Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Bring in Champ and we are finally ready to roll.

Thank God. Yes, also adding Champ could eventually make us champs.

What a complete emotional turnaround. I was afraid that when the Texans fired their GM yesterday that Douglas was going to go there and that we'd recycle the Texas GM off the scrap heap. Way to step up Johnson. Kudos for a change.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    I went to be and thought, these ****ers said week's end and nothing. I woke up and, I am very happy. I am pleasantly surprised by the deal length.
    I like this guy. I like his philosophy. If it comes down to two guys who are close, one guy who tested well or a guy who is high character and huge desire to play the game, go with the guy who you know will give his best effort.
    It's interesting, while Polite isn't "his type of player", actually, Wesco and Cashman are.

@Johnnyi, yep. The Johsnon's handled themselves well.

For once.

I also think Douglas's mind set and philosophy will be good for Gase. Douglas doesn't sound like he will sacrifice his minds for Gase's sake.

**** off. Where's my title

There is rumor he might bring on Todd McShay.

Maccagnan seemed like a guy that drafted and brought in quality individuals. Not sure I see “a change in philosophy”

Regardless of that comment, I guess I’m happy but I’m pretty numb to GMs and head coaches being a Mets and Jets fan...as long as he doesn’t trade Quinnen Williams for an overpaid 36 year old
    Last edited by Larry M; 06-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Plus, he just looks like he commands respect, for a person that's reported to not be ego driven.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Maccagnan seemed like a guy that drafted and brought in quality individuals. Not sure I see “a change in philosophy”

Regardless of that comment, I guess I’m happy but I’m pretty numb to GMs and head coaches being a Mets and Jets fan...as long as he doesn’t trade Quinnen Williams for an overpaid 36 year old
    Robbie Anderson, Mauldin, Polite, Hack, Smith , all guys who had questions There were more of them. I think it's more than just character issues. I think it's guys with issues but very talented and getting by on their gifts with little desire to get better than the need to get.

The more I read about him, the more I like him. He seems incredibly well liked and more importantly, respected around the league.
    It will be huge to have a well respected guy in charge of this team. No one has questioned this move for the Jets. That alone is a rarity. But as far as a coach or GM? Last time was probably Parcells

**** off. Where's my title

I said this when the Jets fired Mike Maccagnan, and I’ll say it again now. For all the pain the Jets went through to get here—the bad press, the outsized contract for a first-time GM, the awkward offseason, all of it—there’s a better-than-good chance that hiring Joe Douglas will be worth it.

That’s because Douglas is among the most respected scouts, at any level, in all of football, and one of the few who you really never hear anything negative about. To try and illustrate that, I hit up the last two guys he worked for to get their feedback on Sunday.

“Joe is so prepared for this opportunity,” Eagles EVP of football operations Howie Roseman said, via text. “He’s been with three great organizations and contributed to [Super Bowl]-winning rosters. He knows what it looks like on and off the field. He’ll take some from everywhere and put his own spin on it. He’s a great listener but also passionate about what he believes in.”

“Start with being an excellent evaluator—not just good at accurately grading players, but also painting a picture of the player to everyone in the room,” texted Bears GM Ryan Pace. “Joe is great with the coaches. Great listening to everyone’s opinions and being respectful as you go through the process of establishing final grades on players.

“His personality and disposition is unique in that he’s very likable, yet he’s not afraid to stand his ground and strongly convey what he believes in. … Throw in high-end work ethic and you have someone that’s going to be successful in the GM position for the Jets.”

With that established, a few leftovers from the process during the last few weeks in Florham Park, N.J. …

• We mentioned it before, but one of Douglas’s greatest strengths comes with his Rolodex. Connected in the scouting community like Chris Ballard was going to Indianapolis two years ago, Douglas should be able to build a robust department. The first two names I’d keep an eye on are the two rising stars he poached from Baltimore upon getting to Philly: director of player personnel Andy Weidl and director of college scouting Ian Cunningham. Maybe Roseman lets him take one of the two. Among the other names that have been out there as possibilities to join Douglas in Jersey are Chicago’s Champ Kelly (who interviewed for the Jets’ job) and ESPN’s Todd McShay.

• One name that’s an important one going forward: Hymie Elhai. The SVP of business affairs and general counsel has been more active in football operations of late, and is one of three now (joining Douglas and Adam Gase) reporting directly to ownership. How Elhai fits into the overall framework figures to be one element to watch going forward—he was right there with Gase and owner Christopher Johnson in the interview process, which is a pretty clear indication of where he stands in the organization.

• The Jets were prepared for Douglas to turn them down. The team was talking contract figures with Seattle director of player personnel Scott Fitterer’s camp as they were negotiating with Douglas, which was smart business. Fitterer impressed them enough to where they were comfortable with the idea of hiring him. In the end, they got their first choice, and certainly Gase’s first choice.

• I’d consider the six years on Douglas’s deal vital, mainly because of the lingering unknown of how secure the new GM would be when Woody Johnson returns from the UK, which could happen as soon as next year. It’s also interesting that Douglas’s deal goes two years past the four-year deal Gase signed in January.

• Don’t weep for the Eagles. Howie Roseman’s stocked his staff well, and ex-Browns exec Andrew Berry was hired in part because Philly knew it would probably lose Douglas sooner rather than later. The challenge for Roseman now will be deciding who to let go with Douglas to New York, particularly when a couple of those guys have deals expiring after this season (meaning they could just walk after next year’s draft).

• My belief is that Sam Darnold’s presence was a significant draw for the candidates involved, mitigating some of the pratfalls that were on the display the last few months. So interestingly enough, the trade that Maccagnan and VP of player personnel Brian Heimerdinger made in March 2018, their most impactful move in four years there, wound up being a catalyst to finding the right people to replace them.
    Breer on the Douglas signing

Great hire. I liked the way they kept upping the offer until they signed their first choice. No one knows for sure how this will work out but I think this is a home run. I am anxious to see who he brings in to join his staff. Mc shay would be interesting.
    I am interested on how he deals with the current center and cornerback positions. I also want to see if he looks to extend L. Williams and Anderson this year before they hit free agency. They have the cap space to do so. His press conference is @ 3:00 pm Tuesday stay tuned.

The Jets doubled their offer once the Texans GM became vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by MrX27 View Post
    The Jets doubled their offer once the Texans GM became vacant.
    As long as they got the guy they want they could pay him 100 mil I wouldn’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast