Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How many W's Will We Fly?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

1 16.67%

3 50.00%

2 33.33%
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownPacerFan View Post
    Anything can theoretically go wrong, but I have nothing but confidence in Lester, Hendricks, and company.

Every time things have gone wrong for this group, it's been because of offensive woes. 2015 NLCS, offense let us down. 2017 against the Dodgers, offense. 2018 second half, offense. Even during the glorious 2016 run, there were stretches where it was brutal.
    The offense also carried us a lot in the NLDS in 2015 and 2017. And the pitching had plenty of breakdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The irony is I'm more worried about the pitching as a whole than the position players. Not sure how long I expect 35 year old 89 MPH throwing Jon Lester to continue with the kind of numbers he's posted so far. The Cubs have a lot of good, not great pitchers. They have a lot of great hitters and lots of okay ones that Joe can play the matchups with and almost always have really top notch defense.
    Ha, this is a thought pulled straight from my brain. Hamels reduced velo, while not everything, also doesn't give me the warm & fuzzies.

5/14-5/16: First Place Cubs (24-14) vs Reds (18-23) IGT

Anything can theoretically go wrong, but I have nothing but confidence in Lester, Hendricks, and company.

Every time things have gone wrong for this group, it's been because of offensive woes. 2015 NLCS, offense let us down. 2017 against the Dodgers, offense. 2018 second half, offense. Even during the glorious 2016 run, there were stretches where it was brutal.
    When was it brutal offensively in 2016? The closest they had to brutal was a few stretches around 2-4 runs most nights. If you think thatís brutal, youíve probably never watched a baseball season before because that happens to every team many times each year. This has been discussed so many times before but teams donít just score 5 runs every night. Thatís not how baseball works.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    The offense also carried us a lot in the NLDS in 2015 and 2017. And the pitching had plenty of breakdowns.
    For me, it boils down to "pitching breakdowns" being normal baseball occurrences. Happens to everyone. What happened to our offense in those instances isn't normal for a good team.

For me, it boils down to "pitching breakdowns" being normal baseball occurrences. Happens to everyone. What happened to our offense in those instances isn't normal for a good team.
    So pitching breakdowns where teams struggle to prevent runs is a normal thing for good teams, but offensive breakdowns where teams struggle to score runs is abnormal for good teams? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    So pitching breakdowns where teams struggle to prevent runs is a normal thing for good teams, but offensive breakdowns where teams struggle to score runs is abnormal for good teams? How so?
    Because any single pitcher can not have it on any given day. If Lester gets lit up, that's not unprecedented. Could happen to Sale, Scherzer, etc too.

Our entire offense going weeks at a time where no one can hit is more problematic, IMO.
    Last edited by ChiTownPacerFan; 05-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.

5/14-5/16: First Place Cubs (24-14) vs Reds (18-23) IGT

Because any single pitcher can not have it on any given day. If Lester gets lit up, that's not unprecedented. Could happen to Sale, Scherzer, etc too.

Our entire offense going weeks at a time where no one can hit is more problematic, IMO.
    Thatís crazy. On any given day an offense can face good pitching. Or have bad conditions. Or have bad luck where they make good contact but get bad outcomes. Or bad sequencing where they hit fine but the timing doesnít lead to lots of runs.

All you have to do is look at a game log from any team in the modern history and youíll find stretches where the offense struggled. Thereís nothing unprecedented about offensive slumps just as there is nothing unprecedented about run prevention slumps.

And outside of the 2nd half last year, this Cubs offensive core has never gone ďweeks at a time where no one can hit.Ē Complaints about the offense in the 2nd half of last year are perfectly valid. They were bad. Outside of that they have been one of the best hitting teams in mlb each year since 2015.
    Last edited by CP_414; 05-17-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Thatís crazy. On any given day an offense can face good pitching. Or have bad conditions. Or have bad luck where they make good contact but get bad outcomes. Or bad sequencing where they hit fine but the timing doesnít lead to lots of runs.

All you have to do is look at a game log from any team in the modern history and youíll find stretches where the offense struggled. Thereís nothing unprecedented about offensive slumps just as there is nothing unprecedented about run prevention slumps.

And outside of the 2nd half last year, this Cubs offensive core has never gone ďweeks at a time where no one can hit.Ē
    I see what you're saying, but I disagree. I'll happily die alone on this hill if the Cubs offense is good for the next few years.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. I'll happily die alone on this hill if the Cubs offense is good for the next few years.
    You disagree that every team has stretches where they donít score a lot of runs, or you disagree that the Cubs offense has been one of the best in the league since 2015, outside of that awful 2nd half last year?

Both of those are facts, not opinions. Iím happy to respect your opinion, but not an opinion that is factually wrong. Being good for the next few years has nothing to do with the conversation about how good they have been.

You disagree that every team has stretches where they donít score a lot of runs, or you disagree that the Cubs offense has been one of the best in the league since 2015, outside of that awful 2nd half last year?

Both of those are facts, not opinions. Iím happy to respect your opinion, but not an opinion that is factually wrong. Being good for the next few years has nothing to do with the conversation about how good they have been.
    The Cubs averaged like two runs per game in the 2015 and 2017 NLDS combined. The stretch last year has been well-documented (they were objectively the most feast or famine offense all year), and I believe there were two periods in the summer of 2017 where things got really ugly, IIRC.

I don't think it's factually wrong do say this offense has run hot and cold for like 4 years now. Since they run so hot at times, they've been very good overall, but they have disastrously cold stretches, colder than they should.

The Cubs averaged like two runs per game in the 2015 and 2017 NLDS combined. The stretch last year has been well-documented (they were objectively the most feast or famine offense all year), and I believe there were two periods in the summer of 2017 where things got really ugly, IIRC.

I don't think it's factually wrong do say this offense has run hot and cold for like 4 years now. Since they run so hot at times, they've been very good overall, but they have disastrously cold stretches, colder than they should.
    The 2015 and 2017 NLCS combined were 9 games. Against great teams. In the playoffs. Thatís not ďgoing weeks at a time without any hitting.Ē

There are periods every year where every offense struggles. Itís strange that you realize that pitchers donít pitch the same every game but donít realize that hitters donít hit the same every game.

Outside of the 2nd half of last year, the Cubs are not more feast or famine than most good teams. And even in the 2nd half last year, it wasnít that they were ďfeast or famine,Ē the problem was that they were mostly just ďfamine.Ē

The 2015 and 2017 NLCS combined were 9 games. Against great teams. In the playoffs. Thatís not ďgoing weeks at a time without any hitting.Ē

There are periods every year where every offense struggles. Itís strange that you realize that pitchers donít pitch the same every game but donít realize that hitters donít hit the same every game.

Outside of the 2nd half of last year, the Cubs are not more feast or famine than most good teams. And even in the 2nd half last year, it wasnít that they were ďfeast or famine,Ē the problem was that they were mostly just ďfamine.Ē
    28 times they scored 2 runs or fewer in the first half last year. You're severely underplaying this problem.

28 times they scored 2 runs or fewer in the first half last year. You're severely underplaying this problem.
    Itís meaningless without context.

I remember we looked this up at one point last year (I donít remember if it was 2 runs or less or 1 or less), but prior to 2018 the Cubs did not have those famine games significantly more often than most good teams. If anyone has bb-refís play index you can do a search under game finders, team index and set the criteria to however many runs per game to see how the Cubs compare to other teams each year since 2015. Iím guessing that outside of last year this hasnít been a real problem.

I donít have play index and I canít figure out how to pull that stat up on any other site.

Itís meaningless without context.

I remember we looked this up at one point last year (I donít remember if it was 2 runs or less or 1 or less), but prior to 2018 the Cubs did not have those famine games significantly more often than most good teams. If anyone has bb-refís play index you can do a search under game finders, team index and set the criteria to however many runs per game to see how the Cubs compare to other teams each year since 2015. Iím guessing that outside of last year this hasnít been a real problem.

I donít have play index and I canít figure out how to pull that stat up on any other site.
    It clearly got more blatant last year, and I'm sure the numbers would support that. IMO, the problem has always been there.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435