Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Toronto was denied several times from talking to Masai. You absolutely have to be granted permission while under contract. Generally if it's for a lateral move it's not allowed but for a promotion it would be. Tim Leiweke was very persistent about asking permission from Denver to talk to Masai and eventually was allowed and then things came together. But to be honest, I can't ever remember compensation in the NBA for management.
    Yes, permission is needed. But it's granted far more often than it isn't. Daryl Morey had permission to speak with Philly last year. Tim Connelley spoke with Washington this year. Yes, there are occasions in which it isn't. But for the most part, it is because owners don't want to risk pissing off their star GMs by holding them hostage. So for the most part, they allow them to speak to other teams and then just give them a raise and call it a day.
    POOP

People are talking about the reasons he wouldn't leave Toronto. Now lets talk about the reasons he would.

1.Ownership Stake.
    2.He has political aspirations. What better place than Washington DC.
    3.Basketball without Borders program would be a better fit in DC
    4.His Wife is from DC.

PAPI SMASH!

Only one of those 4 that really operate Will is wife is from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal827 View Post
    Couple things here:

First of all, I can understand teams wanting to take pieces off a team that has a strong foundation set (Like Kawhi and Masai)... but I don't recall so much talk going on, as the team is STILL playing in the finals... Isn't that tampering too (until the team is done)? But I guess it's speculation so it just stays ahead of that fine line.

Second, isn't Masai still under contract... In 2016, he signed a multi-year extension with Toronto, but he already had 2 years on the deal... so that would take him to 2018 before the extension would take place. Doesn't anyone know the parameters in the contract? As in, does he have opt outs or other clauses? Or (if he were to want to go to washington), need an agreement with Toronto to get out from his extension (or a Wizards trade)?
    If Washington is offering him a share of ownership equity, plus the ability to run things on the Monumental Sports end- which they plan to- then the Raptors would need to offer him something similar in return because this would most certainly be considered a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnsanity View Post
    Executive contracts and player contracts are very different. Typically, teams allow executives to negotiate with other teams freely. I can't think of a single instance in which a team wanted to interview another team's executive, regardless of their present title, and was denied. The flip side is that executives rarely ditch their original teams for new ones because of all of the other things that go into that job. It's not like they can migrate their entire staffs. They've spent years building an entire organization, and don't want to start from scratch elsewhere unless they have either a personal attachment to another team/city or if the new team is offering a substantially bigger contract. So for the most part, teams allow their execs to speak with other teams, but such situations are usually resolved with a new contract from the incumbent team.
    The other negative for Ujiri is what the Orioles experienced last year with hiring Mike Elias as their GM- they've waited until the very end to make this offer. Most other teams have filled coaching vacancies, made front office hirings/firings/promotions, etc. So he's not going to really be able to make a lot of impact hires for year one, and is going to go with a lot of the people already in-house except for the few positions he deems critical. Elias really only hired about 3-4 people in high positions to assist him, and as contracts expired, he really took on a lot of the work himself, and is planning to fill those positions at the end of the MLB season when it's the normal hiring period.

Not going to happen. Larry Tanenbaum already said he's not going anywhere. MLSE is very aware of what is going on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

I mean sure it could happen, I shouldn't say that but I will say unlikely.

“It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, is trying to persuade Ujiri to leave the NBA champions to join the Wizards, according to The Athletic's Ethan Strauss.

"I hear Barack Obama's a part of that whole Masai recruitment to D.C.," Strauss said on a recent episode of the "Back To Back" podcast. "I've heard Obama wants Masai in D.C. Obama wants to do something with basketball."
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...-ujiri-wizards

PAPI SMASH!

He's a criminal now, no place for him in DC, let him rot in Toronto

Isn't Obama from Chicago and a Bulls fan?

Why would he recruit for the Wizards?

Btw, it's crazy how little we talk about the Bulls considering their market size and all.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Isn't Obama from Chicago and a Bulls fan?

Why would he recruit for the Wizards?

Btw, it's crazy how little we talk about the Bulls considering their market size and all.

if im not mistaken, Obama lives in the DC arena now, if he wants to be involved, thats the easiest place for him to be involved

me assuming: its much easier for Obama to work in DC with the ownership structure the Wiz have then Obama trying to work for the Bulls and that current ownership structure

First Sim League Title!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12