, which is why I used the small “g” god to distinguish from the capital “G” God that so many claim to value and worship.

At least I can give some tangible evident that my god (“a thing of supreme value” — as per Merriam-Webster’s definition) exists. The so-called “one god that is all powerful and created the world” seems to me at best a mere phantom, of which I have found no substantive evidence of his/her/its existence.

Then you are not a monotheist and this thread is nonsense (and shouldn't be in the religion forum).

Great job!

Then you are not a monotheist and this thread is nonsense (and shouldn't be in the religion forum).

Great job!
    LOL. So, you choose to waste your time responding (not once, but twice) to a nonsensical thread?

But I suppose believers in “one god that is all powerful and created the world” are used to wasting their time on utter nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    LOL. So, you choose to waste your time responding (not once, but twice) to a nonsensical thread?

But I suppose believers in “one god that is all powerful and created the world” are used to wasting their time on utter nonsense.
    You're trying SO hard to offend and/or show your "superiority" to religious people and not really getting anywhere (other then making yourself look sour and petty). It is almost as adorable as how scarred you are from the last MLB game you attended.

I'm in this thread to have a laugh at your expense and it is absolutely working. Thank you.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not an atheist per se.

Rather, I am a monotheist who is living in a polytheistic culture.

My reasoning:

Premise #1 — “god” is just a word to signify the object of one’s ultimate faith.
    Premise #2 — there are many “gods” currently in western culture because various people put their ultimate faith in different objects, among them money, drugs, an assortment of religious beliefs, sex, country...
    Conclusion — I put my ultimate faith in science (when the plane is going down, I pray that someone will figure out how to keep it up, or land it safely, as according to the laws of physics)
    I see what you're saying but I don't think the word "- theism" applies
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

You're trying SO hard to offend and/or show your "superiority" to religious people and not really getting anywhere (other then making yourself look sour and petty). It is almost as adorable as how scarred you are from the last MLB game you attended.

I'm in this thread to have a laugh at your expense and it is absolutely working. Thank you.
    I am so glad I could entertain you because apparently your life otherwise must be pretty dreary, clinging to your outmoded beliefs and doing your juvenile laughable armchair psychology. But, hey, whatever floats your boat...

I pity you.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I see what you're saying but I don't think the word "- theism" applies
    I admit I am using a rather broad definition of “theism”, but when I examine what it is that people put their faith or trust in when the chips are down, I believe that my position is worthy of intelligent discussion. Relying on some engineered deity to address real problems seems to me a cop out. Sorry if that offends.

I am so glad I could entertain you because apparently your life otherwise must be pretty dreary, clinging to your outmoded beliefs and doing your juvenile laughable armchair psychology. But, hey, whatever floats your boat...

I pity you.
    You are such a predictable, sad sack clown. Keep projecting off your own miserable existence.

I admit I am using a rather broad definition of “theism”, but when I examine what it is that people put their faith or trust in when the chips are down, I believe that my position is worthy of intelligent discussion. Relying on some engineered deity to address real problems seems to me a cop out. Sorry if that offends.
    No one is offended (though it is obvious that is your sole intent). Just laughing at your dumb made up definition of a word you seem to not understand. Intelligent discussion my ***.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff TONE) View Post
    No one is offended (though it is obvious that is your sole intent).
    Thank you for your insight.

Just laughing at your dumb made up definition of a word you seem to not understand.
    I’m sorry. I’ll try to do better.

Intelligent discussion my ***.
    And, by all means, have a nice day.
    Last edited by Crovash; 06-30-2019 at 12:50 PM.

That doesn't offend, you just seem to be misdefining things, we definitely do not live in a polytheistic culture.

Theism and belief in God is predicated on the concept that this is indeed a separate entity of sorts, usually beyond natural limitation or limitation of the human mind, to which we are grateful for purposefully allowing existence. Your entire concept is within the natural realm and so really doesn't address the idea of theism.
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast