Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

The Robinson Cano watch officially begins

Heading into this past weekend's games, there were two players to be concerned with: Brandon Nimmo and Robinson Cano. Nimmo to me was the lesser of the two concerns. He's young, probably not in his prime yet, and clearly the dude just had to make some adjustments.

FoC's solution was to send him up to Syracuse for a month where he could work on his swing mechanics away from the big city lights and the pressures of major league ball. Then, I was sure, he'd come back as good as new.

The much-maligned Mickey Callaway had other ideas. He felt it was best to drop him down to the 8th spot Friday, as many PSD posters had suggested in response to my more drastic fix. Nimmo responded in a big way, batting .545 with 2 doubles and a home run and a 1.455 over those three games. And that was even after returning to leadoff the last 2 games. So chalk one up for Mickey. At least for the time being. As always, there's a Zen Master saying, "We'll see."

Unfortunately, there seems to be no bottom for Cano's slump that many PSD posters are quick to write off because, hey, he's Robinson Cano, one of the greatest hitting second basemen in baseball history. And yeah, I know it's only April 15, tax day and Jackie Robinson Day. But i don't think it's premature to start the watch.

Full disclosure, I'm well aware that I possess the powers of the Moosh. If you're shooting craps, you don't want my money touching yours. And if you see me at the track, you'd better hope i didn't bet on your horse. I get all that. So maybe I have an ulterior motive in calling out Cano now to start the official watch.

Still, I can't ignore that he seems to keep getting worse. In three of the four games against Atlanta (Thank God Mickey FINALLY sat him Saturday) he managed all of one single and one double in 15 plate appearances. And no, not even a walk.

I'm concerned. The man is 36 years old and the team is on the hook for $100 million through 2024. That's a boatload of cash to swallow for the privilege of trading for Diaz if Cano doesnt return to at least a shell of his former self.

If he doesn't we're effed. As Mickey has shown so far, he's reluctant to move him out of the 3-hole much less bench him for any length of time. You know there's no way we eat a significant amount of his salary to move him And if he stays, he starts. Yeah.

But stay tuned. The Zen Master works both ways.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Nimmo after 14 games has a slash line of .235/.350/.412/ wOBA-.335

That's after a slow start.

I'll take it.

The biggest surprise to me this year is Dombo, who is having an incredible start to the season. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

.444/.524/.556/ wOBA-.468

I want to see him get some at bats, primarily at the expense of anyone not name Conforto and Alonso.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Nimmo after 14 games has a slash line of .235/.350/.412/ wOBA-.335

That's after a slow start.

I'll take it.

The biggest surprise to me this year is Dombo, who is having an incredible start to the season. I hope he continues to prove me wrong.

.444/.524/.556/ wOBA-.468

I want to see him get some at bats, primarily at the expense of anyone not name Conforto and Alonso.
    I'm not sure how you do that. He really can't play the outfield. So it's either first base or pinch hitting. But I will say this: I will buy a handgun and personally shoot Mickey if both Dom and Alonso aren't in the lineup together when the Mets play in an American league city*

*Yes, Dug, that's a figurative comment. I won't actually be buying a gun i won't actually be shooting anyone. But I will be really pissed off!!!!!
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-15-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

May 15
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I'm not sure how you do that. He really can't play the outfield. So it's either first base or pinch hitting. But I will say this: I will buy a handgun and personally shoot Mickey if both he and Alonso aren't in the lineup together when the Mets play in an American league city*

*Yes, Dug, that's a figurative comment. I won't actually be buying a gun i won't actually be shooting anyone. But I will be really pissed off!!!!!
    I am willing to give him some reps in the outfield.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    May 15
    Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    May 15
    Here we go again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resum้

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Here we go again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, the dude gets points for being consistent!

Actually, you can start a watch any time you wish, but I would wait until May 15 to determine a course of action.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, at least fails while daring greatly.” -- Teddy Roosevelt

When Lowrie comes back he will push Cano.

Cano will be fine. He will go on a tear and make some of those plays in the field where he takes the angles to the ball that he's become famous for and everyone will forget the slow start. He looked great in Spring Training and was absolutely smoking the ball. He's just off to a slow start. If I recall correctly he got off to a slow start his first year in Seattle and was back to the numbers on the back of his baseball card by the end of the year
    "I got a headache, a toothache and bad times too..." - Nina Simone

Quote Originally Posted by MetsKnicks View Post
    Cano will be fine. He will go on a tear and make some of those plays in the field where he takes the angles to the ball that he's become famous for and everyone will forget the slow start. He looked great in Spring Training and was absolutely smoking the ball. He's just off to a slow start. If I recall correctly he got off to a slow start his first year in Seattle and was back to the numbers on the back of his baseball card by the end of the year
    Through his first 15 games with Seattle, he still managed to hit .270 and an OBP of over .330. No, not good. But stellar compared to what he's doing now.

His defensive range is pretty bad, if the ball isn't hit right at him or a few feet to either side, he just can't make the play.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsKnicks View Post
    I dont know what player you are watching but hes no longer that fielder. Hes lost most of his range.

Hitting is what hes here for, its to early to know whether or not that's taken a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    When Lowrie comes back he will push Cano.
    Cano's making $20 million this year and the next 4. He ain't worried.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast