Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Say they offer Klay and Durant the max and they accept. Not only does this team have a chance to be bad, but it could be bad for a long time. Players that come back from achilles surgery rarely come back the same player. It has destroyed more careers than it hasn't. Guys like Laphonso Ellis, Rudy Gay and Chauncey Billups. When Durant does get back on the court, he'll be 32 years old.

I'm more optimistic when it comes to Klay's ACL, especially seeing what Adrian Peterson was able to do after his surgery. Klay's game never relied on speed or athleticism, so I think he can come back and be an elite spot up shooter again. His defense may decline as his lateral movement won't be the same in the first season and a half, but I think he'll eventually get back to form.

One option is to re-sign both to the max and then putting Durant on the disabled list, which would give the Warriors a disabled player's exception, which for the Warriors, would be 50% of Durant's salary. $20M would be enough to sign Boogie to one more season. Possibly even offer him less such as $15M. Curry, Green and Cousins can still vie for a playoff spot next year especially with Klay expected back after the All Star break.

But long term, how much will Durant's and Thompson's contract hurt them if neither perform to the level that they're getting paid? We see whats happening in Houston with Paul making $35M a year and making it impossible for them bring in a third player that can help them.

Tough call all around.
    I think the more I think about it- I would prefer to not take the chance on Durant. At the same time, I realize that if the warriors do not make him an offer- that looks absolutely horrible considering he hurt himself trying to come back and play for the warriors to win a ring. Its a tough business though. I dont believe in paying a guy for what he did in the past. I also believe the best ability is availability..... and even before durant ruptured his achilles he was an absolute no show for an entire round.

Say they offer Klay and Durant the max and they accept. Not only does this team have a chance to be bad, but it could be bad for a long time. Players that come back from achilles surgery rarely come back the same player. It has destroyed more careers than it hasn't. Guys like Laphonso Ellis, Rudy Gay and Chauncey Billups. When Durant does get back on the court, he'll be 32 years old.

I'm more optimistic when it comes to Klay's ACL, especially seeing what Adrian Peterson was able to do after his surgery. Klay's game never relied on speed or athleticism, so I think he can come back and be an elite spot up shooter again. His defense may decline as his lateral movement won't be the same in the first season and a half, but I think he'll eventually get back to form.

One option is to re-sign both to the max and then putting Durant on the disabled list, which would give the Warriors a disabled player's exception, which for the Warriors, would be 50% of Durant's salary. $20M would be enough to sign Boogie to one more season. Possibly even offer him less such as $15M. Curry, Green and Cousins can still vie for a playoff spot next year especially with Klay expected back after the All Star break.

But long term, how much will Durant's and Thompson's contract hurt them if neither perform to the level that they're getting paid? We see whats happening in Houston with Paul making $35M a year and making it impossible for them bring in a third player that can help them.

Tough call all around.
    The problem is there is no real alternative. The way the league is built what the Warriors need is to have the big 4 get paid, get super healthy and still be good for the next 5 years when they will take bargain deals to continue playing, and they need draft picks and free agents to work out well enough to trade for undervalued players from other teams. It's not going to be easy or smooth, but there isn't really another reasonable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The problem is there is no real alternative. The way the league is built what the Warriors need is to have the big 4 get paid, get super healthy and still be good for the next 5 years when they will take bargain deals to continue playing, and they need draft picks and free agents to work out well enough to trade for undervalued players from other teams. It's not going to be easy or smooth, but there isn't really another reasonable option.
    Those are some big "ifs", because if they don't come back to be the star players that they were, then this team will linger in mediocrity for a long time. Maybe worse. At the same time, I have faith in Kerr that he could bring up the next guy and have this team competing, but I'm not sure its Jacob Evans or Jordan Bell, if he's even still here.

I also agree with Stylez. They would have serious egg in the face if they don't at least look to attempt to re-sign those two players that sacrificed themselves for the team and we know just how emotional fans get. Business is cruel and to be successful, emotions can't get the better of them. Loyalty has limits, especially when it comes the financial ramifications.

Hypothetically, lets say Klay and Durant don't return. Klay decides to go to the Clippers to join Kawhi and Durant goes to NY. Livingston retires. That would leave the Warriors about $28M to spend in free agency. That could be one really good player or a couple of pretty good players. A guy that would fit this team is Malcolm Brogdon and he probably could be had for $15M per year. He's 6'5 and a great shooter that is also a good defender. Perhaps they could get Cousins to sign for $12M a year which wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I think Curry, Brogdon, Green and Cousins can still be a 55 win team.

Warriors got #41 pick for the 2019 draft and 2024 2nd rounder from Atlanta for $1.3m
    Last edited by GWarrior; 06-20-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Hows everyone feeling about the possible KD deal?

Im pretty sure the reason this deal is being offered is because KD basically told the warriors he wasnt interested staying. Im not sure how it would work and both sides be assured to get what they want out of the arrangement. The arrangement would be that Golden State would work with KD to get him to whatever team he wants.

1) The other team would have to have close to 40 million in salary cap to trade for KD or a huge amount of free space and some assets. They would have to have assets the warriors want.

2) The other team is almost assuredly to be somewhat gutted- and KD would find himself in not a great situation

3) If the other team knows kd wants to go there- what are they going to offer for him. Warriors cant even make a few teams compete against each other.

If he goes to NY- I want the number 3 pick and the trade exception LOL. and I dont want it delayed a yr

There's always that risk of losing KD and getting nothing in return if he opts out, but I'm sure he'll want that extra $57M that only the Warriors can offer him, so another team would have to play ball with the Warriors if they want Durant. The draft is in less than an 1 hour, so I doubt they could get anything done before or even during.

the four year offers from other team is around $160m.

warriors max offer is $220m.

the in between option is a 5 year extension of the existing contract at around $200m. instead of starting next year at $37m, he would start at $31m. he would get $40m extra(instead of $57m), he would still a 5 year contract, and it be slightly easier for other teams to absorb.

The guy I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the Warriors drafting is Dylan Windler. A SF out of Belmont. Something about him reminds me of a young Chris Mullin. Maybe because he's a lefty as well, but just the way he looks when he's playing also. But I think he's a guy you can put in the line up at times and take a lot of pressure off Curry while Klay (and Durant) are out. Teams aren't going to want to leave this guy wide open 3s.

There's always that risk of losing KD and getting nothing in return if he opts out, but I'm sure he'll want that extra $57M that only the Warriors can offer him, so another team would have to play ball with the Warriors if they want Durant. The draft is in less than an 1 hour, so I doubt they could get anything done before or even during.
    Nothing can be done- Durant would have to make a decision before the draft.... and even then it wouldnt be signed. I thought the idea would be that the trade part would be a yr out.... so its not like a team would draft or trade for a player of the warriors choice- then play him or a year with a pre arranged agreement to trade him next summer when durant heals.

I'm not feeling the Jordan Poole pick. His game reminds me of Nick Young. I like their 3 second rounders though. I'm excited to see Smailagic, Paschall and Oni. Smailagic is a similar player to Jonas Jerekbo. Paschall is another Draymond Green with better offense and worse defense. Oni could be a poor man's Andre Iguodala.

I'm not feeling the Jordan Poole pick. His game reminds me of Nick Young. I like their 3 second rounders though. I'm excited to see Smailagic, Paschall and Oni. Smailagic is a similar player to Jonas Jerekbo. Paschall is another Draymond Green with better offense and worse defense. Oni could be a poor man's Andre Iguodala.
    I REALLY don't get the Nick Young comp. They are totally different players. Poole is a really smart player. Poole did take some long rushed 3s but part of that was the system and the position he was in with the team.

Smiley is far more than Jerebko.

Oni is not on the Warriors.

I didn't see that Oni went to the Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I REALLY don't get the Nick Young comp. They are totally different players. Poole is a really smart player. Poole did take some long rushed 3s but part of that was the system and the position he was in with the team.

Smiley is far more than Jerebko.

Oni is not on the Warriors.
    One of them is playing in the D league, and one of them is playing in the 4th quarter of the NBA finals...... Not sure most would label the d league player as being far more than the NBA player

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    One of them is playing in the D league, and one of them is playing in the 4th quarter of the NBA finals...... Not sure most would label the d league player as being far more than the NBA player
    Smiley came to the SC Warriors at 17 years old and played well in a tougher league than college basketball. He has shown enough there that it looks like he can defend, handle, drive, and pass better than Jerebko early in his career, and he may eventually surpass him as a shooter. The only way the Warriors had a chance at getting him is that he wanted to come to the states as early as possible and was too young to get drafted last year. Then the Warriors hid him to the point a few other teams filed a grievance with the NBA about it.

His per minute averages were very good, I saw him play live twice and he showed flashes despite being very young (3rd youngest player in the NBA at the moment).

We need someone who can get his I'm the paint when the games slows down. I wish we had Marc Gasol.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast