Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boyd and Greene

Bob Nightengale tweet:

Starter Matthew Boyd is likely to stay put now. No team has made an enticing offer to the #Tigers to persuade them to move him.

11:12 AM - 30 Jul 2019

Jon Morosi tweet:

Sources: #Dodgers likely to add a reliever by tomorrow afternoon, as they continue discussions on #Pirates closer Felipe Vazquez and #Tigers closer Shane Greene, among others. @MLB @MLBNetwork

11:03 AM - 30 Jul 2019
    Replay

If Houston is still on board with Boyd, I say we ditch the Tucker demand. They aren't giving him up anyway. I'd shoot for the other 22 year old slugger they have in Seth Beer. He is there #3 prospect, #5 rated 1B prospect, and #100 overall prospect. He is hitting .311, has a .412 Ob, 24 HR, and 85 RBI. He can play some OF or 1B. Seems like a great fit. I'd also have them include the #12 prospect in SS Jeremy Pena, and #13 prospect RHP Christian Javier. Done deal. If we have throw them another player, so be it. Buck Farmer or someone like that would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    better hope the FBI isn't monitoring this chat.
    kids having kids

Quote Originally Posted by hoog View Post
    If Houston is still on board with Boyd, I say we ditch the Tucker demand. They aren't giving him up anyway. I'd shoot for the other 22 year old slugger they have in Seth Beer. He is there #3 prospect, #5 rated 1B prospect, and #100 overall prospect. He is hitting .311, has a .412 Ob, 24 HR, and 85 RBI. He can play some OF or 1B. Seems like a great fit. I'd also have them include the #12 prospect in SS Jeremy Pena, and #13 prospect RHP Christian Javier. Done deal. If we have throw them another player, so be it. Buck Farmer or someone like that would be fine.
    Not only do we need sluggers, but a kid named Beer would be an instant fan favorite

very little rumors out there on Nick C as well. I have a bad feeling Avila is not doing anything and if he does it will be player dumps. Not trading Boyd is going to be really stupid as we all know this is what he is and isn't going to get better. Sell high.

Ahoda, I think the whole market is moving slow but the Bauer trade might have just upped the ante a bit on the starters still out there and that is two of the bigger names going to non-contenders so the teams in the race wanting pitching will need to pay for it after the trade last night. As for Casty, I think ATL might jump in on him.

Overall, I think around 1pm you will see just a huge rush of trades. Some teams are going to want to get a jump on others in contention and once one does it, the others will follow. The Yank's can't not get starting pitching before the deadline ends so I think it will be them who jump first. Just my opinion.

Braves are trying to get Greene right now

Hoog, you know anything about their system?

Tigers are asking for Cater Keiboom from the Nats for Greene. Good luck with that Avila. Give them Boyd too because Keiboom is top prospect and I'd gladly take him over those 2. Even then, I don't think the Nats take that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Tigers are asking for Cater Keiboom from the Nats for Greene. Good luck with that Avila. Give them Boyd too because Keiboom is top prospect and I'd gladly take him over those 2. Even then, I don't think the Nats take that trade.
    Yea, AA is nuts to think he could get Keiboom and they just basically passed Greene now by trading for Daniel Hudson. The Braves have an outstanding minor league system but like Keiboom they aren't giving up Pache or Waters for Greene. I would settle for Kyle Muller LHP (21 years old) #8 prospect or Braden Shewmake SS (21 years old) #10 prospect if they would also kick in say Tucker Davidson (LHP #15) or Trey Harris (OF #21). These guys would rank considerably hire in other systems.

Contenders are being pretty stingy so far, which scares me. I think Al is playing some serious hard ball to prove he can make good deals but it may back fire on him. We will see at 4pm. If he pulls off a Pache or Waters for Greene then he gets a tip of the cap from me.....even if he has to throw Casty in the deal as well.

Overall this is about what I expected. I don't HATE the moves made but doesn't really add much where we need it.

Boyd- I think Al Al way over valued him. At the end of the day though we keep a workhorse and likeable guy. Maybe he finishes strong and we can explore moving him in the off season.

Castallanos- I don't think too much of the guys the got but hey.....a couple lotto tickets is better than a big, fat nothing.

Greene- Not a bad return but another SP prospect? Demmeritte is mildly intriguing and I'd have no issue bringing him right in. Not rated as a Braves prospect and everyone passed on him in the rule 5 drat the last 2 years but seems to have found something at AAA. Not a bad "throw in". I like he can take a walk. I think he is a natural 2B but can play OF. I'd like to see them put him at 2B and see what he can do.

No one is ever gonna think Avila isnít gonna cave. We got Don Kelly and Al Albuquerque back for pieces we could have just kept. This was a chance to establish a willingness to negotiate from a position of strength, instead no one will fear Avila.

If the trade with the Cubs never happens which fan base is more pissed? The Tigers who donít get Don Kelly Jr and Al Al Jr and watch Casty walk or the fan base that doesnít make the deal for an impact bat and almost certainly falls short of another WS? Avila had the leverage and didnít use it. He could have paid Castyís salary or thrown in extra pieces like Goodrum (Bryant has been hurt) to get a useful player and instead he caved and got organizational depth.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    If the trade with the Cubs never happens which fan base is more pissed? The Tigers who donít get Don Kelly Jr and Al Al Jr and watch Casty walk or the fan base that doesnít make the deal for an impact bat and almost certainly falls short of another WS? Avila had the leverage and didnít use it. He could have paid Castyís salary or thrown in extra pieces like Goodrum (Bryant has been hurt) to get a useful player and instead he caved and got organizational depth.
    As for the two pitching prospects, the 23-year-old Lange was 19th on The Board for the Cubs, a 40 Future Value pitcher, while the 22-year-old Richan was unranked, a 35 FV pitcher. Lange, the Cubsí 2017 first-round pick out of Louisiana State, lists at 6-foot-3 and 197 pounds, having split his season between High-A Myrtle Beach and Double-A Tennessee; heís been lit for a 5.82 ERA in 86.2 innings and has struck out just 19.9% of all batters faced while walking 11.3%, though his ability to generate ground balls has limited him to 0.83 homers per nine. Heís got a violent, deceptive delivery that helps his fastball play up from its comparatively modest range (sits 91-93 mph, touches 95). He projects as a reliever who pitches off his secondary stuff (curve and change, both of which project to be above average) quite a lot. ďIf heís living off of deception, perhaps his future role will be limited to a one time through the order type of guy, but thatís still more than a generic 40 FV reliever,Ē wrote our prospect team in December.

Richan, who lists at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, was the Cubsí 2018 second-round pick out of the University of San Diego. This year at Myrtle Beach, heís pitched to a 3.97 ERA and a 3.52 FIP while striking out 22.2% of batters in 93 innings. Heís a 35 Future Value guy, a sixth or seventh starter type whose fastball sits 88-91 mph and tops out at 93. His slider and changeup are about average, and he pounds the strike zone. Heís the type of pitcher every organization needs, but not an impact guy.

Given that Castellanos was set to hit free agency, this move is a boon, as he now avoids receiving a qualifying offer and has a chance to play in the postseason. He should definitely help the Cubs. The Tigers, whose rebuild is sputtering along, have obtained some depth that might be more useful than the compensation pick they would have received without trading Castellanos, but this is hardly a game-changer for them.

Win/win for Casty and the Cubs and a couple scrubs for the Tigers.

I doubt Cubs fans will be thinking it as all that much of a win when they are constantly seeing Castellanos butcher balls in the outfield.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast