Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    Mark Saxon
    ‏@markasaxon

The #STLCards did engage on Zack Wheeler, but the Mets’ ask was Tyler O’Neill or Harrison Bader and the Cards felt it wasn’t worth it for 10-11 Wheeler starts. Marcell Ozuna could walk next year.

this is all we need to know.

they say they need to upgrade their analytics department but clearly the reason the department is failing starts at the top.

everyone cross your fingers that oneill figures out how to cut down on strikeouts or that harry b can finally chop down that tree he has been working on all summer.
    If we win the division without Wheeler, than it doesn't matter. Maybe Wheeler helps us win 2 extra games the rest of the year.

Is that worth several years of O'Neill or Bader? I dunno. Neither are that special right now, but both have the time and the talent to be pretty special.

Regardless, it's hard to hear them say this year matters, and then not improve our weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    Listening to what MO said I'm guessing we had planned on going for MadBum and he became unavailable as well did Thor also. Probably the two big targets we were going for.

Wish we would have been able to pick up a starter but as MO said for wheeler the Mets wanted Oneill or Bader and I'd of said no also. I'd of gave up both of them for Thor though!
    I think it's pretty telling that Ray, Minor, Madbum, etc didn't get moved. Those were the guys they would have tagerted, and none of them were traded. Either teams didn't like the asking prices, or those teams weren't actually trying to move them. You can't blame Moz for not getting one of the guys that didn't get traded.

The guys that moved we could have used were Greinke (way too much in terms of talent and financial cost), Stroman (we should have been in on that, but it came earlier than expected), and that's if off the top of my head. Guys like Pomeranz, Sanchez etc aren't better than our current options. Shane Greene was traded, but he cost the Braves a pretty penny and I dunno how badly we needed him unless they were going to move Gant or Martinez back to the rotation to supplement the use. The equivalent would have been Arozarena and a mid level spec.

So maybe that would have been justifable if they were willing to move Gant or Martinez back to the rotation.

I dunno, not a very active deadline. Sellers didn't end up selling, most teams did buy and sell moves (Giants, Reds, Mets, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Farty Farts View Post
    im not piling on here but welcome to the club. most have lost all confidence in the man for a few years now.even though i disagree with this situation myself i think its fair for someone to give him a chance. eventually moz would make one side look right yours or the other.

if they dont win the division, then rebuild.

you can move wong in the winter, probably fowler and eat far less than you would have had to in recent years. move molina to a team that he would want to go to and eat some money, also understanding the return is going to be little. if carp still sucks this year hopefully he will retire or be talked into it.

hold onto martinez and miles at least till next july. hope they can recover some of their value by next july.winter.

roll an OF out of Oneill, Randy A if Carlson doesnt blow everyone away in camp and martinez.

keep PD and PG. you can tank for two or three years and still build around those guys. not really fair to PG after finally getting to what was thought to be a winning organization and signing a new deal but thats just reality right now.

free agency is slim. maybe you can move miller. hes not having the best nor the worst year so the return wont be great or bad, just in the middle.

explore moving gallegos. hes been great for us but has no place on a rebuild and his value has never been higher.
    If we make the playoffs, that's all moot.

And even if we don't, our roster that we currently have is fairly competitive for 2020 as of today. A lot can change in 6 months, we'll see how they look.

Wacha is starting on Monday against the Dodgers. We have a tough stretch of games coming up with the As Dodgers and Brewers. Hoping to still be optimistic about this team, but this could be one of those stretches that will sink us or keep us afloat.

I can't believe this team scratched and clawed its way to 1st place the last 3 weeks and the FO rewarded them with nothing. I'm still salty

Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Wacha is starting on Monday against the Dodgers. We have a tough stretch of games coming up with the As Dodgers and Brewers. Hoping to still be optimistic about this team, but this could be one of those stretches that will sink us or keep us afloat.
    If we just play .500, that will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    I can't believe this team scratched and clawed its way to 1st place the last 3 weeks and the FO rewarded them with nothing. I'm still salty
    I agree, honestly.

I'm pragmatic enough to know that a lot of the moves that were made weren't moves that would have made a big difference for us. But it's telling the team we don't believe in you (imo).

Shane Greene would have made sense, and trading for him would have cost us Arozarena and a mid level guy. And then we'd have him in the bullpen with Gant or Martinez to the rotation. That would have probably helped us a game or two down the stretch.

Or Stroman, but that would have probably cost us a Woodford and Fernandez, and that would have probably been a good deal for us.

But those are really the only two.

Minor and Wheeler didn't get moved, both would have made sense as well.

Bader of Wheeler is one of those baseball trades that would have made sense for both teams and been justifiable for both teams. But it would suck to lose Bader for 4.5 years and he hits for 4 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I agree, honestly.

I'm pragmatic enough to know that a lot of the moves that were made weren't moves that would have made a big difference for us. But it's telling the team we don't believe in you (imo).

Shane Greene would have made sense, and trading for him would have cost us Arozarena and a mid level guy. And then we'd have him in the bullpen with Gant or Martinez to the rotation. That would have probably helped us a game or two down the stretch.

Or Stroman, but that would have probably cost us a Woodford and Fernandez, and that would have probably been a good deal for us.

But those are really the only two.

Minor and Wheeler didn't get moved, both would have made sense as well.

Bader of Wheeler is one of those baseball trades that would have made sense for both teams and been justifiable for both teams. But it would suck to lose Bader for 4.5 years and he hits for 4 of them.

I believe Bader will hit for any four year span when he finally chops down that tree he has been hacking at all season.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617