Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 193 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    The Nationals said that they won't trade Scherzer, but let's assume they would if they fall out of the race. The Nationals are competing for a wild card, so they might not sell, but let's assume they fall back and are willing to sell. The Nationals love Scherzer and would prefer to trade Doolittle and Rendon, before they trade Scherzer, so let's assume they do so and let's also assume they don't get a 3B in the deal. Hal said the Yankees would be willing to go over the $246 Million, so let's assume he would for Scherzer and let's further assume that once over the $246 million, money is not a consideration at all. Lot's of assumptions that have to go our way.

So, then what do you trade the Nationals. Andujar fits because he is a 3B and they might take a chance on him despite his defensive issues. Frazier might fit, because they could always trade Eaton or have 4 outfielders. Then, it comes down to pitching. The Nationals would want pitching and have been willing to spend more than anyone else on Scherzer. They massively overspent on Corbin and they somewhat overspent on Strausberg who is always hurt. They will want a top pitching prospect or two from the Yankees system. So, it would be a King's ransom in resources and treasure.

Would all of those possibilities / assumptions go our way and would the Yankees trade Deivi and /or Abreu, Andujar, Frazier, etc. and assume all the money? If all that transpires by the deadline, then a deal can be done.

Or do we scratch that itch and trade for someone else who can pitch? Do we wait it out until the midnight hour or do we trade for Bauer?
    Thinking that either A) Washington paid him an additional, thus far unaccounted for amount to agree to defer the 50% or that B) the signing bonus has been broken up, with interest, over the duration of the contract. As far as Andujar, guess now would be the time to begin seriously thinking about that transition to 1B or LF (if I'm Washington). Clint I think they would accommodate based on the age and offensive potential.

By the way, Scherzer, at 35, is 2nd in MLB in total K's. Numero Uno: Gerrit Cole.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 06-20-2019 at 07:03 AM.
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you

your 2019 New York Yankees Manager, Bench Coach, Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Manager.

According to Spotrac Scherzer signed a 7 year / $210,000,000 contract with the Washington Nationals, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $210,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $30,000,000. In 2019, Scherzer will earn a base salary of $30,262,705 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $37,405,562.

FOXSports.com reported that half of Scherzer's seven-year deal with the Nationals will be deferred; he'll receive $15 million per year for 14 years. That means he'll be on the Nats' books through 2028.

The massive deferrals in Scherzer’s contract reduce the amount he will be paid in the near term, potentially increasing his appeal to both big spenders and small. Scherzer is owed the second $7.5 million portion of a $15 million payout for this season, plus $15 million in both 2020 and ‘21. He will receive additional $15 million payments, deferred without interest, from ‘22 to ‘28.

The unique structure of Scherzer’s contract would not help clubs trying to stay under the luxury-tax threshold – his annual charge, based on the average salary in his seven-year, $210 million contract with the Nationals, is $30 million. The Nats, however, could lower that number by including cash in a trade, reducing the financial burden for a prospective suitor in exchange for a better return.

https://theathletic.com/1030084/2019...-max-scherzer/
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Any deal for Scherzer is going to be very very complicated and have a lot of moving parts. Also from any perspective he's extremely valuable to any contending team that needs pitching. Why would they want to have to take back compromised players in return like Andujar and Ftazier when their are other teams that could offer more complete players that fit their needs.
    They don't sound like they are trading him at least not anytime soon. If they make him available I don't think it would be hard to find a better package for him than Frazier, Andujar plus. I'm not sure I believe Hal is really willing to take on that much money.

The one thing that I absolutely know is that the Yanks can't afford to put there eggs all I the Max basket and wait till July 31 to get a starting pitcher.

If they can somehow pull it off that would be great.Max is exactly the kind of pitcher we need to put us over the top. I just think there are a lot of questions and obstacles to navigate before it's even a possibility.

I think were going to need 2 starters and if we could get one sooner than later we'd be better off

Dayners, I agree. I have serious doubt Hal would take on that much dough. Big nut which continues until 2028! I also agree he's the type arm Yanks need to fill the void, and could be the difference maker.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    If by some small miracle Hal makes this happen, I am coming back like the Grinch, after he absolutely decimated Whoville and then remembered that he left a pittance of a crumb behind and, not being content in his utter annihilation of the Who's hopes and dreams, proceeded to force starvation amongst the lowliest of forms of life in the Who Mice if for no other reason than that he could.

We get Scherzer, I'm coming back for that '1.'

Am I reading this correctly? Will Sauron swing gleefully from the nuts of Cashman if this deal happens? Or only Hal's and with each swing, kick Cashman in the back of the head?

**** off. Where's my title

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    According to Spotrac Scherzer signed a 7 year / $210,000,000 contract with the Washington Nationals, including a $50,000,000 signing bonus, $210,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $30,000,000. In 2019, Scherzer will earn a base salary of $30,262,705 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a total salary of $37,405,562.

FOXSports.com reported that half of Scherzer's seven-year deal with the Nationals will be deferred; he'll receive $15 million per year for 14 years. That means he'll be on the Nats' books through 2028.

The massive deferrals in Scherzer’s contract reduce the amount he will be paid in the near term, potentially increasing his appeal to both big spenders and small. Scherzer is owed the second $7.5 million portion of a $15 million payout for this season, plus $15 million in both 2020 and ‘21. He will receive additional $15 million payments, deferred without interest, from ‘22 to ‘28.

The unique structure of Scherzer’s contract would not help clubs trying to stay under the luxury-tax threshold – his annual charge, based on the average salary in his seven-year, $210 million contract with the Nationals, is $30 million. The Nats, however, could lower that number by including cash in a trade, reducing the financial burden for a prospective suitor in exchange for a better return.

Money means nothing to me with regards to Mad Max!

Just him on the mound with that bulldog approach....

He would be our Verlander!
    My top 5 Yankee playoff teams

5. 2009

Send Frazier, Florial, Garcia to the Nats for Mad Max!

Can’t worry about losing the kids anymore....we are basically set for 7 years....plus Cashman has a knack for finding the Didi’s and Voit’s of the world....hate to lose Garcia but they won’t take Chance Adams....
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 06-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.

5. 2009

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Money means nothing to me with regards to Mad Max!

Just him on the mound with that bulldog approach....

He would be our Verlander!
    Ok Nick. Easy lift, just convince Hal to spend the $15M+ until 2028, long after the playing portion of contract expires. I doubt anyone on the board would not welcome Max with open arms. Quality arm. Imo the focus should be on potentially more attainable targets ala Bauer.

I just don’t see Scherzer happening. I’m sure that if they do decide to sell they’ll do it at the very last minute. Even at that I don’t see them blowing it up. I don’t see them wanting to go in the cellar. And since they’ll want to be right back in contention next year it just doesn’t make sense to trade their best player

Ok Nick. Easy lift, just convince Hal to spend the $15M+ until 2028, long after the playing portion of contract expires. I doubt anyone on the board would not welcome Max with open arms. Quality arm. Imo the focus should be on potentially more attainable targets ala Bauer.
    Why would Cleveland pack it in when they are only 1/2 game out of the 2nd WC?

Cleveland just got Clevinger back too...They are not trading Bauer...
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 06-20-2019 at 10:27 AM.

5. 2009

If acquired at the 2/3 point of the season, Max, and his broken nose, would only hit 10 mil against the 246 (which we are currently 20m under) due to salary proration. In 2020 and 2021 he would indeed hit the full 30 against the Tier 3 cap. This is why I stated that there NEEDS to be a cash incentive by Washington and that the better/more players we give up in this exchange, the higher the financial remuneration.

This would obviously also mean shedding CC, Gardner, Troy, Bird (16 of that 30 right there) next year and Ellsbury the following. I would also strongly entertain dumping Happ and his 17m AAV against the cap, as well.

Dayners, I agree. I have serious doubt Hal would take on that much dough. Big nut which continues until 2028! I also agree he's the type arm Yanks need to fill the void, and could be the difference maker.
    As I said.....high risk/high reward.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 06-20-2019 at 11:54 AM.

your 2019 New York Yankees Manager, Bench Coach, Pitching Coach, and Bullpen Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Any deal for Scherzer is going to be very very complicated and have a lot of moving parts. Also from any perspective he's extremely valuable to any contending team that needs pitching. Why would they want to have to take back compromised players in return like Andujar and Ftazier when their are other teams that could offer more complete players that fit their needs.
    They don't sound like they are trading him at least not anytime soon. If they make him available I don't think it would be hard to find a better package for him than Frazier, Andujar plus. I'm not sure I believe Hal is really willing to take on that much money.

The one thing that I absolutely know is that the Yanks can't afford to put there eggs all I the Max basket and wait till July 31 to get a starting pitcher.

If they can somehow pull it off that would be great.Max is exactly the kind of pitcher we need to put us over the top. I just think there are a lot of questions and obstacles to navigate before it's even a possibility.

I think were going to need 2 starters and if we could get one sooner than later we'd be better off
    If it's a salary dump on Washington's part then the lift is not as difficult from Mike Rizzo's end. Packaging in enough cash to compensate for the deferral would probably represent the biggest problem. Hal's problem would be agreeing to something he has been so philosophically against and then including borderline top shelf, young, cheap talent to get it done. This is why I specifically used Andujar and Fraizer and their man without a roster spot plan. Both seemed to be wearing down their welcome, Fraizer through his antics and Andujar was already in question during the Machado 'negotiations' (or lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? Will Sauron swing gleefully from the nuts of Cashman if this deal happens? Or only Hal's and with each swing, kick Cashman in the back of the head?
    'Gleefully' might be a wee bit strong of a term and I would prefer the leg.

If Option B were open then I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Why would Cleveland pack it in when they are only 1/2 game out of the 2nd WC?

Cleveland just got Clevinger back too...They are not trading Bauer...
    True Clevinger is back. But they are 9 games back in the division and looks like Twins are running away. Cleveland barely playing .500 ball. Cleveland has a run differential of minus-five, and has never been more than five games over .500. Do they hang it all on the hope of a 2nd WC? Maybe. I imagine a lot will be decided by the break, if they are in striking distance I would agree with you, if they fall further behind I could see them retooling. Clevinger health is critical, if they can hang around with Boston until August, they could go into the stretch run with most of their rotation intact and become a truly terrifying opponent in a one-game playoff. But the trade rumors around Bauer are heating up again, and teams in need of bullpen help are eyeing Hand.

Lets also not forget who the owner is and what that gene pool has brought to Knick Fans, yes your fave another Dolan! Cleveland shopped Kluber and Bauer this offseason, as their salaries ($17.2 million and $13 million, respectively), while about half the going rate for a Cy Young–quality pitcher, were getting too rich for Dolan’s liking. In a March interview with Zack Meisel of The Athletic, Dolan essentially promised that the team would not make a serious attempt to re-sign Lindor, its franchise player, before he hits free agency in three years. Furthermore, Cleveland will not pursue top-end free agents, even as the market for such players hit and then fell through rock bottom in the past three years.

Dolan argued that the Indians can’t afford to keep their own top-end players, let alone sign more, because the team can’t afford to commit $30 million a year to one player and still field a competitive roster. It’s not just about keeping Lindor or Bauer, who will be a free agent after next season, or bringing in a Bryce Harper or a Manny Machado off the open market. The Indians’ lack of spending takes them out of the running for the kind of solid complementary players on whose backs successful teams are built.

https://theathletic.com/884023/2019/...indors-future/

Jordan Montgomery has shoulder inflammation, according to Aaron Boone, but otherwise the MRI was clean. He'll be shut down for two weeks.

- Adler

Awesome news for a guy trying to come back from TJS

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Page 5 of 193 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast