Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 offseason

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    As much time as Capela has missed in recent years and as old as Chandler is, I just think they could use more quality big men on the team. Part it maybe depends on where you think Hartenstein is in terms of his ability to contribute. I think he COULD feasibly make the leap to being a regular contributor this season, but I wouldn't mind if they hedged their bets a little bit and added a guy like Faried anyway on a team-friendly (probably veteran minimum) contract.

Also, I don't necessarily think it's totally impossible that Faried could get minutes at the 4. It's not happening a lot, obviously, but against certain lineups it could work. And he extended his jumper a bit last season to where he's at least someone teams don't want to leave completely wide open outside of 18 feet. Again, though, I'm not seeing Faried as this huge acquisition who gets a lot of money, but as a low risk guy who could get minutes based on injuries and matchups.

The bigger need is obviously still one more quality 3 and D guy and (ideally) maybe a legitimate starting SF so that Gordon could come off the bench. Maybe Morey and D'Antoni think House makes a leap and becomes that guy this season, but if so he's got to be a hell of a lot better and more reliable than he was in the playoffs.
    I mean, I wouldn't mind having him back, but I wouldn't want him to be part of the rotation, when everybody's healthy. He's an awful fit defensively and was unplayable in the Playoffs. And on offense, even with his improved jumper, I don't think you want him taking three-pointers. He's the guy teams will leave open.

There aren't many available big men left in the market, so it's him or rolling with Chandler, Hartenstein and probably Deyonta Davis and/or Johnathan Williams on minimum or two-way deals. I'd actually rather have Nene back on a minimum deal.

Quote Originally Posted by arnchise View Post
    I haven’t seen anything from Hartenstein to give me any confidence that he is going to amount to anything. To me he is nothing more than another Kyle Wiltjer. As for Chandler, he is handy depth but shouldn’t be seeing major minutes. He struggled last year with the lakers. I don’t even think he is an upgrade on Nene. The Rockets need to re-sign Faried or kick the wheels of Zeller.
    What makes you think he struggled last season? His advanced numbers, especially on defense, suggest otherwise. Pretty much on par with the his career numbers. And he's always been very durable, something Nene is not.

And Hartenstein is still very young, but he's big, athletic and can shoot. He was a monster in the D-League last year and in summer league before getting hurt.

And PJ will play a lot of small ball 5 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yes. It could happen one of two ways from my understanding:

1. The Rockets sign and trade Shumpert (likely with some picks and non-guaranteed guys) for Iggy.
    2. Iggy gets bought out and signs with Houston, either through a veteran minimum deal, the remaining piece of the team's MLE or the BAE (which I think they still have).

I wouldn't hold my breath, though, at this point. Trading for Iggy means taking on a ton of additional cap space and increasing the tax bill that Tilman isn't going to want to pay. And if he gets bought out, my money is still on him joining one fo the LA teams. I'm still holding out hope, but I don't love the Rockets chances at this point.
    Pretty much.

At a $17M figure, I highly doubt the Rockets trade for Iguodala. After they couldn't expand the CP3-Westbrook swap, I think any trade for a wing is doubtful at this point.

I'm thinking Sefolosha or JR Smith on a minimum deal. Maybe Lance Thomas. And I wouldn't rule out re-signing Shumpert as 5th guard/4th wing on the roster.

Rockets signing Ben McLemore to a 2-year vet minimum deal. Only $50k guaranteed. $300 if he makes the roster. $0 guaranteed in 2020-21. Pretty much a expensive, $50k camp invite.

Since 2016-17, he's shot 37% from three, and 41% last season, but in only 19 games.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Rockets signing Ben McLemore to a 2-year vet minimum deal. Only $50k guaranteed. $300 if he makes the roster. $0 guaranteed in 2020-21. Pretty much a expensive, $50k camp invite.

Since 2016-17, he's shot 37% from three, and 41% last season, but in only 19 games.
    Good low-risk, moderate reward deal. If the guy can shoot, there's always a chance the Rockets could use him. But I'd still really like to see them add a quality 3 and D wing before the season starts.

Looks like the Rockets will be bringing back Terrence Jones, at least for training camp. And according to clutchfans sources, they are not looking to add any FA left in the market and will focus on guys already on the team for training camp and possibly a Shumpert sign and trade to fill out the roster.

How you guys feel about these Kevin Love rumors.

I hate to lose PJ Tucker in the deal the most.

Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    How you guys feel about these Kevin Love rumors.

I hate to lose PJ Tucker in the deal the most.
    I hate it. Our defense is already taking a hit and to bring in Love and lose PJ and EG seems like a step backwards to me.

I actually haven't seen anything about the Rockets trading for Kevin Love. Although that wouldn't be the first time seeing such rumors. Any move would have to include Capela, who I wouldn't consider trading, or Tucker and Gordon, who would have very little value to Cleveland. I doubt anything happens.

I'd be very much fine with dealing Gordon at some point, though. If the right deal comes along, of course.

Morey is definitely infatuated with Love. I haven’t heard anything either, but it wouldn’t shock me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    I actually haven't seen anything about the Rockets trading for Kevin Love. Although that wouldn't be the first time seeing such rumors. Any move would have to include Capela, who I wouldn't consider trading, or Tucker and Gordon, who would have very little value to Cleveland. I doubt anything happens.

I'd be very much fine with dealing Gordon at some point, though. If the right deal comes along, of course.
    The problem with swapping Capela for Love is I'm not sure how you replace Capela's defense at the 5. Sure, Love can rebound, but he'll get killed in the Rockets switch-happy defense. Also, the dude's got to stay healthy, and he hasn't proven lately that he can. And his contract is huge and a little terrifying given his injury history.

So they'd essentially have to move two of their four best players (Gordon and Capela) for a pretty huge question mark playing on a massive contract. I just don't think it's worth it. If it was earlier in the offseason where they could have still added a legitimate defensive 5 capable of playing bigger minutes (I love Tyson, but he's not that guy anymore) then I might feel differently. But I kind of think this core of guys is who they're going into the season with. And if they do make a deal mid-season, I'd be a little surprised if it was for Love unless the guy just surprises us all and reverts to his days as a star with the Wolves.

We playing fantasy this year? I'm interested.

I'm sure we will.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

4 year extension for Gordon. Can’t be traded for 6 months and that’ll be after the trade deadline so I doubt that there’ll be much activity in the regard till next year at the earliest.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/08/...post-id=137978

Is Hartenstein and Clark ready to step up? Is Faried not coming back? Is Nené retiring? Why would he turn down $3 millionish to sign for less here or elsewhere? Do the Rockets still need a wing? Or another PF?

Love the move to resign EG. with Westbrook and harden, driving and kicking to open, knockdown shooters will be paramount. This was good. Now resign faried, sign and trade or resign shumpert, and extend tuck and this can all be good signs of things to come. EG and Russ hopefully can develop a great chemistry to run things when harden takes a break

Yeah, I also love the Gordon extension. It's pretty much a 3-year, $54.5M deal, with the 4th year fully non-guaranteed unless he makes an All-Star team, or if the Rockets win a championship. With a very thin FA class next year, especially for wings, Gordon could've definitely gotten bigger offers elsewhere, and the Rockets would be limited to the taxpayer MLE to replace his production. This was a no-brainer for the Rockets, IMO.

With that said, it seems pretty clear the Rockets will try to duck the luxury tax this season (again), and avoid the repeater taxpayer penalties for teh duration of Westbrook's contract. They're only about $3M below the tax line, with only 13 players under contract (they need 14). With very limited trade options (no Gordon), I'm guessing the most we could hope for is a nice buyout vet, either before the season (Iguodala), or after the deadline.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Regarding fantasy basketball, yes, I'm definitely interested in playing again. I'll renew the league and send invites for you guys to join, as soon as possible. We could also start talking about a draft date that works for most.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast