Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    great in the booth, though

always makes me wonder if we're getting the best candidate or the best talker

Louis Riddick is great in the booth, but does that translate
    who?

Good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Baumgardner

Two weeks into his first shot as an NFL head coach, Dan Campbell stood inside a winning Miami Dolphins locker room wearing a look of exhausted pride. He spoke with gratitude and enthusiasm. But, ultimately, he spoke like someone who’d been there before.

“To watch the way you guys played and practiced all week,” he began, almost wincing in emphasis as he finished his thought, “it’s inspiring.

“I would do anything for you guys.”

In 2015, off to a horrible start and in desperate need of change, Miami fired Joe Philbin and made Campbell its interim coach. He was just five years removed from a playing career that ended with an 0-16 team and a Super Bowl victory in back-to-back seasons.

With Miami, Campbell was asked to reintroduce the concept of a team to a group of individuals who had gotten lost. Nobody asked him to unveil a revolutionary scheme or reinvent the wheel during what would become a 12-game stint. Help the team heal itself.

In many ways, despite never having been a head coach, Campbell had been there before.

He’s been here before, too.

On Wednesday, the Detroit Lions officially named Campbell as their new head coach, reportedly on a six-year deal. He had spent the last five seasons as Sean Payton’s assistant head coach in New Orleans, where he coached the tight ends.

“With more than 20 years of experience as both a coach and player in the National Football League, Dan knows the rigors of professional football and what it takes to be successful,” Lions principal team owner Sheila Ford Hamp said in a statement. “He will help promote the culture we want to establish across our organization, while also bringing with him high energy, a respect for the game and an identity with which everyone can align themselves.”

The day before, the Lions formally introduced Campbell’s boss. New general manager Brad Holmes is a 41-year-old college scouting expert who once skipped school as a kid so he could watch the NFL Draft on television. Asked for his preference in a head coach, Holmes was clear about priority No. 1.

“He’s got to be a leader of men,” Holmes said. “He’s got to have presence. And within that presence, he’s got to have poise.”

It’s notable that Holmes said all these words with full knowledge that Campbell, 44, would be introduced later in the week. It’s also notable that Campbell’s reputation as a team-first football coach trumped everything in this process.

The Lions want a football family. Not a group of people training inside the same building until their contracts run out. Not a coordinator’s quest to prove his preferred philosophical approach is better than anything you’ve ever seen. But a football culture centered around progressive thinking and collaboration. After spending the last three years watching a pair of hurried mistakes collapse, the Lions put their focus on the collective this time. They’ve hired Holmes to build an efficient roster of young talent through the draft. And they’ve hired Campbell to lead it.

The logic is easy to follow. The Lions plucked the person in charge of perhaps the most innovative scouting department in the NFL to rebuild their roster and are trusting a noted football leader instead of a philosophical guru to guide it. If you’re routinely keeping yourself in a position to replenish departing talent with equal or greater young talent, both through the draft and via coaching development, your odds of success will increase and your overall schematic approach is free to evolve as the roster does. A fine idea.

But also one that comes with questions.

Campbell’s path to this job isn’t typical, but teams have tried similar ideas. The ultimate example, perhaps, might be Ravens coach John Harbaugh. He spent more than a decade as a college and pro special teams coordinator before the Ravens gave him a shot in 2008. It’s worked out wonderfully for all involved. An example in the opposite direction might be Rod Marinelli, a career position coach with an assistant head-coach title. He wound up 0-16 with the Lions by Year 3.

Like every hire, this all depends on the individual.

There’s no law that says you can only hire a sitting offensive/defensive coordinator for your head-coaching job. It’s just what most everybody does, because this is the NFL and teams copy each other. The Lions have done that before, too, of course. Matt Patricia was one of the trendiest coordinator candidates when the Lions hired him in 2018. His playing experience ended as an undersized guard at Division III Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. That’s a long way from playing in the Super Bowl, something Campbell’s done. Twice.

It’s also a long way from knowing what it’s like to be a player inside a professional locker room when things are pretty far south of perfect. Campbell’s been there more times than most assistants who get interviews. He’s known as a coach who gets what he asks from his players because he speaks and interacts with them from a place of shared personal experience. And in that way, he’s the opposite of Patricia.

Still, Campbell’s on-field philosophies as a CEO-type will be heavily dependent on the play-callers he hires and the staff he builds.

Detroit reportedly will get New Orleans secondary coach Aaron Glenn as its defensive coordinator. Holmes’ roster decisions on that side of the ball will be important, though, as the Lions are in severe need of a speed upgrade at all three levels and have to overhaul basically everything with regard to defending the run. Offensively? Great question. Campbell could retain Darrell Bevell, as the Lions’ offense was hardly Patricia’s biggest problem. This might make some sense, especially if Matthew Stafford’s back, as the Lions won’t be in a situation where they have to fit an offense around a quarterback.

In reality, though, Campbell could go just about anywhere with an offensive hire, even if Stafford wants out or Detroit opts to move him. The Lions have the makings of a promising young offensive line. If Holmes and Mike Disner can get Kenny Golladay signed, he, T.J. Hockenson and D’Andre Swift are a talented — and versatile — young core to build around. Swift can play in anything. So can Golladay. Hockenson might be a bit more limited, but not by much. Same goes for the core of Detroit’s offensive line. The Lions are hardly a finished product on offense, though, and all of Campbell’s hires will need to be made with skill development at top of mind.

“We’ll be aggressive through all avenues of player acquisition. But, you know, let’s be honest: I come from the college draft background and I look forward to building this team through the draft,” Holmes said this week. “If (we have a) young team, I want to make sure the head coach has a strong passion to develop players.”

For Campbell, it’ll be an interesting test after spending five years as Payton’s assistant HC. He was able to observe one of the game’s successful leaders on a daily basis. Campbell was never in the hot seat in terms of in-game decision-making, but he does have some experience to lean on in that department. In terms of football strategy, the Saints run Payton’s offense. He designed it and knows it better than anyone. If his teams are in a tough spot with the ball, he can trust himself to find a play. Campbell will be outsourcing those moments on both sides of the ball. That could mess with the team’s margin for error.

Still, Detroit’s overall locker-room health under Patricia — even at its best — never seemed to fully make it above the tolerable line. At its worst, it was a franchise-altering problem. That won’t just mess with your margins, it’ll erase them. Football’s not necessarily a fun sport. It’s hard. It’s demanding and it requires trust. Between GM and coach, coach and player, player and player. Run any scheme you want, but if the guys on the field don’t trust the people on the sideline, it’s going to be a meltdown.

This is a gamble, to be sure. A burn-the-boats gamble? No. If the Lions get a few years down the road and don’t like the way things are going, another coaching transition could be less painful. This feels like more of a controlled gamble on a coach whose reputation puts the collective ahead of everything.

A guy who’s been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Good read.
    Good read. Thanks for posting.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Good read. Thanks for posting.
    Yes that was a good read.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions Welcome to Detroit Brad Holmes and Welcome Back DCam aka The Dude. Thanks for the Memories Stafford.
    Detroit Tigers Welcome to Detroit AJ Hinch!
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

I wager that we will get good performance from our players in terms of effort, but that we will have issues with
    1. Time management
    2. challanges

those things can be difficult for experienced coaches. A rookie HC with a rookie DC (and who knows as the OC) could cause some issues. Not that I am complaining, just pointing out some of the things that will likely be issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I wager that we will get good performance from our players in terms of effort, but that we will have issues with
    1. Time management
    2. challanges

those things can be difficult for experienced coaches. A rookie HC with a rookie DC (and who knows as the OC) could cause some issues. Not that I am complaining, just pointing out some of the things that will likely be issues.
    There is going to be some bumps in the road I am sure but its 6 year deal so hopefully they can weather the storm and build something.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

So according to Boomer Esiason Stafford wants out.

Now I trust Boomer with this type of information about 0% because he just isn't one of those reliable resource guys. So that comment is not worth the paper it's printed on.

So Martin Mayhew breaks the streak...at least I think this is the case.

First ex lion GM to be hired by another team to be their gm.

Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post

Now I trust Boomer with this type of information about 0% because he just isn't one of those reliable resource guys. So that comment is not worth the paper it's printed on.

I don't care if it's Stafford's camp, or the Lions, someone needs to make the move.

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    I don't care if it's Stafford's camp, or the Lions, someone needs to make the move.
    Agreed, either come up publicly saying he’s not being traded or trade the guy.
    [img] [/img]
    ^Thanks for the memories #9^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

trade him b4 the news gets out

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Agreed, either come up publicly saying he’s not being traded or trade the guy.
    I think they want to get with him see what he wants as well, Holmes doesn't even have a staff yet to expect him to come out and be like yes we are open for business is insane. I also think its one of those things does the qb they want fall to them in the draft if they do than we trade him then.

Patriots hired Matt Patricia to assist the coaching staff in a variety of roles.
    Patricia will reportedly reunite with the Patriots as an advisor to Bill Belichick and the team's coaching staff after the former's failed stint as Detroit's head coach. His role, albeit a work in progress at this time, will likely be similar to Mike Lombardi's while in New England, lending help with both projects and personnel. Patricia previously spent 14 years serving on the Patriots' staff including six as the team's defensive coordinator.
    via rotoworld

Who could have seen this one coming?

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    via rotoworld

Who could have seen this one coming?
    Stevie Wonder

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast