no to Dan C

give me an offensive guy or the rams dc

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    no to Dan C

give me an offensive guy or the rams dc
    Dan is an offensive guy
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Well that sums up it lol. I can't even be angry anymore because LK did it for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    If he is the front runner then he better have the best Coordinators ready since he is not an X and O guy. LK said it for all of us. They get the GM hire right and then **** the bed with this. Another thing yeah lets hire a Head Coach that was on the team when we went 0-16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Dang guys.... I personally think why not give the guy a shot. He’s fairly on the younger side and can grow with Holmes. I think If we pair Bevell as his OC then maybe things aren’t so bad?
    When was the last time the lions had a good X/O guy though? Like...have we ever had a good X/O guy?? It seems to me the best coaches in the NFL are X/O guys and NOT the "let's run the ball and have good defense" guys. I'm so sick of that moniker. Like of course you have to be able to run the ball. All the good teams can run the ball in some form or fashion (or use the short pass game in place of the run game). But the traditional hold the ball, run it and tire the other team out just doesn't ****en work unless you have a godly O-line and/or an exceptional running back. Neither of which seems like the best way to build a team.

I'm okay without a great X/O guy if we have amazing coordinators. But Bevell isn't an amazing coordinator...so keeping him and getting campbell to me is a mistake.

I would LOVE to be wrong about this.

edit: Also the more I read about it (and nothing hugely against dan campbell), but it feels like dan campbell is a rod wood selection. NOT a Brad Holmes pick. Simply because Campbell is the "favorite" and Holmes just got hired yesterday.
    Last edited by lizardking13; 01-15-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    Dan is an offensive guy
    no to Dan C

give me an non 1950's Army Football mind

Wasn't Patricia supposed to be the X's and O's guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Dang guys.... I personally think why not give the guy a shot. He’s fairly on the younger side and can grow with Holmes. I think If we pair Bevell as his OC then maybe things aren’t so bad?
    To be far it could just be coach speak because every coach parrots the football cliché's of running the ball. I hate run first offense in a day and age where you have to pass to win. Coming in with that philosophy already sours me on any coach regardless of who they are. Some teams buck the trend, but even a team like Tennessee, seems to plateau at 9-7/10-6. They got on a hot run but I don't think they will ever be a title contender.

Speaking of plateauing at 9-7/10-6 given what we know and the coaches they've interviewed it seems like the Lions are just trying to hire Caldwell 2.0. Do just enough to make the playoffs, maybe, but that's it. That's their ceiling. I hate that idea because in 5 years we are probably looking at yet another coach/GM combo. Of course anything can change and their are a lot of variables that will impact the team, so this rant might age poorly, but this is where I stand. I don't want the safe, capped ceiling coach, draft pick, free agent etc. This franchise blows, we need to swing for the fences. The GM search did that, the coaching search seems like safe, predictable ********.

he's the guy who had Tom Brady throw for 500 yards and still lose to a backup QB in the SB

yeah, he was supposed to be, but he wasn't. I'm asking when was the last time we had someone that was actually half decent at the X/O.

Of course, some good X/O guys don't succeed as coaches...but we just haven't ever had that guy here.

To be far it could just be coach speak because every coach parrots the football cliché's of running the ball. I hate run first offense in a day and age where you have to pass to win. Coming in with that philosophy already sours me on any coach regardless of who they are. Some teams buck the trend, but even a team like Tennessee, seems to plateau at 9-7/10-6. They got on a hot run but I don't think they will ever be a title contender.

Speaking of plateauing at 9-7/10-6 given what we know and the coaches they've interviewed it seems like the Lions are just trying to hire Caldwell 2.0. Do just enough to make the playoffs, maybe, but that's it. That's their ceiling. I hate that idea because in 5 years we are probably looking at yet another coach/GM combo. Of course anything can change and their are a lot of variables that will impact the team, so this rant might age poorly, but this is where I stand. I don't want the safe, capped ceiling coach, draft pick, free agent etc. This franchise blows, we need to swing for the fences. The GM search did that, the coaching search seems like safe, predictable ********.

This right here. If it's just coach speak then I can easily forgive it...but man if that is what we see day one? I won't be watching...I didn't watch much this year. Mostly only when the lions were on RedZone (not often).

I don't think its run first...but rather able to run when you need to. Look at the playoff teams most of them have a solid running game. Top 6 out of the 10 rushing leaders this year were in the playoffs: 1. Ravens, 2. Titans, 3. Browns, 6. Saints, 8. Packers, 10. Rams. While the Steelers, Buccaneers, Washing Footall Team, and the Bears were the only teams in that were in the bottom 10 in rushing. Other teams in the bottom 10, Jets, Bengals, Lions, Falcons, Jaguars, Texans.

And lets remember Washington had a losing record their entire division was so bad this year just riddled with injuries on the offense and defense that they would not have made it in any other division.
    Last edited by garnotm; 01-15-2021 at 05:42 PM.

I will take Williams that guy's defense produces pretty good even when it is **** like this year in New York they traded away all his playmakers and he still did ok with what he had...Gase can just take a break though, I would just rather they bring back Bevel as OC his offense was more big play attack when he was running the team than when Patricia was or at least it seemed to be.

I will take Williams that guy's defense produces pretty good even when it is **** like this year in New York they traded away all his playmakers and he still did ok with what he had...Gase can just take a break though, I would just rather they bring back Bevel as OC his offense was more big play attack when he was running the team than when Patricia was or at least it seemed to be.
    Yeaaaaa, wasn't Williams the guy who called the all out blitz on the last play? haha

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    yeah, he was supposed to be, but he wasn't. I'm asking when was the last time we had someone that was actually half decent at the X/O.

Of course, some good X/O guys don't succeed as coaches...but we just haven't ever had that guy here.
    That's my point these pundents label these guys as x's and o's guys or not and they have no idea what these guys do. Caldwell was X's and O's, Patricia was X's and O's...but they still didn't win and we didn't look prepared in many of our games. Screw X's and O's give me W's.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Yeaaaaa, wasn't Williams the guy who called the all out blitz on the last play? haha
    yup went out swinging instead of rushing three and dropping back 8 and watching them make a chatch in the endzone...

when you blitz you either win big or lose big.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast