Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok I understand opening up the money to make up for MacDonald's release/buyout....but was it necessary? Having $13 million in open space .They wouldn't miss the $1.2 million to pay for the buyout....

Niskanen is not a difference maker to me. He'll probably be slated for #1 pairing (even though I don't see him as a pairing Dman.) It only seemed to help WSH with some of their cap issue. He should've gotten more from WSH because he's PAYING Gudas to play for them.

I look at this defense....where's the toughness/grit? Hagg & Provy will hit....who else? Morin may give that blueline some toughness, if he plays.

Feels like he's making moves just to make his bosses happy.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post
    Ok I understand opening up the money to make up for MacDonald's release/buyout....but was it necessary? Having $13 million in open space .They wouldn't miss the $1.2 million to pay for the buyout....

Niskanen is not a difference maker to me. He'll probably be slated for #1 pairing (even though I don't see him as a pairing Dman.) It only seemed to help WSH with some of their cap issue. He should've gotten more from WSH because he's PAYING Gudas to play for them.

I look at this defense....where's the toughness/grit? Hagg & Provy will hit....who else? Morin may give that blueline some toughness, if he plays.

1. Theres clearly more upside in niskanen this year than gudas.

2. Any sighting of Andrew Macdonald is bad. For years this board said the gm needed to take the option away from the coach. Finally a GM does it and people are questioning it.

3. You saying they had plenty of money available is very telling to me about what fletcher has planned.

- he is going to try and spend it. Clearly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post

it should help us too. He isn't here to be our #1. He is here to be a complementary dman to provorov, sanheim, or ghost. I think he had to give to get niskanen because we are a divisional rival and the caps had the leverage because it was Fletcher really wanting gudas. Kind of bad because it shows he will pay to get what he wants and that can be bad. Im not worried at all about the toughness and grit on the back end. Morin, hagg, provorov, myers, niskanen/sanheim all can hit and bring some toughness. Myers is a tough dude. Him and morin are bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    ya i would definitely take niskanen over stralman. I wonder what other options there were for rhd for a gudas swap.
    My worry is that Vingnault just got Girardi v2.0 in Niskanen, and now Provorov is going to have to lug him around the ice for the next 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    My worry is that Vingnault just got Girardi v2.0 in Niskanen, and now Provorov is going to have to lug him around the ice for the next 2 seasons.
    Maybe. Except I think niskanen is superior to Girardi. Even if he continues the decline.

Theres also the chance that he had a bad year coming off the short summer and his terrible start deflated his season long numbers. I'm not sure.

I do know, theres zero chance gudas should ever be used for a full season in the top 4.

Theres at least a possibility niskanen bounces back this year and is still a top 4 guy.

The other question, what UFA would have been a better option once you factor in term and AAV?

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Maybe. Except I think niskanen is superior to Girardi. Even if he continues the decline.

Theres also the chance that he had a bad year coming off the short summer and his terrible start deflated his season long numbers. I'm not sure.

I do know, theres zero chance gudas should ever be used for a full season in the top 4.

Theres at least a possibility niskanen bounces back this year and is still a top 4 guy.

The other question, what UFA would have been a better option once you factor in term and AAV?
    this

myers, edler, stralman, gardiner were the options for this free agency. myers and gardiner would want a 4+ year deal. So its stralman and edler for a 2 year.
    Last edited by 3iverson3; 06-17-2019 at 12:24 AM.

it should help us too. He isn't here to be our #1. He is here to be a complementary dman to provorov, sanheim, or ghost. I think he had to give to get niskanen because we are a divisional rival and the caps had the leverage because it was Fletcher really wanting gudas. Kind of bad because it shows he will pay to get what he wants and that can be bad. Im not worried at all about the toughness and grit on the back end. Morin, hagg, provorov, myers, niskanen/sanheim all can hit and bring some toughness. Myers is a tough dude. Him and morin are bullies.
    What leverage? They were looking to dump cap and not only did Fletcher oblige, but he gave them an NHL caliber dman back and retained salary. Nobody was paying for Niskanen. People can keep rationalizing all they want, but Chucky made a bad deal plain and simple. The retaining of salary is just a double slap to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    What leverage? They were looking to dump cap and not only did Fletcher oblige, but he gave them an NHL caliber dman back and retained salary. Nobody was paying for Niskanen. People can keep rationalizing all they want, but Chucky made a bad deal plain and simple. The retaining of salary is just a double slap to the face.
    I wont agree on this deal until I see niskanen play this season.

Plan and simple.

As of now I'd prefer to have niskanen in my top 4 than Gudas.

Until that changes. I cant call it a bad deal

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    I wont agree on this deal until I see niskanen play this season.

Plan and simple.

As of now I'd prefer to have niskanen in my top 4 than Gudas.

Until that changes. I cant call it a bad deal
    same and and idgaf about retaining salary for 1 year where we won't even spend the cap all the way. We are really saying we lost a deal over a 3rd pairing dman we were never going to resign when we have a younger, taller, bigger, better version in Myers??!?

same and and idgaf about retaining salary for 1 year where we won't even spend the cap all the way. We are really saying we lost a deal over a 3rd pairing dman we were never going to resign when we have a younger, taller, bigger, better version in Myers??!?
    Gudas was the Flyers best D man last season.

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    Most consistent I'd agree with. I think Sanheim was likely the "best"

Quote Originally Posted by jc27 View Post
    so? does that mean hes going to be the best for the next 5? If he was the best, and he probably was with sanheim, then its bad news.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12