Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Slay and Snacks holding out from mini camp.

How do you guys feel about it?

As far as I'm concerned, it's really none of my business, but obviously, it'll be talked about. I've seen the Lions subreddit be up in arms over them holding out, as well as Calvin's financial dispute. They've pretty much turned on all three of them. I think it's well within the player's rights to hold out, and I don't blame them for doing so. As long as contracts aren't fully guaranteed (the debate as to whether they should or shouldn't be is another discussion), I think players will hold out just like teams will cut players before their contracts are up.

I don't think this poses a threat to either Slay or Snacks for the upcoming season, but I think we'll get an interesting look at how BQ/FO handle contract impasses such as these. Will they trade the talent? Extend them? Not give them a deal at all and hope they show up? I suspect the last of the three is what occurs, but, who knows.

NFL needs guaranteed contracts. This is nonsense that every year players hold out or more money because their salaries are tiny compared to the other sports that can't touch the NFL in revenue. I fully expect a very lengthy hold out after this labor deal expires. I expect a full season is lost.

This is not good news at all.... I donít see this ending well. One, no problem. Two? We are effed! We are cheap. Period.
    ^^ ^^

click here to join the Lions Forum
    SE7EN time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10,#12, #14, #24 & #27
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    LFFS is the master at going from goofball to boss

**** them kids

Honor your contact damn it!
    ^^ ^^

Not concerned. They just don't want to do the OTA stuff.

They will get their deals, I am not worried about that. I am assuming though if Snacks gets paid A'Shawn is gone in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    They will get their deals, I am not worried about that. I am assuming though if Snacks gets paid A'Shawn is gone in the offseason.
    Yeah, even if they didn't, each would have to sit out multiple years, which just isn't happening. I think at least Slay gets paid, if not both of them. And it's not like Snacks would get some massive extension, I just think they have to guarantee more of his contract and maybe add on a bit. Slay, of course, takes an extension probably, but I think it's worth exploring and probably worth writing the check.

Your point about A'Shawn is interesting, however. While I think they'll have the money to make it work, it's really hard to justify paying (decently high money) for essentially 2 run stuffing NTs. Maybe the rare player for player trade comes about at some point. A'Shawn for a guard wouldn't be too bad a deal down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    NFL needs guaranteed contracts. This is nonsense that every year players hold out or more money because their salaries are tiny compared to the other sports that can't touch the NFL in revenue. I fully expect a very lengthy hold out after this labor deal expires. I expect a full season is lost.
    Ya, I'm really interested in how the next lockout goes. Owners can almost always wait out the players because so many live check to check. However, it would be interesting to see if the players could actually maintain their stance long enough to make any legitimate dent.

Quote Originally Posted by Zspooner View Post
    Ya, I'm really interested in how the next lockout goes. Owners can almost always wait out the players because so many live check to check. However, it would be interesting to see if the players could actually maintain their stance long enough to make any legitimate dent.
    Players association has been saving lots of money for players to prep for a long lockout. This is going to get ugly and it's going to be a long time. Honestly, get prepped for a year long shutdown. At least, there will be some college players forced to stay for an extra year.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Snacks HAS to get paid right? Otherwise trading him was for nothing.
    ^^ ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Snacks HAS to get paid right? Otherwise trading him was for nothing.
    I don't think that is necassarily true. If we have him through the extent of his current contract that is potentially 2.5 years of really really good service for a 3rd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    I don't think that is necassarily true. If we have him through the extent of his current contract that is potentially 2.5 years of really really good service for a 3rd round pick.
    hell it wasn't even a 3rd, we only tossed a 5th for one of the best run stuffers in the league