Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Which team would win in a 7 game series?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Murph

13 68.42%
  • Monaco Money

4 21.05%
  • GMs vote here

2 10.53%

NBA All-Time Redraft Round 1 - Team Murph vs Monaco Money

Every year members of PSD get together and have a draft of all the players throughout history. They are then ranked and seeded where a "playoff" determines the winner of the game. This is that playoff. Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 games series.

Team Murph (Homecourt advantage)

PG: Walt Frazier | Mike Bibby
    SG: Klay Thompson | Joe Johnson
    SF: Kawhi Leonard | Adrian Dantley
    PF: Rasheed Wallace | Serge Ibaka
    C: Dikembe Mutombo | Karl Anthony-Towns

vs.

Monaco Money

PG: Steve Nash | Sam Cassell
    SG: Chris Mullin | Tony Allen
    SF: Grant Hill | Lamar Odom
    PF: Shawn Kemp | Al Horford
    C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar | Joakim Noah

These keep getting better and better

Voted Murph as I feel he has the edge with defense. It's all about the pace of the game. Whoever controls that wins. If Team Murph contains the fast tempo that Monaco Money is built for, it's theirs.

I really didn't want to vote against Monaco Money here but I don't see in a series of 7 how their team can keep their performance to a maximum. It also hurts that Kareem has to face Dikembe who's a defensive juggernaut. Against anyone else and that's a significant vote sway.

Good luck to both.

Man what a match up. Its so close my immediate reaction is to lean home team. I'm gonna give it a little longer before voting here.

Murph has to attack the three ball handlers who generate his offense. Kareem, Nash, and Hill.

Dikembe is a beast and absolute game changer. He also gets a little back offensively with his Ts%. Against Kareem? It might as well be nothing. There is no defense good enough to prevent Kareem from being a significant offensive factor either. if there is, I haven't seen the numbers yet.

Kawhi of course will do just fine on Hill's subpar efficiency.

Frazier and Nash is pretty incredible match up wise. Nash's quickness will be able to get away from the bigger stronger Frazier, but Walt can certainly wear down the slight hesitant scorer that was Nash. Both guys have awesome auxiliary pieces too in Kemp / Mullin and Klay / Rasheed.

Ultimately I don't think Monaco has anyone to interfere with Murph's ball handlers. Who might be sub par distributors, but they won't have to be all that good if Nash or Mullin end up on them.

I would enjoy the hell out of watching that Nash team. Nash, Mullin, Hill and Kemp in the fast break would be nuts, and they could slow it down just as easily with Kareem.

But that team has ZERO chance of stopping Murph. None. No chance in hell.
    POOP

Monaco is getting drastically underrated here. Overall, the series is a coin flip for me, but just because I think they're getting undervalued, I'm taking them. Yeah, Murph has the edge defensively. That's obvious, but recency bias is definitely kicking in here. Nash + peak Kareem is sick offensively. And putting Mullin, Hill and Kemp around those three makes a really formidable and versatile starting five offensively.

Yeah, Murph's team is better on defense, but how are they going to keep up with Monaco offensively? Yeah, Kawhi is great, but Deke is an offensive liability and there's a definite lack of playmakers in that starting five. I love Walt, but he's a pretty so-so creator in an all-time re-draft and Kawhi and Klay are both below average playmakers at their positions. Factoring in that Klay is pretty much just a spot shooter, and you don't have a lot of guys who can create off the dribble. Versus a team that can do pretty much everything offensively. They can run Nash pick and rolls all day long with Kareem and Kemp. They can run isolation with Hill, or move the ball around to get open looks for Nash and Mullin. And can you imagine Nash, Kemp and Hill in transition?

Monaco in 7 just because they're getting killed, and they deserve better.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Monaco is getting drastically underrated here. Overall, the series is a coin flip for me, but just because I think they're getting undervalued, I'm taking them. Yeah, Murph has the edge defensively. That's obvious, but recency bias is definitely kicking in here. Nash + peak Kareem is sick offensively. And putting Mullin, Hill and Kemp around those three makes a really formidable and versatile starting five offensively.

Yeah, Murph's team is better on defense, but how are they going to keep up with Monaco offensively? Yeah, Kawhi is great, but Deke is an offensive liability and there's a definite lack of playmakers in that starting five. I love Walt, but he's a pretty so-so creator in an all-time re-draft and Kawhi and Klay are both below average playmakers at their positions. Factoring in that Klay is pretty much just a spot shooter, and you don't have a lot of guys who can create off the dribble. Versus a team that can do pretty much everything offensively. They can run Nash pick and rolls all day long with Kareem and Kemp. They can run isolation with Hill, or move the ball around to get open looks for Nash and Mullin. And can you imagine Nash, Kemp and Hill in transition?

Monaco in 7 just because they're getting killed, and they deserve better.
    I actually like Murph's offense a lot. Nice traditional point guard in Clyde. Great shooting 2-4. Kawhi can win the one-on-one battle late in games. Mutombo isn't a good offensive player, but he can dunk and get offensive rebounds at least. The defense is the star attraction, don't get me wrong, but I like the offense.
    POOP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    I actually like Murph's offense a lot. Nice traditional point guard in Clyde. Great shooting 2-4. Kawhi can win the one-on-one battle late in games. Mutombo isn't a good offensive player, but he can dunk and get offensive rebounds at least. The defense is the star attraction, don't get me wrong, but I like the offense.
    It's not bad, but in an all-time re-draft, it's definitely below average. I remember there was a year where I had Paul Pierce and Walt Frazier as my 1-2 punch offensively surrounded by solid 18-20 PPG guys, and I got killed for not having more offensive firepower. This feels the same to me. Klay is a No. 2 all the way, and Sheed was more like a third option in his peak. That's not to say Klay can't still score in bunches, but if he's not hitting shots, he's a total nonfactor (which we've historically seen with him in the postseason).

Plus, he and Kawhi just aren't playmakers for others. I like teams who have above average creators for their respective positions, and Murph's team doesn't have that. Monaco does. Gun to my head, this is a coin flip series. But I'm just surprised Monaco isn't getting more credit considering that team easily has the best player in the entire series.

For some reason, though, I always feel like teams with Kareem or Nash get underrated in this game. I'm not sure why, but I just can't remember a team with either guy that's won the whole thing.

Really surprised Murph is winning by such a wide margin, but maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough on Frazier's game to understand how much of an impact he'd have?

Also how has no one mentioned that Monaco has Odom, Horford and Noah off the bench, who at their peak were all some of the best passing big men in the league? That's huge imo.

Agreed about Kareem. Nash is such a one way player that you basically need the magical perfect combinations around him or he's almost a liability

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkapolooza View Post
    Agreed about Kareem. Nash is such a one way player that you basically need the magical perfect combinations around him or he's almost a liability
    That's not true. Time and time again data has shown that point guard defense is pretty inconsequential to overall team defense. He's nowhere close to a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    That's not true. Time and time again data has shown that point guard defense is pretty inconsequential to overall team defense. He's nowhere close to a liability.
    I think this statement should be amended slightly. I think point guard defense is mostly inconsequential on the negative end, but positive point guard defense makes an enormous defense. Like you can hide Steve Nash relatively easily. But the peak Chris Pauls, Gary Paytons, Patrick Beverleys of the world that can hound a star point guard on the other side have a lot of value.
    POOP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    Agree.

Team Murph wins

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Team Murph wins
    I am late to the part... but that's craziness. The inside-outside game of Kareem and Nash/Mullin would crush even the elite defenders of Monaco's team. Nash is one of the greatest 3pt shooters of all time at 43%, and Mullin was close to that once he started shooting 3s in the second half of his career.

Maybe people are thinking of old/bald Kareem instead of young Kareem when they say Mutombo could guard him. Kareem was utterly unstoppable on offense. There is no reason to think that any one person in the history of basketball could guard him.

If you look at his stats from from Milwaukee, his line was 30.4pts/15.3reb/4.3ast/3.4blk/1.2stl. So in addition to unstoppable offensive, his defensive numbers are superior to Mutombo.