Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Braves to Sign Dallas Keuchel

The Braves have agreed to terms with left-hander Dallas Keuchel, reports David O’Brien of The Athletic (Twitter link). It’s “likely” a one-year deal, O’Brien adds. Keuchel is represented by the Boras Corporation.

As was the case with Craig Kimbrel, Keuchel will see his prolonged free-agent saga come to a close just days after the draft-pick compensation that has hung over his head was lifted. The terms of the contract will surely be only a fraction of what the former Cy Young winner had eyed when rejecting a $17.9MM qualifying offer from the Astros back in November, but but a short-term arrangement will allow Keuchel the opportunity to once again test free agency — this time without the burden of a qualifying offer and likely with some lower expectations; Keuchel and Boras reportedly sought a contract of five years and more than $100MM in the early stages of free agency.

Keuchel, 31, has seen his results tail off since his brilliant Cy Young campaign back in 2015, but he’s still a quality arm who should provide some much-needed stability to a Braves rotation that hasn’t functioned according to plan (or anywhere close) in 2019. Top starter Mike Foltynewicz missed several weeks to open the season and has struggled considerably in his return from the injured list, while Sean Newcomb has been moved to the bullpen and Kevin Gausman is lugging around a 6.15 ERA. Julio Teheran has posted solid bottom-line results, but fielding-independent pitching metrics forecast him as a regression candidate.

Mike Soroka has been far and away the team’s best starter, putting himself not only in the Rookie of the Year race but in the Cy Young race early in the season. Soroka, however pitched just 56 1/3 innings between the Majors and minors last season and figures to have some degree of workload restriction facing him down the line. Lefty Max Fried has also emerged as a largely solid option, but he tossed only 111 innings last year and could see his own innings monitored a bit late in the year.
    mlbtraderumors.com

and like most other signings the deal is pending a physical.

Done deal, in my opinion a better move than going after Bumgarner, we keep the prospects and get a similar pitcher, now the Braves might want to focus on relievers and maybe even OF help to upgrade over Markakis.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Done deal, in my opinion a better move than going after Bumgarner, we keep the prospects and get a similar pitcher, now the Braves might want to focus on relievers and maybe even OF help to upgrade over Markakis.
    I think I would rather have MadBum, but value wise you are probably right. I think we can more easily upgrade bullpen through a trade than SP, so in that regard I like the move. Plus it gets Gausman out of the rotation for sure.

Braves to Sign Dallas Keuchel

1 year 13 million. Keuchel is scheduled to start for Gwinnett this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

This shouldn't stop them for trading for Madison Bumgarner. Even if we make the playoffs a rotation of Keuchel Fried and Soroka isn't good enough just based off playoff experience.

I can dig a one year deal. In fact, I prefer it over MadBum as others have stated. Hopefully he is ready soon and can help ATL make a playoff push.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mamba42 View Post
    I think I would rather have MadBum, but value wise you are probably right. I think we can more easily upgrade bullpen through a trade than SP, so in that regard I like the move. Plus it gets Gausman out of the rotation for sure.
    And is just not value, Bumgarner will be coveted by everyone that needs a SP, and by that I mean EVERYONE, no guarantee that we'll be the one who gets him. Now we have a guy, and can focus on other stuff while everyone focus on him.