Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Alright we got Keuchel a 5-0 lead. Really need him to keep the Cubs line up in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

This rain delay is a killer, doubt he comes back out.

So with the deadline coming up in a few weeks I think the Braves should focus their main attention on relievers. Right now our staff likely will look like this out of the break:

Soroka
    Keuchel
    Fried
    Teheran
    Folty or a rookie

Tomlin
    Touki
    Blevins
    Minter
    Webb
    Newcomb
    Swarzak (if healthy)
    Jackson

The line up and bench are set. Both are very strong units. At first glance starting pitching looks the biggest weakness but I have my doubts that either MadBum or Stroman will be better than our top 3. Nor do I think either will be worth the price tag. Unless a stronger starting option becomes available I think strengthening the pen is the way to go.

I still donít really trust Minter. We saw last night he still isnít right. With Swarzak on the DL and Jackson/Webb unavailable we werenít able to finish it out. Newk had an off night but Minter couldnít pick him up. Heís still struggling with command. Tomlin, Touki, and Blevins I donít trust either. Touki obviously has great stuff and I think will he really good one day but relying on him during the playoff stretch might be too risky.

I feel adding a strong closer to the equation would be perfect. Hand, Yates, Vazquez, Giles, Smith, Colome, or Treinen would be great options if they become available. A reliable 9th inning guy allows Jackson to be used in a high leverage role. I want to see him used similar to how the Indians used Andrew Miller. Granted he isnít elite like Miller but Jackson has proven he can come in and put out a fire. Plus a strong bullpen is valuable come playoff time. We saw that last year against the Dodgers. Our staff is still inexperienced so a strong bullpen will be even more crucial come playoff time.

Jackson, Newcomb, Webb, Swarzak, and a new closer could be a very strong bullpen.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    So with the deadline coming up in a few weeks I think the Braves should focus their main attention on relievers. Right now our staff likely will look like this out of the break:

Soroka
    Keuchel
    Fried
    Teheran
    Folty or a rookie

Tomlin
    Touki
    Blevins
    Minter
    Webb
    Newcomb
    Swarzak (if healthy)
    Jackson

The line up and bench are set. Both are very strong units. At first glance starting pitching looks the biggest weakness but I have my doubts that either MadBum or Stroman will be better than our top 3. Nor do I think either will be worth the price tag. Unless a stronger starting option becomes available I think strengthening the pen is the way to go.

I still donít really trust Minter. We saw last night he still isnít right. With Swarzak on the DL and Jackson/Webb unavailable we werenít able to finish it out. Newk had an off night but Minter couldnít pick him up. Heís still struggling with command. Tomlin, Touki, and Blevins I donít trust either. Touki obviously has great stuff and I think will he really good one day but relying on him during the playoff stretch might be too risky.

I feel adding a strong closer to the equation would be perfect. Hand, Yates, Vazquez, Giles, Smith, Colome, or Treinen would be great options if they become available. A reliable 9th inning guy allows Jackson to be used in a high leverage role. I want to see him used similar to how the Indians used Andrew Miller. Granted he isnít elite like Miller but Jackson has proven he can come in and put out a fire. Plus a strong bullpen is valuable come playoff time. We saw that last year against the Dodgers. Our staff is still inexperienced so a strong bullpen will be even more crucial come playoff time.

Jackson, Newcomb, Webb, Swarzak, and a new closer could be a very strong bullpen.

Why not both? In a perfect scenario Folty will replace Julio in the rotation and another acquisition will slide Fried/Folty out of a rotation spot in the playoffs and make our bullpen even better.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Why not both? In a perfect scenario Folty will replace Julio in the rotation and another acquisition will slide Fried/Folty out of a rotation spot in the playoffs and make our bullpen even better.
    I think our best bet is Fried pitching closer to his first 8 starts than his last 8. I just donít see any of the starters available being much of an upgrade over what we have already. I donít think the price tag is worth it either. Soroka/Keuchel/Fried might end up being enough. If somehow Folty figures himself out then the rotation is 4 deep. IMO our best bang for our buck will come by acquiring relief pitchers.

2019 Vikings Draft :

I think our best bet is Fried pitching closer to his first 8 starts than his last 8. I just donít see any of the starters available being much of an upgrade over what we have already. I donít think the price tag is worth it either. Soroka/Keuchel/Fried might end up being enough. If somehow Folty figures himself out then the rotation is 4 deep. IMO our best bang for our buck will come by acquiring relief pitchers.

Right now I canīt disagree with you because the names being disscused (Bumgarner, Stroman, Boyd) are not good enough to what it will cost, but maybe closer to the deadline some name will pop up that will change our minds, maybe Greinke, make sense? we can use Teheran, Gausman, Oīday as trade bait to make the salary work this season? we have plenty of money to pay Greinke the next two, assuming the Dbacks eat some of the cash obviously.

Trevor Bauer is another dude that in our rotation is top 3, maybe heīs available.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Right now I canīt disagree with you because the names being disscused (Bumgarner, Stroman, Boyd) are not good enough to what it will cost, but maybe closer to the deadline some name will pop up that will change our minds, maybe Greinke, make sense? we can use Teheran, Gausman, Oīday as trade bait to make the salary work this season? we have plenty of money to pay Greinke the next two, assuming the Dbacks eat some of the cash obviously.

Trevor Bauer is another dude that in our rotation is top 3, maybe heīs available.
    Greinke or Bauer Iím definitely on board with. I really wish Greinkeís contract wasnít so bad because he would be a perfect fit. I donít think he is a likely considering the Braves refusal to add salary long term.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Morosi on MLB Network proposed this trade:

Braves get:
    MadBum
    Will Smith

Giants get:
    Pache
    Anderson
    Allard

Unless 2014 MadBum is hiding somewhere in the Bay Area then this is very hard pass.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Zach Greinke's contact should be do-able for this franchise. Greinke is due the following:

2019: $34.5 million
    2020: $35 million
    2021: $35 million

Now, a few other things to keep in mind:

Darren O'Day's contract:

2019: $9 million
    2020: free agent

Kevin Gausman's contract:

2019: $9.35 million
    2020: final year of arbitration
    2021: free agent

Julio Teheran's contract:

2019: $11.16 million
    2020: $12 million

So, let's go ahead and assume the obvious for 2020: that Darren O'Day doesn't come back and that Kevin Gausman is DFA'd. That makes total sense, as there is no way that the Braves are going to be willing to pay Gausman's arbitration salary, which would be at least equal to his salary this year ($9.35 million). Regardless of how poor player's perform, they never take a pay cut in arbitration (they typically get a raise even for poor performance).

So, taking into account O'Day's 2019 salary of $9.00 million and Gausman's 2019 salary of $9.35 million, that would be a net salary increase of $16.65 million for 2020 for Greinke. He's certainly worth that. Of course, that doesn't do anything to help pay the remainder of his 2019 salary or his 2021 salary. However, we can get creative there.

What if the Diamondbacks chipped in a little money to get rid of him? I expect any team would expect that to be the case? Let's pretend that the Diamondbacks chipped in $5 million for the remainder of 2019, $6 million for 2020 and $7 million for 2021.

I am sort of throwing out 2019, as I think the Braves should be able to float his 2019 salary for the rest of this season, particularly with $5 million from Arizona.

For 2020, you subtract the $18.35 million saved from O'Day & Gausman coming off the books and you add in the $6 million from Arizona and the Braves suddenly only have a net increase of $10.65 million for 2020 with Greinke. He's certainly worth way more than that.

For 2021, it gets dicier, as the Braves would need to pay $28 million of his $35 million salary for 2021. I can't quite make the math work for 2021 but the hope would be that the Braves would be willing to take on his salary in 2021 due to increase in revenue, the team winning, attendance, etc.

Another option to make money work overall would be trading Julio Teheran this winter. Trading Julio would get $12 million off the books for 2020 and make Greinke's salary even easier to swallow. In that case, the 2020 rotation would look like this:

Greinke
    Keuchel (let's pretend that the Braves are able to re-sign him to a decent 3 year deal)
    Soroka
    Fried
    5th starter - Kyle Wright, Wilson, Weigel, Anderson or someone else.

That's a pretty nice looking group of starters. Again, 2021 is where the math gets dicey and it involves Liberty & AA being willing to pay most his salary in 2021 and Arizona chipping in a little cash each year but if Arizona really wants to move most of his salary, then I would have to think that the Braves could make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    Zach Greinke's contact should be do-able for this franchise. Greinke is due the following:

Darren O'Day's contract:

So, let's go ahead and assume the obvious for 2020: that Darren O'Day doesn't come back and that Kevin Gausman is DFA'd. That makes total sense, as there is no way that the Braves are going to be willing to pay Gausman's arbitration salary, which would be at least equal to his salary this year ($9.35 million). Regardless of how poor player's perform, they never take a pay cut in arbitration (they typically get a raise even for poor performance).

So, taking into account O'Day's 2019 salary of $9.00 million and Gausman's 2019 salary of $9.35 million, that would be a net salary increase of $16.65 million for 2020 for Greinke. He's certainly worth that. Of course, that doesn't do anything to help pay the remainder of his 2019 salary or his 2021 salary. However, we can get creative there.

What if the Diamondbacks chipped in a little money to get rid of him? I expect any team would expect that to be the case? Let's pretend that the Diamondbacks chipped in $5 million for the remainder of 2019, $6 million for 2020 and $7 million for 2021.

I am sort of throwing out 2019, as I think the Braves should be able to float his 2019 salary for the rest of this season, particularly with $5 million from Arizona.

For 2020, you subtract the $18.35 million saved from O'Day & Gausman coming off the books and you add in the $6 million from Arizona and the Braves suddenly only have a net increase of $10.65 million for 2020 with Greinke. He's certainly worth way more than that.

For 2021, it gets dicier, as the Braves would need to pay $28 million of his $35 million salary for 2021. I can't quite make the math work for 2021 but the hope would be that the Braves would be willing to take on his salary in 2021 due to increase in revenue, the team winning, attendance, etc.

Another option to make money work overall would be trading Julio Teheran this winter. Trading Julio would get $12 million off the books for 2020 and make Greinke's salary even easier to swallow. In that case, the 2020 rotation would look like this:

Greinke
    Keuchel (let's pretend that the Braves are able to re-sign him to a decent 3 year deal)
    Soroka
    Fried

That's a pretty nice looking group of starters. Again, 2021 is where the math gets dicey and it involves Liberty & AA being willing to pay most his salary in 2021 and Arizona chipping in a little cash each year but if Arizona really wants to move most of his salary, then I would have to think that the Braves could make it work.
    Donaldson, Markakis, and McCann also come off the books after this season. The money is absolutely there if the Braves decide to trade for Greinke. Even with arb raises coming for our young guys in the next 2 seasons we should still be able to afford him fairly easily. I just donít see the Braves committing money long term. The Braves have seemed reluctant to give an FA this year anything over 2 years. Not sure they would be willing to trade for someone with a high salary for 2 more years.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Braves get:
    MadBum
    Will Smith

Giants get:
    Pache
    Anderson
    Allard

Unless 2014 MadBum is hiding somewhere in the Bay Area then this is very hard pass.

I agree that is an absurd idea for the Braves to trade 2 of their top 5 prospects for two pending free agents. Just ludicrous for him to suggest that would be what it would take to do a deal. Definite hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post

Darren O'Day's contract:

Greinke
    Soroka
    Fried

Thatīs what I had in mind, heck, I believe the Dbacks might be interested in Julio too, so, Julio Teheran - Darren Oīday - Kevin Gausman - William Contreras for Zack Greinke and 20 millions distributed equally in 2020 and 2021.

We probably donīt need any cash in 2019 to pay Greinke if we get rid of the other guys. Teheran, OīDay and Gausman are owed roughly 30MM, Greinke salary is 34.5MM so a net gain of around 5MM, hardly a sum we canīt gain this deadline. By next two years our obligations with Greinke are 25MM respectively, which is a good number for a pitcher of his production, the contract is for two years so not a longterm deal, heīs a workhorse and the vet we need. If we can somehow structure a deal similar to the one weīre talking we should be interested.

Talking about the return for the Dbacks, they arenīt really contenders but they arenīt terrible either so a guy like Teheran could help them next year, besides they save roughly 43MM of Greinkeīs contract while also getting a top prospect in Contreras. For the Braves we get the starter we need, plus we just signed Langeliers, who is close to Contreras in terms of readiness.
    Last edited by beldugo; 07-02-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Braves get:
    MadBum
    Will Smith

Giants get:
    Pache
    Anderson
    Allard

Lol, what?

Braves get:
    MadBum
    Will Smith

Giants get:
    Pache
    Anderson
    Allard

Lol thatís atrocious. And Iím a fan of getting MadBum.

New York Rangers - Atlanta Braves - New York Giants - Kobe Bryant

Braves get:
    MadBum
    Will Smith

Giants get:
    Pache
    Anderson
    Allard

Uh yeah hard pass. That phone would be broken with how hard it would be hung up. Anderson alone would net MadBum I'd think. I don't want to give up a prospect like him for a half season of MadBum. Smith is a free agent after this year too, right? So three top 100 MLB prospects for two rentals... who comes up with this stuff?

16. 07-03-2019, 08:43 AM

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast