Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

2019 Atlanta Braves trade deadline rumors

I think it's a good time for this thread, as the title says this is the go to thread for ideas, rumors and deals the Braves make this year before the deadline.

For the moment, offense is not an issue, basically our "worst" offensive player is Nick Markakis and he has a OPS near of .800, so the Braves might focus on relievers and starters (maybe?)

The need of a closer is evident, we have some good arms in the pen but not an elite closer, Jackson has hit a wall lately and he was pitching out of his mind anyway.

The rotation is good right now, we just need to wait a bit and see how Keuchel pitch a month from now, but is not out of the question that we in fact need another proven arm, Fried hasn't pitch well at all since the end of may and Teheran going to regress (probably) mightly in the coming months.

A guy like Trevor Bauer make more sense to me than going after Bumgarner, our top prospects are just too good to give up for a rental. Bauer is a lot better and under control for two more seasons, he's a true workhorse, have no problem going 110+ pitches every fifth day, was one of the best pitchers in the majors last year and certainly has the stuff and command to dominate.

The price will be high though, but instead of trading a guy like Touki, Wright etc for a rental who is overpriced (in terms of prospect) I might be willing to make the move for a controlled guy who might be an ace.
    Last edited by beldugo; 06-17-2019 at 06:01 PM.

2019 Atlanta Braves trade deadline rumors

I posted this in the game thread but it should go here now that a trade rumor thread is open;

Speaking of bad trade proposals, read what Jim Bowden prosposed the Braves offer the Pirates for Felipe Vazquez:

Atlanta Braves
    Trade Partner: Pittsburgh Pirates
    The Atlanta Braves made a big splash last week when they signed left-handed starting pitcher Dallas Keuchel in free agency, but GM Alex Anthopoulos is not done making moves. He’s been very aggressive on the trade front, talking to several GMs on a regular basis regarding every possible reliever and closer who’s available or could become available. If the Pirates continue to fall out of the race, the Braves might be a perfect match in a trade for impact closer Felipe Vázquez. Perhaps a package of southpaws Kolby Allard and Thomas Burrows could get a deal done.

Vázquez, 27, is in his prime and controllable through 2023 with the last two years of his deal being team options. He’s under a club-friendly deal that pays him $4.5 million this year, $5.75 million in 2020 and $7.75 million in 2021 with club options at $10 million for both 2022 and 2023 and the buyouts totaling $1.5 million. Vázquez has appeared in 26 games this year with a 2.22 ERA with 15 saves and a staggering 46 strikeouts in 28 1/3 innings.

In return, the Pirates would need one of the Braves’ top starting pitching prospects, and although they can’t get Ian Anderson from them, they might be able to pry away 21-year-old Allard. The lefty is currently pitching at Triple-A Gwinnett in the International League and is 5-3 with a 3.88 ERA. Allard has an 89-92 mph sneaky fastball with a filthy curveball and a solid changeup and would fit nicely in the Pirates’ young rotation. Burrows, 24, was the Mariners’ fourth-round pick back in 2016 and was acquired by Atlanta, along with Luiz Gohara, for outfielder Mallex Smith and right-handed reliever Shae Simmons. Burrows has pitched at both Double A and Triple A and has struck out 28 batters in 25 1/3 innings over 21 appearances. His lack of command is the only thing standing in his way of being a productive left-handed set-up reliever in the majors.

This deal would make the Braves heavy favorites in the NL East and give them a legitimate chance of getting back to the World Series. For the Pirates, it’s business as usual, lowering payroll and building for the future
    https://theathletic.com/1030681/2019...s-should-make/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I posted this in the game thread but it should go here now that a trade rumor thread is open;

Speaking of bad trade proposals, read what Jim Bowden prosposed the Braves offer the Pirates for Felipe Vazquez:

https://theathletic.com/1030681/2019...s-should-make/

Are you saying bad for the Braves of bad for the Pirates? I would say that one would be bad for the Pirates. I would have no problem moving Allard for a good, controllable late inning reliever. If you are saying the price would be higher than Allard, I definitely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    Are you saying bad for the Braves of bad for the Pirates? I would say that one would be bad for the Pirates. I would have no problem moving Allard for a good, controllable late inning reliever. If you are saying the price would be higher than Allard, I definitely agree.
    Is terrible for the Pirates, no way we can get him for Allard.

Yes terrible for the Pirates. Vazquez has been a dominant reliever the past 3 years and is signed pretty cheap for the next 2 years. Plus he has 2 10 million options for 2022 and 2023. So really he's controlled for another 4 years. Those 2 might be 2nd and 3rd pieces but Allard is not a center piece. Throw in Wilson or Wentz and maybe you'll catch the Pirates attention.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

This isn't a rumor but is moreso a little bit of a rant. I want to like Bill Shanks but he has a tendency to get fixated on a player to the point where it becomes annoying and illogical. He was fixated on bringing back Kimbrel for almost a year and was still pushing for it recently even though it seemed really obvious that it wasn't going to happen. Since Kimbrel signed with the Cubs, he's mostly shifted gears to pushing for the Braves to trade for Madison Bumgarner.

Bumgarner has been a phenominal pitcher in the past but is not quite the same guy since the dirt bike accident 2 years ago and he is a free agent at the end of this season.

In recent days Bill has stated that he would have no problem with the Braves shipping 2 of the following 3 for Bumgarner: Kyle Wright, Sean Newcomb, Touki Touissant. I sit here and think "is he really okay with trading both Kyle Wright & Sean Newcomb" for Bumgarner? I am sure that he is thinking Bumgarner would re-sign with the Braves but I just think that would be nuts and an overpay. Of course, it is just Bill throwing out ideas rather than anything factual.

Still, I can't imagine giving up that much for a guy who could walk in 4 to 5 months. For me, I still view Kyle Wright as a guy with multiple plus pitches who could still develop into a top-of-the-rotation guy. I think it is just taking more time than originally anticipated. With regard to Newcomb, he's actually been the Braves' best reliever and looks like he could be a dominant reliever long-term, should the Braves decide to keep him in the bullpen over the next few years.

Is there anyone here who likes the idea of trading Wright & Newcomb for Bumgarner? I am just curious to hear if others think that idea is as bad as I do or if some think it would be worth doing.

This isn't a rumor but is moreso a little bit of a rant. I want to like Bill Shanks but he has a tendency to get fixated on a player to the point where it becomes annoying and illogical. He was fixated on bringing back Kimbrel for almost a year and was still pushing for it recently even though it seemed really obvious that it wasn't going to happen. Since Kimbrel signed with the Cubs, he's mostly shifted gears to pushing for the Braves to trade for Madison Bumgarner.

Bumgarner has been a phenominal pitcher in the past but is not quite the same guy since the dirt bike accident 2 years ago and he is a free agent at the end of this season.

In recent days Bill has stated that he would have no problem with the Braves shipping 2 of the following 3 for Bumgarner: Kyle Wright, Sean Newcomb, Touki Touissant. I sit here and think "is he really okay with trading both Kyle Wright & Sean Newcomb" for Bumgarner? I am sure that he is thinking Bumgarner would re-sign with the Braves but I just think that would be nuts and an overpay. Of course, it is just Bill throwing out ideas rather than anything factual.

Still, I can't imagine giving up that much for a guy who could walk in 4 to 5 months. For me, I still view Kyle Wright as a guy with multiple plus pitches who could still develop into a top-of-the-rotation guy. I think it is just taking more time than originally anticipated. With regard to Newcomb, he's actually been the Braves' best reliever and looks like he could be a dominant reliever long-term, should the Braves decide to keep him in the bullpen over the next few years.

Is there anyone here who likes the idea of trading Wright & Newcomb for Bumgarner? I am just curious to hear if others think that idea is as bad as I do or if some think it would be worth doing.
    I agree, most of the time he´s very logical but in this case he´s out of his mind. He said he agree that Bumgarner is not the same he was but is proposing that the Braves pay like he was still an ace. Makes no sense.

Shanks is usually pretty good but I do agree he's been over the top lately.
    2019 Vikings Draft :

Bumgarner was hit with ease last night by the LAD, his ERA is now at 4.28, I'm kinda happy that he pitches poorly because it means that his trade value decrease or we won't be interested at all.

Shanks tweeted a question I thought was fun to think about. Name a realistic trade scenario where you would be willing to include Waters or Pache. Obviously somebody like Trout isn’t reality or possible. deGrom is the one guy who comes to my mind.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Shanks tweeted a question I thought was fun to think about. Name a realistic trade scenario where you would be willing to include Waters or Pache. Obviously somebody like Trout isn’t reality or possible. deGrom is the one guy who comes to my mind.

Getting DeGrom would be awesome, but I would not be very excited about dealing either of those guys within the division at all. I'd rather go for an ace outside of the division for sure. I can't really think of another pitcher that would make sense like him for one of those guys though.

What do you guys think it would take for a Stroman and Giles package? I think I would be willing to give up Wright and Contreras as the center pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    What do you guys think it would take for a Stroman and Giles package? I think I would be willing to give up Wright and Contreras as the center pieces.
    Hmm, that'd be an interesting combo to snag. Seems like a hefty price tag though. What's their years of control left? I assume Giles has quite a bit but idk about Stroman

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    Hmm, that'd be an interesting combo to snag. Seems like a hefty price tag though. What's their years of control left? I assume Giles has quite a bit but idk about Stroman
    A year and half for Stroman, then I think 2 and a half of Giles. It is hefty, but I believe the Braves can withstand, especially with drafting that catcher in the 1st rd.

FYI to anybody who isn’t in the Atlanta market like me. Tonight’s game is being featured on MLB Network

2019 Vikings Draft :