Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Iran

John Bolton’s war plan for Iran is ramping up in a manner eerily similar to what we saw in 2003.

The stage was set a year ago, when the Trump administration abandoned Obama’s nuclear deal and at the same time instituted harsher sanctions on Iran.

In April of 2019 Trump designated Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guard forces a terrorist group. Mr. Trump said at the time that the designation “underscores the fact that Iran’s actions are fundamentally different from those of other governments.”

Just a week ago, the U.S. military sent an aircraft carrier and bomber task force on course to Iran, which Bolton announced was “in response to a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings.” He also made clear the military threat was intended “to send a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime that any attack on United States interests or on those of our allies will be met with unrelenting force.”

On Monday, The New York Times reported that the White House has been reviewing military plans against Iran. According to sources, “Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons.”

Meanwhile, US ally Saudi Arabia claims that two of its oil tankers had been “sabotaged” off the coast of the United Arab Emirates and that one of its oil pipelines had been attacked by a drone, causing “limited” damage. However, it is not clear if Iran had any connection to the drone attacks, but no direct connection may be necessary given Bolton’s aggressive stance in the Gulf.

Yeah, I've been throwing all of this in the Trump thread. But it's big news worthy of it's own thread. I really would love to hear what the Trump supporters think but they've been absolutely silent.

I think we all saw this coming when Bolton was hired. But there was a CNN article this morning that has me slightly hopeful again that we might not ultimately head where it feels like we are.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/polit...peo/index.html

President Donald Trump has become irritated at an emerging impression his hawkish national security advisers are marching him closer to war with Iran despite his isolationist tendencies, according to people familiar with the matter.

Instead, Trump is signaling his intent to speak with the Iranians as tensions rise in the Persian Gulf, and his national security team has taken steps they hope could facilitate a new diplomatic opening.

The likelihood of such an opening appears slim. But Trump has raised concern with the heightened rhetoric, believing a large-scale military intervention with Iran would be devastating to him politically, people familiar with the situation said. The President has told members of his team that starting a new conflict would amount to breaking his campaign promise to wind down foreign entanglements. And he's chafed at suggestions his aides, led by national security adviser John Bolton, are somehow leading him to war.

As recently as last week, Trump was calling outside advisers to complain about Bolton, people familiar with the conversations said. Trump is frustrated that Bolton has allowed the Iran situation to reach a point where it seems like armed conflict is a real possibility, but his frustrations with his national security adviser actually began earlier this spring over Venezuela, when a similar dynamic -- Bolton and other aides openly hinting at military options -- caused Trump to warn his team to tamp down the rhetoric.

As tensions with Iran have escalated over the past week, National Security Council officials close to Bolton were initially dismissive of the need to draw up deescalation options, including during a meeting late last week with State and Pentagon officials.

But in a follow-up session on Wednesday with the same group, those NSC officials were singing a different tune, according to an administration official. Instead, the officials asked the Pentagon to draw up additional deterrence and deescalation options for the President to review, according to an administration official.

Trump denied on Wednesday there was any "infighting" over his Middle East policy. But he reiterated his desire to open talks with Iran, a wish he's been advocating heavily in meetings over the past week.

"Different opinions are expressed and I make a decisive and final decision - it is a very simple process. All sides, views, and policies are covered," he tweeted. "I'm sure that Iran will want to talk soon."
    I'm not going to place too much stock into this, but I do sincerely hope that Trump doesn't let the Neocons get what they clearly want. And if it's just because he's the world's foremost narcissist and is only concerned with how he's perceived, that's fine. Whatever it takes. He says he's open to talks...good. Talk. I obviously think that he's made mistakes and withdrawing was reckless, but he might be the least bloodthirsty person in that room and that's a good thing.
    Hello there! Welcome to ManRam v8.00.
    Patch notes: This version is nice, funny, cool & good™ now

And today, when asked whether the US was heading towards war with Iran, the president said, “Hope not”.

As always, Mehdi's podcast is a great means to catch up on everything:

https://theintercept.com/2019/05/16/...war-with-iran/

Military Industrial Complex needs its money. If not Iran, it will be elsewhere.

Sounds like trumps trying to avoid war and its people around him trying to get. There hasn't been a time I've rooted harder for that orange faced ****er.

Makes you wonder why he would appoint someone like Bolton when they clearly have different positions on these wars?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    Makes you wonder why he would appoint someone like Bolton when they clearly have different positions on these wars?
    Trump likes people that talk tough on TV...John Bolton does that well on non-confrontational media (aka Fox).

Trump doesn't give **** number one about avoiding war. He tweeted out in 2011 that Obama would go to war with Iran for election because that's something he would do. He told us who he was and we ignored it because he said some canned line about not getting into stupid wars.

I will NEVER support a war with Iran or another middle eastern country as long as people like John Bolton is in a position to influence the intelligence.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    I think you may be assuming that the man — Trump — has even one ounce of integrity in anything he has said or done.

As db7807 said, it’s all for show, and he’ll do what he feels like doing.

“Hope so.” WTF does that mean?

Didn't know where to put this, figured this seems to be the war hawk thread, lol

https://www.foxnews.com/world/isis-j...eard-raqqa.amp

They struck and killed this terrorist based off of his walk and beard. This is an extremely disturbing and worrisome standard employed by our government to kill people.

I don't think anyone would accept American citizens being treated like this by the police (shoot and kill someone based off their walk as an identifying factor), so we shouldn't accept other civilians to be treated as such by our military.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, figured this seems to be the war hawk thread, lol

https://www.foxnews.com/world/isis-j...eard-raqqa.amp

They struck and killed this terrorist based off of his walk and beard. This is an extremely disturbing and worrisome standard employed by our government to kill people.

I don't think anyone would accept American citizens being treated like this by the police (shoot and kill someone based off their walk as an identifying factor), so we shouldn't accept other civilians to be treated as such by our military.
    Come on nasty you better than this. If you look like Rick Ross they gonna shoot you around here as well.

Pretty ****ed up unless they have that China face tracking ****. Which is even more ****ed. Big brother is watching 84 it was TV's everywhere 19 it's cellys

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    One More Time

I see the conservatives bailed on this topic, just as they bailed on the environment.

But an AOC tweet or an Omar phrase — wow, they are all over it like maggots on rotting flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Rhody View Post
    Come on nasty you better than this. If you look like Rick Ross they gonna shoot you around here as well.

Pretty ****ed up unless they have that China face tracking ****. Which is even more ****ed. Big brother is watching 84 it was TV's everywhere 19 it's cellys

Yea but here when they shoot Rick Ross dead and then find out it was actually Rob Russ, there is accountability.

Over there, tough luck. What a depressing scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Yea but here when they shoot Rick Ross dead and then find out it was actually Rob Russ, there is accountability.

Over there, tough luck. What a depressing scenario.
    I wanted to die/cry/die again when I watched vice and people in Iraq we're happy for cloudy days so they could see the drones and not die. **** we doing man making people hate the sun for ****sake.

One More Time

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast