Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Could You Equate the Magic & Rob relationship to that of Shaq & Kobe ?

We all knew why Shaq & Kobe didn't get along, and that's cuz Shaq took things for granted and didn't stay in shape and didn't work hard enough without someone getting on him while Kobe worked every single damn day for the Lakers to become his team. Finally, yes, Kobe got fatty Shaq traded. Shaq was the guy everyone loved, the bright personality in the room everyone fell for and partying, while Kobe was the serious outcast who everyone thought of as an introverted and ultimately vilified and hated.

Rob is a guy who is of the Kobe mamba mentality cloth, representing the man for the better part of 18 yrs (first 2 yrs I believe was Arn Tellem before Rob inherited Kobe). And he is a guy always giving attention to detail, working tirelessly from what is known about him, and was always the one asking at the Lakers practice facility in El Segundo "Where's Magic?". It could be that Magic, the guy just like Shaq who was loved and adored and lighted a room everytime he entered, didn't take the job seriously enough, didn't give attention to detail, and wasn't always around to help with the day-to-day operations. But Rob is hated and vilified, and Magic is loved for doing minimal work while going on Kimmel and acting like a clown with the wink and other various things in the media. Ultimately, Rob had to sent those emails to Jeanie, which were CC'd to Magic, and that led to his "backstabbing" comment (very much like so when Kobe ratted out Shaq for sleeping with women), and that led to Magic's resignation and the front office becoming Rob's.

I just see a lot of similarities here in personalities and outcome. Magic Johnson is Shaquille O'Neal, and Rob Pelinka is Kobe Bryant.

I get what youíre trying to say. But itís hard to compare when Magic and Pelinka didnít win **** haha. That was an important dynamic of Shaq and Kobe

Magic can basically go kill someone and everyone will forgive him. I felt like he did not commit to his job like he had to. He wanted to be that restaurant owner that just mingles with customers and shakes their hand. Jeannie needed a devoted person and Pelinka is that. You are not Kobeís best friend if you are not a totally dedicated person. How many times we have seen undedicated people in our working environment that we have liked. Doesnít mean we should keep them employed. Itís a pretty good analogy. But one difference is that Shaq and Kobe were alpha personalities and younger. More immature. Magic and Rob are grown men.

Man, Lavar is the anti Rocco in making threads.

Pelinka is a ***** *** mofo!!

After what I heard in the interview with Magic this morning, Magic is a little sandlot cry baby! Dude seriously needs to wake up! He made this whole thing about him and not the Lakers. For me that crossed the line. Especially doing an interview on the day the Lakers introduce their new head coach!. Stay classy Magic!!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-walton-firing

Quote Originally Posted by parr4 View Post
    After what I heard in the interview with Magic this morning, Magic is a little sandlot cry baby! Dude seriously needs to wake up! He made this whole thing about him and not the Lakers. For me that crossed the line. Especially doing an interview on the day the Lakers introduce their new head coach!. Stay classy Magic!!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-walton-firing
    Yea kinda douschy move to drop this bombshell the day that the lakers introduce frank vogel... Todayís laker headlines will be dominated by magic Johnson, not frank vogel. Magic, best pg ever and laker for life, but man he shoulda never been made the lakers president..

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Yea kinda douschy move to drop this bombshell the day that the lakers introduce frank vogel... Todayís laker headlines will be dominated by magic Johnson, not frank vogel. Magic, best pg ever and laker for life, but man he shoulda never been made the lakers president..
    Agree, looks like a little revenge here, we knew something was wrong we just didn't knew the details, I honestly think magic is as guilty as rob on this, if you work hard sometimes it's annoying to see a teammate not working as hard as you do, look at Kobe vs Shaq.

Now I don't care what rob did right or wrong, if he can bring someone relevant to our team good if not GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Agree, looks like a little revenge here, we knew something was wrong we just didn't knew the details, I honestly think magic is as guilty as rob on this, if you work hard sometimes it's annoying to see a teammate not working as hard as you do, look at Kobe vs Shaq.

Now I don't care what rob did right or wrong, if he can bring someone relevant to our team good if not GTFO.
    Yea, Iím starting to believe that magic is more guilty than rob tbh. Rob just wanted magic to put in more work as the lakers president, nothing wrong with wanting the highest executive in the lakers organization to work more. Juryís still out on rob but I think he could be a good gm without magic around to make all the decisions. We will see very soon what he can do.

Your baby can't do this

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb View Post
    Yeah, I've lost alot of respect I had for Magic, after that, felt almost like a attack on the Lakers just to try and make hisself look better!

Frank vogel could do this in todayís press conference and the laker headlines would still be dominated by magic Johnson

Your baby can't do this

It literally just dawned me as I am watching Stephen A run his mouth now. Magic was the President of Basketball Operations. If Pelinka is betraying you, the GM of your organization, then fire him for being insubordinate. Instead you quit on the franchise and now act like a little cry baby in one of the most important summers in Lakers history. F/U Magic!

Magic is a little *****. Good riddance

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Magic is the man. Tell it like it is folks just cant handle the truth. They want to be naive about the situation.
    Last edited by ldawg; 05-20-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parr4 View Post
    It literally just dawned me as I am watching Stephen A run his mouth now. Magic was the President of Basketball Operations. If Pelinka is betraying you, the GM of your organization, then fire him for being insubordinate. Instead you quit on the franchise and now act like a little cry baby in one of the most important summers in Lakers history. F/U Magic!
    Great post. Walking away and bringing it to the media -- knowing what the media could do to a situation like that is the biggest, BIGGEST sign of guilt.

FIRST TAKE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffERoFUVE8M

Stephen A: What the hell happened? Why did you resign from the LAL?

Magic Johnson: Leme thank JB for the opportunity first. When we sat down and negotiated, I told her, "Listen, I can't give up all my businesses. I make more money doing that than becoming the PBO of the Lakers so you know that Imma be in and out.. is that okay wichu? She said, yes."

Say whatever you wanna say about Rob Pelinka. Whatever you wanna say about Jeanie Buss. I'll say this about the Lakers "GOAT".

IT'S CLEAR AS DAY. Man, he knew from the very start that he wouldnt be able to deliver as PBO. HE KNEW. But you could tell that a part of him wanted to be the FACE of the Lakers. I don't believe it's the money. It's the fame and the power. He just couldnt resist it.

Personally, I'll ask any of you in here... he comes out right now saying he made more money through the businesses he had outside of the Lakers org. Would you have signed up and said yes to Jeannie if you were in that same exact position-- making better money elsewhere? That's the biggest BS I've heard from Magic Johnson. Nothing personal and apologies to the fans of this man but he's been exposed.

Extremely unprofessional on his part. I truly expected something better. If Magic truly cared about the Lakers knowing that he wouldn't be able to fully commit to the job on a daily basis -- he simply should've made a referral and signed up merely as an advisor. Instead........

He now feeds everyone a bunch of hearsay and he thinks he can get away with it because he's THEE Magic Johnson. Okay, Jason Kidd comes out and says my wife isn't doing her job as a mother.. would anyone believe him?

And TBH, if I were the Lakers GM -- I would've done the same thing like what Rob did.. It ain't snitching. Use the word snake, backstabber, whatever. What was he gona do? suck up to Magic coz he's Magic and not tell Jeannie Buss about the habitual absenteeism of the PBO?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast