Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many W's Will We Fly?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 16.67%

3 50.00%

2 33.33%
Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think the Schwarber panic has two issues. Issue number one is his numbers are not good now, so that means he is not good. Issue number two is his ceiling is never going to be reached.

On the first, issue, I agree with you. I think he will be fine, and a solid major league ballplayer. Like you said 110wRC+. Maybe even better.

On the second issue, I agree with those who do not think he will ever be the super star hitter many projected him to be. I agree his ceiling was way too high.

So if people are worried about that, I get it. But I am not worried that he is not a plus hitter. IMO, he is, and he will be this year. Just not they guy some thought he would be.
    I’ve got no issue with that. I thought Schwarber would be a 130-140 wRC+ bat. He clearly hasn’t been that and it’s pretty unlikely that he’ll suddenly become that. That’s a bummer.

However a 110 wRC+ hitter is 10 percent above league average. It’s hardly a useless player or the worst hitter on the team as somebody claimed. Over his career he has objectively been a good, not great hitter and he’s hitting poorly at the moment.

You mean like the large sample size called 2018, when he had OPS of 823 and OPS+ of 117? Is that the guy we know he will be? If so, that is pretty good.
    There are currently 30 major league outfielders hitting over that. 823 OPS mark. It's fine, but it isn't special.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    There are currently 30 major league outfielders hitting over that. 823 OPS mark. It's fine, but it isn't special.
    I agree. It's fine. It is everyday player fine. You said currently there are 30 major league outfielders over that number. How many last year? And with 30 better that puts his squarely in the pretty good category with those stats. Like I said, those expecting a monster bat, will be disappointed. But that doesn't mean he is not good. Just not star quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think the Cubs were willing to trade players for mlb talent the last 2 offseasons. They’ve been pretty clear about that. They just didn’t get offers of much value because the players they’ve been willing to trade haven’t exactly played great.

Yeah, I think we know that Schwarber is about a 110 wRC+ hitter over a large sample. He’s at 85 this year, so I’m expecting that he’ll show improvement soon.
    I agree. IMO the Cubs were open for business. But they were underwhelmed so they kept the guys.

5/14-5/16: First Place Cubs (24-14) vs Reds (18-23) IGT

I don’t think anyone is making the case that Schwarber has been special. The point is exactly that he’s been fine. He hasn’t been a “waste of space” or the “worst hitter on the team” as someone claimed. He’s been disappointing, but still fine. He’s been an above average hitter with playable defense in LF for the last 4 years and he’s off to a slow start this year. Hopefully he starts getting hot tonight because with Rizzo and Contreras out they might need his offense tonight.

I don’t think anyone is making the case that Schwarber has been special. The point is exactly that he’s been fine. He hasn’t been a “waste of space” or the “worst hitter on the team” as someone claimed. He’s been disappointing, but still fine. He’s been an above average hitter with playable defense in LF for the last 4 years and he’s off to a slow start this year. Hopefully he starts getting hot tonight because with Rizzo and Contreras out they might need his offense tonight.
    Agreed. I didn't say waste of space. Ultimately, I think Schwarber will be fine. However, there was a point in time when his value was mythic. Settling for fine feels wholly unsatisfying.

I agree. It's fine. It is everyday player fine. You said currently there are 30 major league outfielders over that number. How many last year? And with 30 better that puts his squarely in the pretty good category with those stats. Like I said, those expecting a monster bat, will be disappointed. But that doesn't mean he is not good. Just not star quality.
    Schwarber finished 19th among qualified outfielders in OPS last year.

Schwarber finished 19th among qualified outfielders in OPS last year.
    I would suggest that is good. I understand disappointment with him. We all wanted him to be a great player. His ceiling was a lot higher. However, a team is not filled with all great players. As a good player he is very playable. He is just not playing well now.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Or it points to her being unfaithful and she wants out asap.

It could also point to, she's realizing that her money train is coming to an end after this season, and that's what's been keeping her around

I feel very confident that she's the reason behind this, and he's devastated
    That’s what my gut is saying and it has nothing to do with my feelings about him regarding baseball. He just seems like such a high character guy and with his beliefs I just don’t see him straying.

Cubs win again!

Great to see the starting rotation going much deeper in games this season (Except for Yu know who) so hopefully the bullpen won't burn out again down the stretch like in recent years.

Hendricks has been amazing in the month of May. He is so hot right now that his bat caught fire. Say what you will about Almora's lack of offense, but my god he truly impacts the game on defense. How many hits and runs has that guy prevented in CF this year alone?
    Last edited by Vince70; 05-15-2019 at 06:03 PM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

If you must know, it was post #562 of the Dodgers thread.

I would bump KB way down in the order. Put him #6 or #7. Can’t have an automatic out as your #2 hitter

And this when was he was on base 14 of the last 30 PA prior to that comment. So, you did say that exact thing. The bold italics were your exact words. Sorry, I don't know any other way to get this to this thread.
    The Bryant comment was wrong but I’m extremely confident in what I think about Schwarber. I’m certain of it in fact.

5/14-5/16: First Place Cubs (24-14) vs Reds (18-23) IGT

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    If Darvish were to pitch 5 innings or so tonight and give up 1-2 runs, do you consider having Caratini replace Zagunis instead of Davis? Darvish has been awful, but they’ve at least been able to limit damage in 2 of his 3 starts with Davis and Davis clearly stole some strikes for him. If you have a 3rd catcher on the roster it frees them up to use Caratini more as a pinch hitter and Zagunis sucks anyway. Davis can catch Darvish and leave the game when Darvish does and otherwise be an emergency catcher/last guy on the bench. Caratini can finish games Davis starts, get an occasional other start at C or 1b, and be a primary pinch hitter. I’d consider it pretty strongly.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-15-2019 at 06:09 PM.

I think that a player should be compared to others that play the same position.

Using wRC+, last year, (115) Kyle was 26th among corner OF'ers. This year, (85) he is 52nd. We have to keep in mind that he is primarily a platoon player, with the luxury of facing RHP for the bulk of his AB's.

If I was told that he would be facing RHP for the majority of his AB's, I would have expected him to be hovering around a wRC+ of about 140. Having a career 110 wRC+ under these circumstances up to this point is extremely disappointing. At least for me it is. In all fairness, my expectations for Kyle used to be very high. This year he's been producing like a light hitting middle IF'er. Not good.

If Darvish were to pitch 5 innings or so tonight and give up 1-2 runs, do you consider having Caratini replace Zagunis instead of Davis? Darvish has been awful, but they’ve at least been able to limit damage in 2 of his 3 starts with Davis and Davis clearly stole some strikes for him. If you have a 3rd catcher on the roster it frees them up to use Caratini more as a pinch hitter and Zagunis sucks anyway. Davis can catch Darvish and leave the game when Darvish does and otherwise be an emergency catcher/last guy on the bench. Caratini can finish games Davis starts, get an occasional other start at C or 1b, and be a primary pinch hitter. I’d consider it pretty strongly.
    How good is Caratinis framing? Need a catcher that can steal as many strikes as possible for Darvishsefat

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast