Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio....?

As we entered the digital age of instant info at our fingertips there will be inevitable casualties. Online sports forums are no exception. PSD has experienced it's share of lost viewers and posters. The Yankee forum in particular has been hit hard, we were at one juncture the busiest PSD BB forum, now we are also rans back in the middle of the pack. Is it all do to falling viewership? Or is there other forces at work?

Some of the regulars we haven't seen in quite some time: 1903, Oak, Rylincus, Pinstripe pride, Decimotox, NYfanforlife, EAGLES, Yankee Clipper, DJ, Darknight, Chapin, runnermjr, bfrap, Yankees90, Dew-Star to name a few. What happened? Yankees are more successful now (2017-19) then they have been in recent memory. Lost interest? We now count the regulars on one and a half hands.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio A nation turns its lonely eyes to you...
    Joltin' Joe has left and gone away...
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Losing regulars is inevitable. We really haven't gotten any new regulars, is the issue. So why is that? Is it the nature of forums and how we communicate and consume info? Or is it what this board has devolved into?
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Our nation isn't turning lonely eyes to you.

Doc, I think some people get bored. Some get busy.

I also believe that younger posters get new families, relationships, friends and would rather socialize that way.

I think most of the remaining regulars are pretty set in their lives. We don't have, need or want that outside drama but would rather simply come here and chat.

The other element is that maybe there isn't an influx of younger posters because the sport is losing popularity, regardless what is being sold as the great popularity of the sport.
    Perhaps the statistical element of the discussion is a factor. We are older, we like the eye test. We like the risk reward factor and care less about the in depth analytics, so there is no way to communicate with these damn kids

Or get them off my lawn

My hope is that this is just an ebb and flow.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 06-12-2019 at 08:14 AM.

**** off. Where's my title

Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Losing regulars is inevitable. We really haven't gotten any new regulars, is the issue. So why is that? Is it the nature of forums and how we communicate and consume info? Or is it what this board has devolved into?
    All very good questions LL. I wish I had simple answers....but alas I have none.

Are we not men? We are DEVO.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Our nation isn't turning lonely eyes to you.

Doc, I think some people get bored. Some get busy.

I also believe that younger posters get new families, relationships, friends and would rather socialize that way.

I think most of the remaining regulars are pretty set in their lives. We don't have, need or want that outside drama but would rather simply come here and chat.

The other element is that maybe there isn't an influx of younger posters because the sport is losing popularity, regardless what is being sold as the great popularity of the sport.
    Perhaps the statistical element of the discussion is a factor. We are older, we like the eye test. We like the risk reward factor and care less about the in depth analytics, so there is no way to communicate with these damn kids

Or get them off my lawn

My hope is that this is just an ebb and flow.
    Clown all of the above and then some. I'll get off your lawn when you return my Commodore 64 god dangit!

In the immortal words of Roger Daultry, “Hope I die before I get old.” Oh wait....I'm already there. Oh the irony.
    Last edited by drt1010; 06-12-2019 at 09:14 AM.

I blame Twitter. Forums, sadly, seem to be dying.

Don't worry though, I'm not going anywhere and that's all that matters.

Well, since the can is open, I think all of those outside factors are relevant, but I think the primary reason is the board. There is more banter, bashing, and hardcore unfun negativity then there is good dialogue.

I would be more active if there was more good debate and discussion, and every hang nail didn't turn into a "so and so is dead and will never walk with earth let alone play baseball again thread."

When you can predict what each poster is going to say, its often not worth engaging.

My 2 cents.
    Time to double down on the 'Spects!

Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Well, since the can is open, I think all of those outside factors are relevant, but I think the primary reason is the board. There is more banter, bashing, and hardcore unfun negativity then there is good dialogue.

I would be more active if there was more good debate and discussion, and every hang nail didn't turn into a "so and so is dead and will never walk with earth let alone play baseball again thread."

When you can predict what each poster is going to say, its often not worth engaging.

My 2 cents.
    Thanks LL for the courage and honesty. I can say with some confidence you are not alone. Many have left, some still lurk on the edges.

I don't personally think the mods and or admin handle some situations fairly. Example: admin tag teamed up on Leo. I get Leo is extreme with his viewpoints but IMO he is entitled to them and shouldn't have had the mods call him out like that. That should be handled in PM. IMO he didn't break any forum rules.

I also don't think it's fair to put blame on posters who have different ways of voicing opinions. I think banter is fun and a way to vent and enjoy the game. It can be stressful at times being a fan.

I view this forum as like going to the game with buddies. Talking some serious stuff but also some banter.

I think the perfect example of a poster like that is kinko. He mixes in some banter and serious discussions.

I think serious discussion and banter can coexist. I don't think it's difficult to ignore the banter and just talk with posters who may be more your cup of tea. I personally think the board is losing membership across the board and are trying to come up with scapegoats as to why. I don't think that's a huge reason. Maybe it is since I don't have insider knowledge. I think people will just come up with excuses as to why certain things are going downward.

If it wasn't for Tapatalk, I wouldn't even post on here. The ads are out of control and make it very difficult to even type on the mobile website. I understand money needs to be made, but it could be done better.

Thats my view and my opinion on everything.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

RC you are entitled to your opinion and version of reality. Rest assured no one is looking for a scapegoat. I could care less about PSD, frankly my time is too valuable to mediate petty squabbles and other nonsense. I do this because I am a fan, I care about the Yankees and I care about keeping the forum focused on task. I also care about people. There are many good people who have contributed to the success of this forum, unfortunately many have chosen to leave for a variety of reasons. I can say with confidence one of the reasons is the petty squabbles and increasing negativity directed towards players and posters.

Your assumption (accusation) that we don't handle things fairly may be a biased view. All I can stand on is my word. I can reassure you posters have left the forum due to the negativity and fear of reprisal for dissenting. As one poster suggested "Why bother....it's become a play ground full of kids hurling insults."

We are all entitled to express opinion, I will defend your right just as I would Nick's or Clown. However, as mentioned to Leo, you must also be prepared to deal with the fallout when expressing negative opinions about players or the team. I enjoy the banter as much as anyone, however it does cross the line on occasion. I believe I have been very lenient as regards rule enforcement , respecting the adults in the room to police themselves. Some posters have chosen to leave rather than fight. We must all keep in mind, for some....you reap what you sow. I prefer peace, lively discussion and a jovial atmosphere if possible. There was a time not too long ago I believe we shared that, it's my hope we will return.

Doc, I have also seen plenty of very good exchanges that take place between people who post regularly and others not join in.

And honestly, if enough people wanted to post, things would be different. It's a bit of the chicken and egg thing. I've seen stretches where the board is very active and there is good dialogue. Then is slows down and we get more of the stuff to which you and LL refer.
    Personally, I would rather have fun and people post something, anything, than be like other boards that are totally dead.

Doc, I have also seen plenty of very good exchanges that take place between people who post regularly and others not join in.

And honestly, if enough people wanted to post, things would be different. It's a bit of the chicken and egg thing. I've seen stretches where the board is very active and there is good dialogue. Then is slows down and we get more of the stuff to which you and LL refer.
    Personally, I would rather have fun and people post something, anything, than be like other boards that are totally dead.
    Honestly clown I prefer the activity, sans the negativity. We all want to have fun and enjoy talking BB. Your wit, creativity and sense of humor are not lost on me and are always welcome.

In fact you may recall I was able to get the OT thread up and running after it was banned by the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Honestly clown I prefer the activity, sans the negativity. We all want to have fun and enjoy talking BB. Your wit, creativity and sense of humor are not lost on me and are always welcome.

In fact you may recall I was able to get the OT thread up and running after it was banned by the administration.
    I know and it's still alive!!! Thank you again!

I guess i just meant when the kids are occupied, there is no time for arguing because everyone is having fun. When the kids are a little bored because not much is happening, they start to jab each other.

(I was going to say, poke each other but I knew RC and 28 would be juvenile)

I know and it's still alive!!! Thank you again!

I guess i just meant when the kids are occupied, there is no time for arguing because everyone is having fun. When the kids are a little bored because not much is happening, they start to jab each other.

(I was going to say, poke each other but I knew RC and 28 would be juvenile)

Agree.

Also agree on the poke joke.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    RC you are entitled to your opinion and version of reality. Rest assured no one is looking for a scapegoat. I could care less about PSD, frankly my time is too valuable to mediate petty squabbles and other nonsense. I do this because I am a fan, I care about the Yankees and I care about keeping the forum focused on task. I also care about people. There are many good people who have contributed to the success of this forum, unfortunately many have chosen to leave for a variety of reasons. I can say with confidence one of the reasons is the petty squabbles and increasing negativity directed towards players and posters.

Your assumption (accusation) that we don't handle things fairly may be a biased view. All I can stand on is my word. I can reassure you posters have left the forum due to the negativity and fear of reprisal for dissenting. As one poster suggested "Why bother....it's become a play ground full of kids hurling insults."

We are all entitled to express opinion, I will defend your right just as I would Nick's or Clown. However, as mentioned to Leo, you must also be prepared to deal with the fallout when expressing negative opinions about players or the team. I enjoy the banter as much as anyone, however it does cross the line on occasion. I believe I have been very lenient as regards rule enforcement , respecting the adults in the room to police themselves. Some posters have chosen to leave rather than fight. We must all keep in mind, for some....you reap what you sow. I prefer peace, lively discussion and a jovial atmosphere if possible. There was a time not too long ago I believe we shared that, it's my hope we will return.
    I'm not even a big Leo fan but I just don't think it's right that he can be attacked personally by mods/Admin, yet a tool like Mr day after criticism can continue to just be what he is. If you're going to call him out, call the rest out. Myself included, if I'm on that list.

Thats all I have to say with my time and my ''version of reality''

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 06-12-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast