Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Because the fines the Government enacts on companies that break the law is meant to deter further behavior (though we know that's a joke). The lawsuits are for those who were injured/wronged by the illegal behavior to receive compensation for being wronged.
    And the people wronged get all the money? Or even enough to make up for the harm?

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    But what you are suggesting is just that.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think their are corporation cops that come put corporations in jail. It's not like a cop sees a corporation speeding and pulls them over. I am clearly not an expert in the law but I am pretty sure the lawsuits are filed to enforce the regulation... See all these other ones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_settlements

Lastly are you really surprised that one of the most profitable industries, with huge donations and tons of lobbying spending isn't adequately policed?

The pharmaceutical industry breaks the law... negligently KILLS people, then pays a nominal fee. Until we bankrupt a few and put a few people behind bars for a long time that will not change.
    Laws generally come with enforcement. If the penalty isn't big enough to change the behavior increase the penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    And the people wronged get all the money? Or even enough to make up for the harm?
    All the money? No. The Attorney's fighting on their behalf get money too, I mean they are working. Someone is paying them for a service. I'd no more expect the Attorney's to get $0 than I'd expect a sports agent to get $0 for negotiating a star players contract.

As for whether those Attorney's are paid too much, probably. But lawyers in general are paid a lot. As for whether it makes up for the harm, that's the Juries job to decide what constitutes fair recompense. It's almost impossible to determine what is fair. I mean, families had people die. How much is a life worth? I don't know, but my general sense is the Big Pharma companies aren't paying enough.

If a single person did what Big Pharma did in regards to lying to people about the harmful effects of Opioids, they'd be in jail for a long time. Instead, the companies profits are in the billions. Clearly the system isn't fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Laws generally come with enforcement. If the penalty isn't big enough to change the behavior increase the penalty.
    Suppose we did that. Are you saying that we should get rid of the lawsuit portion? What do we do about people wronged by the corporate malfeasance? Are they just SOL?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Suppose we did that. Are you saying that we should get rid of the lawsuit portion? What do we do about people wronged by the corporate malfeasance? Are they just SOL?
    No, but that is a civil matter. This is a case where the STATE is suing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12