Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2020 Draft and free agency

After Klay and KD situation is resolved.

Interesting free agents for the warriors:

Ellington, Wayne
    Faried, Kenneth
    Gay, Rudy
    Green, Danny
    Holiday, Justin
    Hood, Rodney
    Lopez, Brook
    Redick, JJ

I would focus on re-signing Looney. I feel he fits into how this Warriors team likes to play. They play lots of switch defense and Looney, for a big man, has lateral quickness when it comes to staying in front of guards. You put a guy like Brook Lopez out there, and he'll be a liability defensively.

After re-signing both Thompson and Durant, assuming both of them stays, the Warriors will only have the MLE to spend since they'll be way over the cap and they'll only have 7 players on the roster if Livingston calls it a career.

Financially, they're limited in what they can do, especially if they max out Klay and even more so if Durant re-signs for the max. Thats $80M for two players. One won't play at all next season and the other will hopefully be back after the All-Star break.

The draft has a LOT of interesting players for the Warriors that might be available.

I think it's a near certainty Looney stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The draft has a LOT of interesting players for the Warriors that might be available.

I think it's a near certainty Looney stays.
    Myers hasn't hit on any of his late first rounders yet, aside from Looney. And as much as I like Kevon, I wouldn't exactly call him a "hit".

a) if both are offered the max contract, we have only the taxed-MLE at around $4.7M. Most likely all with go to Looney.

b) If only Klay signs the max contract (no KD), we will be around $12M under the cap, and have the non-taxed MLE at $9.2M. where we can get a combination of Looney plus another player (Rudy Gay or Wayne Ellignton). This option will save a lot of $$ in luxury taxes.

c) Either way, I believe that we can also add another player using the bi-annual exception of $3.6M.

d) They should upgrade the second round pick to a second late first or an early second round pick by paying some $$$ or acquire an additional pick

e) besides the existing contracts (curry, raymond, iguálala, evans, and jones), they should only pick the minimum contract of our existing guys McKinnie and not to livingston, jerebko, lee, cook( i may keep him at the mini), bell.

f) keep cousins if he agrees to the $6.4M one year deal

g) fill out the roster with min contracts. Keneth Faried will be a nice replacement for Bell.

The way things worked- I think KD is most likely to re sign with the warriors. Most of the reasons people gave for him considering leaving were about his legacy and him wanting to prove he could carry a team on his own. With his injury and the history of his injury along with his age.... I think he will decide to stay with an organization that will know how to build a quality roster around him. If he isnt a top 3 or 4 player in the game when he comes back- maybe a top 15-20.... if he wants to make sure he is still playing competitive basketball the last 2 or 3 productive yrs of his career... then his best bet is to stay with the warriors. If there was ever a time when taking the safe route was understandable- it would be coming off a torn Achilles.

Heres the Irony though- I think im going to sound like a dick for saying this but.... Im personally kind of hoping he leaves the warriors. I realize it would look absolutely horrible if the warriors dont offer him a max contract, and they already basically have put out an offer..... but signing KD to a super max with all of these question marks might be a disaster of a move looking back 2-3 yrs from now.

Its one of those things that sounds like a really nice thing to do and a great story- but it could be a huge regret down the line.

On a another note- I read all these articles on how people are saying the knicks are devastated that KD got hurt. I would think theyd be thrilled it happened before they signed him and not in the 3rd game of the season (which is what likely would have happened if the warriors sat him through the playoffs)

If both KD and Klay do re sign which Im starting to think is about 60-70% likely.....

I consider the following.

Look to trade Draymond for to a team that needs him for younger talent and depth.

A team I would consider- Portland. Perhaps draymond and Jordan Bell for a re signed rodney hood, seth curry, and zach collins. This would also likely create a trade exception for 4-6 million dollars that we could use for another player.

I would then look to see if any contenders are interested in Iggy in the last yr of his contract. perhaps for a late fist round pick and a young player.... or perhaps a future first rounder in a few yrs. (which could also create a trade exception

Biggest concern I have for draymond is that he is looking for a max contract.... and im just not comfortable playing him to dollar until hes 36 yrs old. I understand overpaying him a little bit when the team is expected to be contending, but im not sure how great of a player he is going to be 2 or 3 yrs from now.
    Last edited by likemystylez; 06-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWarrior View Post
    a) if both are offered the max contract, we have only the taxed-MLE at around $4.7M. Most likely all with go to Looney.

b) If only Klay signs the max contract (no KD), we will be around $12M under the cap, and have the non-taxed MLE at $9.2M. where we can get a combination of Looney plus another player (Rudy Gay or Wayne Ellignton). This option will save a lot of $$ in luxury taxes.

c) Either way, I believe that we can also add another player using the bi-annual exception of $3.6M.

d) They should upgrade the second round pick to a second late first or an early second round pick by paying some $$$ or acquire an additional pick

e) besides the existing contracts (curry, raymond, iguálala, evans, and jones), they should only pick the minimum contract of our existing guys McKinnie and not to livingston, jerebko, lee, cook( i may keep him at the mini), bell.

f) keep cousins if he agrees to the $6.4M one year deal

g) fill out the roster with min contracts. Keneth Faried will be a nice replacement for Bell.
    a) Looney can be paid without touching the MLE.

b) The Warriors are over the cap even if just Klay signs I'm fairly sure.

d) That only works if a team high in the 2nd is willing to sell.

g) Bell is under contract, no thanks to Faried.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    The way things worked- I think KD is most likely to re sign with the warriors. Most of the reasons people gave for him considering leaving were about his legacy and him wanting to prove he could carry a team on his own. With his injury and the history of his injury along with his age.... I think he will decide to stay with an organization that will know how to build a quality roster around him. If he isnt a top 3 or 4 player in the game when he comes back- maybe a top 15-20.... if he wants to make sure he is still playing competitive basketball the last 2 or 3 productive yrs of his career... then his best bet is to stay with the warriors. If there was ever a time when taking the safe route was understandable- it would be coming off a torn Achilles.

Heres the Irony though- I think im going to sound like a dick for saying this but.... Im personally kind of hoping he leaves the warriors. I realize it would look absolutely horrible if the warriors dont offer him a max contract, and they already basically have put out an offer..... but signing KD to a super max with all of these question marks might be a disaster of a move looking back 2-3 yrs from now.

Its one of those things that sounds like a really nice thing to do and a great story- but it could be a huge regret down the line.

On a another note- I read all these articles on how people are saying the knicks are devastated that KD got hurt. I would think theyd be thrilled it happened before they signed him and not in the 3rd game of the season (which is what likely would have happened if the warriors sat him through the playoffs)
    The Warriors are not allowed to sign KD to a super max.

If he stays, fine. If he leaves fine.

The Knicks/NY press have been spreading KD to Knicks rumors for the last 2 years. They were desperate. Of course they are sad now.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    If both KD and Klay do re sign which Im starting to think is about 60-70% likely.....

I consider the following.

Look to trade Draymond for to a team that needs him for younger talent and depth.

A team I would consider- Portland. Perhaps draymond and Jordan Bell for a re signed rodney hood, seth curry, and zach collins. This would also likely create a trade exception for 4-6 million dollars that we could use for another player.

I would then look to see if any contenders are interested in Iggy in the last yr of his contract. perhaps for a late fist round pick and a young player.... or perhaps a future first rounder in a few yrs. (which could also create a trade exception

Biggest concern I have for draymond is that he is looking for a max contract.... and im just not comfortable playing him to dollar until hes 36 yrs old. I understand overpaying him a little bit when the team is expected to be contending, but im not sure how great of a player he is going to be 2 or 3 yrs from now.
    No. Draymond is the 2nd best player on the team and key to it's future.

No. Draymond is the 2nd best player on the team and key to it's future.
    true, but if draymond is our second best player- im not sure we even get to the second round. If we are not playing for a championship- it isnt worth giving draymond a max. If we keep him around he will want the max and i figure its better to trade him for young assets for the future.

The Warriors are not allowed to sign KD to a super max.

If he stays, fine. If he leaves fine.

The Knicks/NY press have been spreading KD to Knicks rumors for the last 2 years. They were desperate. Of course they are sad now.

If im the knicks Im happy I know about this before I sign him and not lock up that cap space for 4 yrs. Knicks have had so many bad contracts in the past- I cant believe they are even considering a contract to KD that could prove to be horrible a few yrs down the line

b) The Warriors are over the cap even if just Klay signs I'm fairly sure.
    Guarantee
    Steph $40.2M
    Klay $32.7M
    Dray $18.5M
    Iggy $17.1M
    Evans $2.3M
    Jones $1.9M
    $112.8

Non-Guarantee
    Mckinie $1.4M

Dead Money (partial guarantee)
    Livingston $0.6M

Total Salary $114.9M
    Total for Luxury Tax $119.4M
    Projected Apron $138M
    Luxury Tax Room $12.5M

Only signing Klay and not livingston they will have $12.5M under the tax luxury. if they do that they get a over the cap (non tax) Mid level exception of $9.2 and they also have the bi-annual exception at $3.6

g) Bell is under contract, no thanks to Faried.
    Bell is not under contract. Warriors have his bird rights (i think)
    Last edited by GWarrior; 06-18-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWarrior View Post
    Guarantee
    Steph $40.2M
    Klay $32.7M
    Dray $18.5M
    Iggy $17.1M
    Evans $2.3M
    Jones $1.9M
    $112.8

Non-Guarantee
    Mckinie $1.4M

Dead Money (partial guarantee)
    Livingston $0.6M

Total Salary $114.9M
    Total for Luxury Tax $119.4M
    Projected Apron $138M
    Luxury Tax Room $12.5M

Only signing Klay and not livingston they will have $12.5M under the tax luxury. if they do that they get a over the cap (non tax) Mid level exception of $9.2 and they also have the bi-annual exception at $3.6

Bell is not under contract. Warriors have his bird rights (i think)

Okay, so you are assuming KD doesn't take up his option and the Warriors get rid of Livingston and denounce all of their free agents including Looney to save those cap holds. That leaves you with cap holds for draft picks and incomplete roster charges which is $10M. So, with that in mind:

Curry, Green, Iguodala, Jones, Evans is $80.1M
    Klay's cap hold before he signs is $28.5M
    Livingston's dead money is $2M
    Cap holds for draft picks and incomplete roster charges $10M

That's $120.6 without McKinnie and Looney and the cap is $109M.

If they renounce Klay they get under the cap, but then Klay is gone.

Also, cap space for signing other free agents is only money under the cap, not under the luxury tax line but over the cap.

Say they offer Klay and Durant the max and they accept. Not only does this team have a chance to be bad, but it could be bad for a long time. Players that come back from achilles surgery rarely come back the same player. It has destroyed more careers than it hasn't. Guys like Laphonso Ellis, Rudy Gay and Chauncey Billups. When Durant does get back on the court, he'll be 32 years old.

I'm more optimistic when it comes to Klay's ACL, especially seeing what Adrian Peterson was able to do after his surgery. Klay's game never relied on speed or athleticism, so I think he can come back and be an elite spot up shooter again. His defense may decline as his lateral movement won't be the same in the first season and a half, but I think he'll eventually get back to form.

One option is to re-sign both to the max and then putting Durant on the disabled list, which would give the Warriors a disabled player's exception, which for the Warriors, would be 50% of Durant's salary. $20M would be enough to sign Boogie to one more season. Possibly even offer him less such as $15M. Curry, Green and Cousins can still vie for a playoff spot next year especially with Klay expected back after the All Star break.

But long term, how much will Durant's and Thompson's contract hurt them if neither perform to the level that they're getting paid? We see whats happening in Houston with Paul making $35M a year and making it impossible for them bring in a third player that can help them.

Tough call all around.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast