Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    With regard to the "opener" strategy, I have just never understood it, as it just seemed like a gimmick to me.

On the money front, one other thing to keep in mind is Keuchel's salary. His salary is listed as $13 million but that is actually the pro-rated amount, since he signed in early June. His actual full-year salary would be around $21 million. So, Keuchel hitting free this winter will be sort of like freeing up $21 million in payroll. Hopefully whoever takes his spot next year won't cost quite that much or, if the Braves re-sign Keuchel, it certainly shouldn't cost $21 million per year.

I know that Keuchel and O'Day come off the books. But that is not how you manage a budget. You look at maximizing value from the money you spend. Can the $14 million we spend on Melancon be spent elsewhere and help the club more next yr? The answer is absolutely yes. We are going to spend what we are going to spend, we will have a budget. But instead of a frontline starter or star 3B or legit top 3 starter, or a younger catcher...we will have $14 mill allocated to Melancon...and whoever comes off the books doesn't change that, so we are not maximizing the value of our budget with Melancon

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    With regard to the "opener" strategy, I have just never understood it, as it just seemed like a gimmick to me.
    I see it as a pseudo starter. Someone to pitch 3/4 innings (that way you avoid the third time through the order) then pass it off to another "starter" to do the same..that way you can transition to your pen.

Basically, the entire concept is to avoid going through the 3rd time through the order. Since we have issues with our starters going even 6 innings and the fact that we have had at least 4 of our young arms in the pen for periods of time (Bryse Wilson, Touki, Kyle Wright, Fried, Newkcomb...you can throw in gausman as well)....and tack along that guys like Fried/Soroka are going to be reaching amount of innings they aren't familiar with..

It might be an option worth exploring. Since we can't quite bank on these guys to go starter type innings.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I know that Keuchel and O'Day come off the books. But that is not how you manage a budget. You look at maximizing value from the money you spend. Can the $14 million we spend on Melancon be spent elsewhere and help the club more next yr? The answer is absolutely yes. We are going to spend what we are going to spend, we will have a budget. But instead of a frontline starter or star 3B or legit top 3 starter, or a younger catcher...we will have $14 mill allocated to Melancon...and whoever comes off the books doesn't change that, so we are not maximizing the value of our budget with Melancon
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    I see it as a pseudo starter. Someone to pitch 3/4 innings (that way you avoid the third time through the order) then pass it off to another "starter" to do the same..that way you can transition to your pen.

Basically, the entire concept is to avoid going through the 3rd time through the order. Since we have issues with our starters going even 6 innings and the fact that we have had at least 4 of our young arms in the pen for periods of time (Bryse Wilson, Touki, Kyle Wright, Fried, Newkcomb...you can throw in gausman as well)....and tack along that guys like Fried/Soroka are going to be reaching amount of innings they aren't familiar with..

It might be an option worth exploring. Since we can't quite bank on these guys to go starter type innings.
    I was calling for this strategy last year in the series against the LAD, our guys didnīt have the stuff or experience to go three time through the order, but have plenty of options that could go 2-3 innings. But I donīt think thatīs an opener, is more bullpening.

An opener is what the Rays did last year when they started the game with Sergio Romo for one inning and then the starter will go 5-6 after him. The strategy is because the best hitters of a team are probably 1-4 so by the 6 inning (if everything goes well) your "starter" wouldīve seen those 4 guys 2 times instead of 3. I like the strategy and think it has itīs benefit, but what you are proposing isnīt and opener.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    If we didn't have Melancon next year, then most likely some of that money is going to the BP anyways. I am comfortable going into next year, with Melancon and Greene, opposed to just Greene. The point is, the Braves should have enough money to fill any need they want, and now have a lesser need in the BP next year. It's also for one year, it's not like we took on a Cano type contract lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    If we didn't have Melancon next year, then most likely some of that money is going to the BP anyways. I am comfortable going into next year, with Melancon and Greene, opposed to just Greene. The point is, the Braves should have enough money to fill any need they want, and now have a lesser need in the BP next year. It's also for one year, it's not like we took on a Cano type contract lol.
    Thatīs right, at least acquiring Melancon now will solve an issue in the offseason so AA can focus on something else. With Greene and Melancon on the team, our back end of the bullpen is almost set.

I think we will still have enough $, to fill holes in the off-season. I could see the Braves resigning or not resigning Josh Donaldson to a short term deal. With Pache and I Ayers coming in the near future, I don’t see the Braves signing an expensive OF Bat, the infield appears set at the moment. I do see the Braves at least talking to Mad-Bum.

Our future is still extremely bright.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    I think we will still have enough $, to fill holes in the off-season. I could see the Braves resigning or not resigning Josh Donaldson to a short term deal. With Pache and I Ayers coming in the near future, I don’t see the Braves signing an expensive OF Bat, the infield appears set at the moment. I do see the Braves at least talking to Mad-Bum.

Our future is still extremely bright.
    I would like to see them talk to Bumgarner in the offseason as a possible replacement for Keuchel. Keuchel has been okay but I view him as just a solid #3 starter, nothing more and I think Bumgarner would be a step up from him. It just all depends on how much money and how many years he wants.

What would you guys do with Julio Teheran's $12 million dollar option for 2020? Since it only requires a $1 million dollar buyout, I would be tempted to decline it and see if the team could find even a slight upgrade over Julio. Julio is okay most years but I don't really trust him to be anything more than a #4 option.

Julio is an every other year picture. He has been pretty solid this year. So I vote on decline haha. I think talking to Mad bum it's going to depend a lot on if he is offered and declined a qualifying offer

Where was Derek Fisher on the Astros Prospect list? I think that's a sneaky solid move.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post

To me the most logical starter for the Braves was Greinke, he was traded to HOU and the Dbacks ate 23MM of his contract, so the Astros are on the hook for 54MM for two years. They didn't gave up a single top 100 (I think) to get him, I believe we could've centered the deal around Bryse Wilson and have Greinke on our roster right now. Money was there, just getting rid of O'day and using the 14MM we are now paying Melancon, Greinke fit into our payroll.

Yes the prospect capital would've changed but if Wilson was the center piece it was going to be fine, imagine getting Martin, Greene and Greinke. It would've been awesome.

Grade C+

Overall to me the deadline was a B+ we addressed our biggest need while keeping our top prospects. I just hope Folty can return and be close to what he was in 2018.

Corbin Martin was ranked #78 on BA / #81 on MLB, J.B. Bukauskas was #97 on MLB pre season.

Seth Beer was their 1st round pick last year and was hitting .311/.411/.563/.973 with 25HRs and right now is #100 on MLB.

Those three are now #4, #12 and #13 for Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Corbin Martin was ranked #78 on BA / #81 on MLB, J.B. Bukauskas was #97 on MLB pre season.

Seth Beer was their 1st round pick last year and was hitting .311/.411/.563/.973 with 25HRs and right now is #100 on MLB.

Those three are now #4, #12 and #13 for Arizona.
    In the mid season update only Beer is on the top 100, he's the number 100. I stand by my position that the Braves could've trade Bryse Wilson as the center piece. Of course, the MLB top 100 is not necessarily exactly how the Dbacks rank these prospects, this is all hypothetical.

Well Martin is off the list being he had TMJ this year but he is highly regarded.

A report out of Kansas City said the Braves had a deal in place for Ian Kennedy but Royals ownership declined to pick up enough of his contract. Joey Wentz would have went to KC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon