Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 87.50%
  • No

1 12.50%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Should MLB extend the netting?

With recent injuries to fans in foul territory, should MLB teams extend the netting even further, and possibly to the foul poles?

The two-year old who was hit by a foul ball in Houston last month suffered a skull fracture, bleeding, brain contusions, and brain edema. In the weeks following the incident she's been experiencing seizures and abnormal EEG readings.

A woman was hit in the head by a foul ball in LA this past weekend.

Last year a 79-year old woman was killed due to a foul ball hitting her in the head. She suffered a brain hemorrhage.

In September of 2017, a two-year old girl was struck by a foul ball in the head and suffered skull fractures and bleeding on the brain.

The Dodgers, Rangers, Nationals, and White Sox are all extending the netting and the Astros are looking into it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/child-hit-b...191849416.html

Yes they should. I was totally against it last year or whenever it first came up, but now I'm all for it.

All the way to the foul poles seems ridiculous, but I'd say at least beyond the end of the dugouts, to around where the ball boy sits.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Yes they should. I was totally against it last year or whenever it first came up, but now I'm all for it.

All the way to the foul poles seems ridiculous, but I'd say at least beyond the end of the dugouts, to around where the ball boy sits.
    Is that not where they are now? At least at Oracle that's where it about comes to. Not sure if it's like that everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Is that not where they are now? At least at Oracle that's where it about comes to. Not sure if it's like that everywhere.
    I thought it was currently to the front of the dugout. I may be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I thought it was currently to the front of the dugout. I may be wrong though.
    It seems like every stadium has netting that extends to the far side of the dugout or little further, but some teams chose to extend it farther down the line.

Nope, people just need to get off their stupid cell phones and actually pay attention to the game. Better yet, bring a glove.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Nope, people just need to get off their stupid cell phones and actually pay attention to the game. Better yet, bring a glove.
    You're right. That two-year old was too busy Instagraming duck faces. We should all expect children and adults to react within a second to catch a 100mph line drive they're not trained to catch.

A woman died and a child is having seizures because of a line drive, but you want your foul ball.

Seriously dave, safety should be the utmost importance. This is pathetic reasoning.

Aw. Old man can't see through a net.

You're right. That two-year old was too busy Instagraming duck faces. We should all expect children and adults to react within a second to catch a 100mph line drive.
    This sport has been around for 140 years. It wasn't an issue for such a long time. All of a sudden in 2018 and 2019 it has spontaneously become an issue. It makes no sense. Maybe it's about the media placing accidents under a microscope where it wasn't before.

Attend AT YOUR OWN RISK. That's what it says on the back of the ticket stubs. A two-year old has no business being at a ballpark. They don't understand the game, so they shouldn't even be there. It's about personal responsibility.

Bring a glove. Especially with kids around. It's about irresponsible people not paying attention to the game. And they spoil it for everyone who aspire at having a chance at catching a ball.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

This sport has been around for 140 years. It wasn't an issue for such a long time. All of a sudden in 2018 and 2019 it has spontaneously become an issue. It makes no sense. Maybe it's about the media placing accidents under a microscope where it wasn't before.

Attend AT YOUR OWN RISK. That's what it says on the back of the ticket stubs. A two-year old has no business being at a ballpark. They don't understand the game, so they shouldn't even be there. It's about personal responsibility.

Bring a glove. Especially with kids around. It's about irresponsible people not paying attention to the game. And they spoil it for everyone who aspire at having a chance at catching a ball.
    Players weren't as strong as they were 140 years ago. The ball comes off the bat much faster and people have less time to react.

Who cares if they do or do not understand the game? They can still be entertained. That's the purpose of going to the game. What about parents or grandparents teaching their children/grandchildren about the game? That's tradition in some families and a fun aspect of baseball that's been passed down for years. Anyone should be able to attend if they want. Age should have no bearing. Some adults don't even understand either. Does that mean they're not allowed in either? Should there be a test of baseball knowledge to gain admittance?

This is not about responsibility. Balls are coming off the bat at 100mph+ and people have to react in seconds. Professional baseball players don't even get it right sometimes, yet you want an untrained spectator to catch a screaming line drive with barely any room to move.

You can still catch a ball with the net. Pop ups that go into the stands, players throwing balls into the stands, catching a home run ball. I've caught a foul ball in the upper deck last year.

Safety is more important than a $20 baseball.

Lol does catching a foul ball really mean that much to you? I've never caught one and couldn't care less. It's a baseball.

Only time I'd care is if I caught some milestone HR ball or something. Otherwise, if I ever got one I'd give it to a kid sitting near me.

Players weren't as strong as they were 140 years ago. The ball comes off the bat much faster and people have less time to react.

Who cares if they do or do not understand the game? They can still be entertained. That's the purpose of going to the game. What about parents or grandparents teaching their children/grandchildren about the game? That's tradition in some families and a fun aspect of baseball that's been passed down for years. Anyone should be able to attend if they want. Age should have no bearing. Some adults don't even understand either. Does that mean they're not allowed in either? Should there be a test of baseball knowledge to gain admittance?

This is not about responsibility. Balls are coming off the bat at 100mph+ and people have to react in seconds. Professional baseball players don't even get it right sometimes, yet you want an untrained spectator to catch a screaming line drive with barely any room to move.

You can still catch a ball with the net. Pop ups that go into the stands, players throwing balls into the stands, catching a home run ball. I've caught a foul ball in the upper deck last year.

Safety is more important than a $20 baseball.
    It is about responsibility. Why do you think the back of ticket stubs says to "attend at your own risk." When you buy the tickets, you're accepting responsibility for any accidents that occur.

Future Hall of Shamers:

Future Hall of Shamers:

It is about responsibility. Why do you think the back of ticket stubs says to "attend at your own risk." When you buy the tickets, you're accepting responsibility for any accidents that occur.
    And that should be changed. We learn from the past and take preventative measures to ensure certain things won't happen again. A spectator shouldn't have to worry about skull fractures while watching a baseball game.

The Dodgers, White Sox, Rangers, and Nats are doing the right thing; thinking about the safety of their fans rather than lowering the chances of catching a baseball.

How do you expect an untrained spectator to catch a line drive coming at them at 100mph?

Again, you can still catch a foul ball with the netting. It does not eliminate your chance at catching one.

Not to be callous nor suggest it isn't necessary, but wherever you go these days more and more people are paying less and less attention to what's going on around them....are the incidents increasing because people involved or caring for people getting hit aren't paying enough attention? Watching a live game thru a net can devalue my view some, but if it's needed, it's needed. These guys are hitting it harder and harder all the time.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast