Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Impressions a month and a half in?

Month and a half in, we're starting to see guys and teams who started slow pick things up, as well as guys and teams who got off to hot starts come back down to earth. What are some things or players that you have been impressed with, as well as disappointed with?

The Lost Boys of PSD

It's sad this thread didn't get a response, feels like people don't want to actually talk baseball any longer.

My first impressions this early?

Bellinger and Yelich are beasts, but I wonder for how long.

I look at run differentials more than I do records this early in the season.

I'd love to see Tampa win the East, and Minnesota the Central. Astros won't and don't have any real competition.

It feels like Philly is going to break away at some point in the East, but I can see the teams not in Miami hanging around, but it FEELS like Philly will win like 10 out of 12 next matches against those 3 teams, and it'll set them way ahead.

I think Central is going to be a dog fight all year. And the West is just a discussion over who will place second, and if they can get one of the wild cards, because Dodgers will easily win that division.

Early projections for me

AL
    Rays win east
    Yankees and Red Sox in the Wild Card game
    Minnesota in the Central and the Astros with the best record in the AL

NL
    Phillies in the East by 5+ games
    Cubs in the Central
    Dodgers in the West
    Cards and Brewers in the wild card game

Bellinger and Trout MVP's

Too early to guess on Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's sad this thread didn't get a response, feels like people don't want to actually talk baseball any longer.

My first impressions this early?

Bellinger and Yelich are beasts, but I wonder for how long.

I look at run differentials more than I do records this early in the season.

I'd love to see Tampa win the East, and Minnesota the Central. Astros won't and don't have any real competition.

It feels like Philly is going to break away at some point in the East, but I can see the teams not in Miami hanging around, but it FEELS like Philly will win like 10 out of 12 next matches against those 3 teams, and it'll set them way ahead.

I think Central is going to be a dog fight all year. And the West is just a discussion over who will place second, and if they can get one of the wild cards, because Dodgers will easily win that division.

Early projections for me

AL
    Rays win east
    Yankees and Red Sox in the Wild Card game
    Minnesota in the Central and the Astros with the best record in the AL

NL
    Phillies in the East by 5+ games
    Cubs in the Central
    Dodgers in the West
    Cards and Brewers in the wild card game

Bellinger and Trout MVP's

Too early to guess on Cy Young
    You know jeffy, I don't agree with you often, but I have to agree now. Not enough baseball talk. So I will take a stab at it.

AL East: Yankees
    Central: Indians
    West; Astros
    WC: Boston and Twins

Both the East and the Central will come down to maybe a 2 game difference between 1st and second. Astros will run away with it.

NL East: Braves. I think the Phillies will falter some.
    NL Central: Cubs
    NL West: Dodgers
    WC: Cardinals and Phillies

I think the East and Central will come down to a few games. Cubs/Cardinals the last weekend of the season might determine the Central.
    Dodgers in a landslide.

I am not sold on the Brewers. I think eventually that pitching is going to fall apart. Maybe they win 85, they are still decent. But I think the WC teams will win between 88 and 92 games.

No idea on MVP or Cy Young. I Guess if I had to say who I thought the favorites were I would go with what you have, Bellinger and Trout.
    Last edited by rcal10; 05-15-2019 at 05:17 PM.

I think the Cubs pull away with a 5+ game lead in the Central and the Cards will be too far back. I don't think the Brewers will be in it by mid September though. They still feel like a .500 team to me (maybe 85 wins). I think Cards are in the 90-93 win range, Cubs in the 95-98 range.

-Astros still the best team in the game (yes, I think they were a more talented squad than BOS last year)

-Yankees could be scary good if they were anywhere close to full strength

-Christian Yelich is legit af but Bellinger been even better this year. However, I have much more faith in Yelich continuing to play at a MVP level

-Dodgers have no real competition in the NL West as I expected

-Giants need to sell off any and all veterans to the highest bidder whenever that may be (though I'm sure Posey, Longoria, and Crawford aren't going anywhere). Would like to see the Brewers get Bumgarner if/when he's going to be traded. Lots of potential landing spots for Will Smith

-Nationals majorly underperforming once again which I didn't expect (but maybe should have)

-Twins, Rays, and Padres all performing excellent but I wouldn't bet that it can be maintained

-Josh Bell, Hunter Dozier, Joey Gallo, Wilson Contreras, Jorge Polanco, and Dan Vogelbach all somewhat unexpectedly putting up powerhouse offensive numbers

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

I think the Cubs pull away with a 5+ game lead in the Central and the Cards will be too far back. I don't think the Brewers will be in it by mid September though. They still feel like a .500 team to me (maybe 85 wins). I think Cards are in the 90-93 win range, Cubs in the 95-98 range.
    Never expected to say this, but I do not see the Cubs with as many wins as you do. I do see 93 to maybe a high of 95 with the Cardinals right around what you see them at, maybe a win or 2 less. I think the Central is too balanced for either to get to the high 90's.

First Impressions a month and a half in?

Al east - Yankees - I think theyíll run away once they get healthy
    Central - Twins
    West - Astros
    WC - Tampa and Cleveland

NL east - Philly
    Central - I guessed Stl before the season started, but the Cubs have been great. Itíll be tight.
    West - LA of course
    WC - Cubs/Cards runner up and Braves, but SD and probably Milwaukee will be in it until the end.

Most surprising players so far this year (in a good way): Polonco, Dozier, Josh Bell, Matthew Boyd. The Luis Castillo and Tyler Glasnow breakouts were a long time coming and really started last year. Same with Zach Wheeler. Heís setting up a nice FA payday if he can stay healthy (big if). Brandon Woodruff is really saving the Brewers rotation so far. Heís a good player.

I had Berrios as my Preseason sleeper (sort of a sleeper - he was always good, but never Cy good) AL Cy pick. He hasnít been the best pitcher in the AL, but heís staying in the conversation.

Most disappointing player - JBJ. I thought he was going to breakout again this year and heís been brutal.

A few other players who have been disappointing to me - Gleyber Torres. Heís still hitting above average and heíll probably get hot soon, but heís a lot better than his early performance. Eloy - he got hurt (as he often does), but he was off to a rough start. Heíll hit but the real concern is his early defensive metrics. Small sample defensive metrics donít mean. Much, but that was always a concern for Eloy and the numbers were ugly. If heís an often injured DH heíll need to be a complete monster at the plate to justify the contract he signed. I wouldnít say Iím disappointed by it, but I thought Corbin Burnes would be the Brewers best starter. Heís had a rough start.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-15-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Paul Dolan choose money over keeping the Indians as title contenders. Having prob the best pitching rotation in baseball (facing some injuries but everyone should be back). a solid bullpen. But HORRIBLE offense. Terading or leting great talernt walk and getting nothing back.

If they spent alittle money on resigning Brantley, grabbing a nelson cruz, bringing Cabrera back etc... This would prob be the best team in baseball right now.
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy View Post
    Paul Dolan choose money over keeping the Indians as title contenders. Having prob the best pitching rotation in baseball (facing some injuries but everyone should be back). a solid bullpen. But HORRIBLE offense. Terading or leting great talernt walk and getting nothing back.

If they spent alittle money on resigning Brantley, grabbing a nelson cruz, bringing Cabrera back etc... This would prob be the best team in baseball right now.
    The Indians only produced $282M in revenue last year (Forbes)

Payroll should be expected to be around 45% of that. They are at $120M in OD payroll, and 45% would be $127M

I mean, what were they going to spend the extra $7M on that would change the team? They didn't have the resources to pay Brantley ($17M in 2019) or add Cruz ($14M in 2019), though they could have brought back Melky, but I'm not sure that was really going to help that much.

I don't see what they were going to spend that $7M on that would be making a huge difference for their lineup, especially because they can still likely add payroll at the deadline for a better fit.

MVP Tommy La Stella.

The Indians only produced $282M in revenue last year (Forbes)

Payroll should be expected to be around 45% of that. They are at $120M in OD payroll, and 45% would be $127M

I mean, what were they going to spend the extra $7M on that would change the team? They didn't have the resources to pay Brantley ($17M in 2019) or add Cruz ($14M in 2019), though they could have brought back Melky, but I'm not sure that was really going to help that much.

I don't see what they were going to spend that $7M on that would be making a huge difference for their lineup, especially because they can still likely add payroll at the deadline for a better fit.
    Dolan after all expenses pocketed over 60 million. i understand this is a business. But i hope its not the owners only business lol. Do you want to win? that becomes the question. Every year the indians are solid to good team because of their drafting/scouting and GM's. But ownership refuses to make the move to push hte team over the top. Always been that way with the dolans.

Dolan needs to decide whats most important. getting as much money as possible or winning. (which BTW winning will make u a lot of money). Sell the team if you wont do what it takes.

I'll never ask an owner to lose money. Dolan could've signed brantley, Melky and Nelson/andrew and still pocketed over 30million. (using same numbers as last season). But im sure attendance, merch sells, postseason length would've all been better earning more money.

Dolan after all expenses pocketed over 60 million. i understand this is a business. But i hope its not the owners only business lol. Do you want to win? that becomes the question. Every year the indians are solid to good team because of their drafting/scouting and GM's. But ownership refuses to make the move to push hte team over the top. Always been that way with the dolans.

Dolan needs to decide whats most important. getting as much money as possible or winning. (which BTW winning will make u a lot of money). Sell the team if you wont do what it takes.

I'll never ask an owner to lose money. Dolan could've signed brantley, Melky and Nelson/andrew and still pocketed over 30million. (using same numbers as last season). But im sure attendance, merch sells, postseason length would've all been better earning more money.
    What has changed that turned Ramirez from a 140 wRC+ to a 100 over his last 500+ PA?

Dolan after all expenses pocketed over 60 million.
    Ownership NET $60M? Can you share a link.

i understand this is a business. But i hope its not the owners only business lol. Do you want to win? that becomes the question. Every year the indians are solid to good team because of their drafting/scouting and GM's. But ownership refuses to make the move to push hte team over the top. Always been that way with the dolans.
    you act like spending automatically makes the team better or something.

The Indians are slacking because Jose Ramirez has a 60 wRC+, Lindor only a 98 and missed basically the first month of the season, and Kipnis and Cargo have been worthless.

I can see the argument that they could have made a move to bring in some more one year only guys like Derek Dietrich etc. But a lot of those guys taking those deals want a clear path to playing time, something the Indians weren't going to be able to guarantee.

Bauer, Lindor, Ramirez, and Santana should be giving the Indians a solid 4 hitters every night, but they haven't been performing. If they were, I don't think you'd be complaining as much, because the Indians wouldn't be where they are in the standings right now.

Larry is 88, I don't think he's making the decisions as much anymore. He's sons likely are, and they likely have a bottom line they want to control. As every business does and should. Spending $17M on bringing Brantley back doesn't likely move the needle much in the standings, but does a lot to this teams bottom line.

Well we are assuming they actually NET that amount, and that wasn't just gross.

Merch is league wide shared, so that wouldn't make a difference, and attendance is negligible. Maybe another $1-3M in attendance if they were a 95+ win team? Teams make their money in their tv deals, and deep playoff drives help.

You have to be able to convince an owner that the investment is going to have a return.

Hendricks is who I thought he was. That was my impression two years ago glad it has been fortified now.

Hope Bum doesn't get traded. He's only 29, he can still be a viable weapon when they compete again.

you act like spending automatically makes the team better or something.

The Indians are slacking because Jose Ramirez has a 60 wRC+, Lindor only a 98 and missed basically the first month of the season, and Kipnis and Cargo have been worthless.
    This isn't just a this year probelm with Dolan. Its who he is. I also never said to spend foolish. But you gotta fix weaknesses if you wanna win period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast