Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 offseason

At this point is Andre Igoudala to the Rockets realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/09/...post-id=139877

Ryan Anderson comin’ back, it looks like.
    Wow, that's very surprising. The Rockets just signed Jaron Blossomgame to a training camp deal as their 20th summer player a couple of days ago. Someone will have to be cut early to make room for Anderson.

The partially guaranteed contract basically means he'll get a roster spot, and it leaves the Rockets with 14 players with at least 50% of their contracts guaranteed. And that does not count McLemore or Bennett.

Considering how little flexibility they'll have, I doubt the Rockets enter the season with more than 14 guys with guaranteed deals, which means the roster (minus the 2 two-way spots) is pretty much set, a week before media day.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    At this point is Andre Igoudala to the Rockets realistic?
    Very unlikely. The Grizzlies seem determined to trade him, and even if they can't and waive him, the additions of Sefolosha and Anderson make me think that the Rockets got a signal from his camp that he's looking to sign elsewhere.

that sucks. i really feel he coulda been that missing piece! I even bought his book once i heard he could pontentially sign in Houston! hahah

that sucks. i really feel he coulda been that missing piece! I even bought his book once i heard he could pontentially sign in Houston! hahah
    ahahahahahah! you are my new "hero of the week"!

The Ryno signing is super interesting. It seems odd at first because he was such a train wreck at times in Houston, but that's a solid high-reward, low-risk signing. It's very different when you're giving a guy $20 million versus giving him the veteran minimum.

But it does kind of beg the question: What the hell is this team going to look like on opening day? We know for a fact that the following guys will almost certainly be on the opening day roster:

James Harden
    Russell Westbrook
    Eric Gordon
    Clint Capela
    PJ Tucker
    Danuel House
    Austin Rivers
    Gerald Green
    Tyson Chandler

But outside of them, we're now looking at:

Nene
    Thabo Sefolosha
    Ryan Anderson
    Gary Clark
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Ben McLemore
    Anthony Bennett
    Shamorie Ponds
    Michael Frazier
    Chris Clemons
    William McDowell-White
    Vincent Edwards
    Jaron Blossomgame (Who is this guy? His name sounds super made up...)

Throw in Arron Afflalo and a few other guys I'm probably missing who participated in mini-camps, and we're looking at like 23-25 guys, at least a handful of which will not end up on this team or on the G-League roster. I'm all for competition determining roster spots and playing time, but it does feel a little crazy right now.

Could a consolidation trade be coming? Or is this just Morey and D'Antoni trying to get the best 13-15 guys they possibly can for opening day? And of all the players they've signed and looked at this summer, who's going to end up on the outside looking in by the start of the regular season?

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    The Ryno signing is super interesting. It seems odd at first because he was such a train wreck at times in Houston, but that's a solid high-reward, low-risk signing. It's very different when you're giving a guy $20 million versus giving him the veteran minimum.

But it does kind of beg the question: What the hell is this team going to look like on opening day? We know for a fact that the following guys will almost certainly be on the opening day roster:

James Harden
    Russell Westbrook
    Eric Gordon
    Clint Capela
    PJ Tucker
    Danuel House
    Austin Rivers
    Gerald Green
    Tyson Chandler

But outside of them, we're now looking at:

Nene
    Thabo Sefolosha
    Ryan Anderson
    Gary Clark
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Ben McLemore
    Anthony Bennett
    Shamorie Ponds
    Michael Frazier
    Chris Clemons
    William McDowell-White
    Vincent Edwards
    Jaron Blossomgame (Who is this guy? His name sounds super made up...)

Throw in Arron Afflalo and a few other guys I'm probably missing who participated in mini-camps, and we're looking at like 23-25 guys, at least a handful of which will not end up on this team or on the G-League roster. I'm all for competition determining roster spots and playing time, but it does feel a little crazy right now.

Could a consolidation trade be coming? Or is this just Morey and D'Antoni trying to get the best 13-15 guys they possibly can for opening day? And of all the players they've signed and looked at this summer, who's going to end up on the outside looking in by the start of the regular season?
    The 20-man training camp roster is set at 20. The mini camp had nothing to do with the Rockets schedule. They could still sign Afflalo, but it looks like they opted for Sefolosha and Anderson. McDowell-White and Edwards have already been let go.

The 14 players with a guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract are all but assured to make the 15-man roster. That includes Sefolosha (full), Anderson ($250k), Clark and Hartenstein ($708k each) and Nene (full) on top of the 9 you listed that are sure to make the team. I'd be very surprised if any of these 14 players don't make the roster.

That leaves just McLemore ($50k guaranteed) and Bennett ($0k guaranteed) realistically fighting for the final 15th spot, if, of course, the Rockets opt to go with 15 and not just 14 players, which could be a factor for luxury tax purposes. And the four kids, Ponds, Clemons, Blossomgame and Frazier fighting for the 2 two-way spots.

And a trade is highly unlikely to happen. Gordon can't be traded this season and guys like Nene, House, Rivers and any other they signed this offseason can't until mid-season. They could make a minor deal dumping Clark or Hartenstein to maybe keep both McLemore and Bennett, or a free agent, but I doubt that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    The 20-man training camp roster is set at 20. The mini camp had nothing to do with the Rockets schedule. They could still sign Afflalo, but it looks like they opted for Sefolosha and Anderson. McDowell-White and Edwards have already been let go.

The 14 players with a guaranteed or partially guaranteed contract are all but assured to make the 15-man roster. That includes Sefolosha (full), Anderson ($250k), Clark and Hartenstein ($708k each) and Nene (full) on top of the 9 you listed that are sure to make the team. I'd be very surprised if any of these 14 players don't make the roster.

That leaves just McLemore ($50k guaranteed) and Bennett ($0k guaranteed) realistically fighting for the final 15th spot, if, of course, the Rockets opt to go with 15 and not just 14 players, which could be a factor for luxury tax purposes. And the four kids, Ponds, Clemons, Blossomgame and Frazier fighting for the 2 two-way spots.

And a trade is highly unlikely to happen. Gordon can't be traded this season and guys like Nene, House, Rivers and any other they signed this offseason can't until mid-season. They could make a minor deal dumping Clark or Hartenstein to maybe keep both McLemore and Bennett, or a free agent, but I doubt that happens.
    OK, I didn't know that McDowell-White and Edwards were let go, but my point remains—there are a LOT of decent basketball players on this roster currently. Even if they are at that expected 20-player mark, a lot of those guys are veterans who you'd normally see getting playing time as the 9th or 10th best player on most teams. In Houston, some of those guys are the 13th or 14th best players, so someone isn't going to be getting playing time or might be cut altogether.

If you try to make a 13-man active roster to suit up on opening day, what could that look like? Here's my attempt based on experience level and where the holes are:

PG Russell Westbrook / Austin Rivers
    SG James Harden / Thabo Sefolosha / Gerald Green
    SF Eric Gordon / Danuel House
    PF PJ Tucker / Ryan Anderson / Gary Clark
    C Clint Capela / Tyson Chandler / Anthony Bennett

That's assuming Nene is out at the start of the season, which sounds like a real possibility. But in this scenario, McLemore isn't on the roster, Hartenstein is out and all of the young guys (including Clemons) are out, too. But what happens if someone like Clemons or Ponds just completely lights it up in training camp and preseason? And who doesn't make the cut when Nene gets back to full strength?

I actually think this is a good problem to have. I'd much rather them have 15-16 competent NBA rotational players and have someone get cut then them having 8-9 competent rotational players and someone getting minutes who shouldn't be getting minutes (a problem in the past). But I think how the roster shapes up on opening day is still an interesting story to follow with this team.

any update fantasy? We'd have this weekend, and/or next weekend, if we wanna draft before tip off. 10/22

Anthony Bennett is out. It looks like he was waived this morning. That makes the roster a little easier to see shaping up. McLemore has a much better chance to make it, but he hasn't been great the last two preseason games in Japan. He did hit a huge 3-pointer late in that game this morning, though, but it was a pretty atrocious shot selection at the time.

I honestly would be a little surprised if Clemons doesn't make the team. He's played well overall, and D'Antoni has given him a ton of minutes to showcase himself. Sefolosha looked solid in the first Raptors game from what I saw, and House looked pretty good today, albeit mostly against scrubs in garbage time. I thought Chandler also played well. Ryno, meanwhile, just doesn't look like an NBA player. I'd love the narrative if Ryno found his game and came back to be a rotational piece in Houston. But I just don't trust him to get legitimate NBA minutes on a contending team right now.

Gun to my head if I went with the 13 best guys I've seen so far this preseason:
    PG Russell Westbrook / Austin Rivers / Chris Clemons
    SG James Harden / Gerald Green / Ben McLemore
    SF Eric Gordon / Danuel House / Thabo Sefolosha
    PF PJ Tucker / Isaiah Hartenstein
    C Clint Capela / Tyson Chandler

The problem with this scenario is that Houston ends up being way too guard heavy and has zero depth in the front court. I'm not even sure Hartenstein can even play the 4 in this offense. You'd love to see Clark, Ryno or Blossomgame step up, but I've been seriously unimpressed by all 3. My guess is that Ryno will still make the team, but I definitely won't feel good about it.

any update fantasy? We'd have this weekend, and/or next weekend, if we wanna draft before tip off. 10/22
    I think Sundays work for most people. Stros said he won't be available on the 13th, so how about Sunday, Oct. 20? That way we can have a better sense of rosters, injuries and that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Anthony Bennett is out. It looks like he was waived this morning. That makes the roster a little easier to see shaping up. McLemore has a much better chance to make it, but he hasn't been great the last two preseason games in Japan. He did hit a huge 3-pointer late in that game this morning, though, but it was a pretty atrocious shot selection at the time.

I honestly would be a little surprised if Clemons doesn't make the team. He's played well overall, and D'Antoni has given him a ton of minutes to showcase himself. Sefolosha looked solid in the first Raptors game from what I saw, and House looked pretty good today, albeit mostly against scrubs in garbage time. I thought Chandler also played well. Ryno, meanwhile, just doesn't look like an NBA player. I'd love the narrative if Ryno found his game and came back to be a rotational piece in Houston. But I just don't trust him to get legitimate NBA minutes on a contending team right now.

Gun to my head if I went with the 13 best guys I've seen so far this preseason:
    PG Russell Westbrook / Austin Rivers / Chris Clemons
    SG James Harden / Gerald Green / Ben McLemore
    SF Eric Gordon / Danuel House / Thabo Sefolosha
    PF PJ Tucker / Isaiah Hartenstein
    C Clint Capela / Tyson Chandler

The problem with this scenario is that Houston ends up being way too guard heavy and has zero depth in the front court. I'm not even sure Hartenstein can even play the 4 in this offense. You'd love to see Clark, Ryno or Blossomgame step up, but I've been seriously unimpressed by all 3. My guess is that Ryno will still make the team, but I definitely won't feel good about it.
    But it's a 15-man roster, with 2 two-way roster spots. Where does the number 13 come from?

You're forgetting Nene, who's pretty certain to make the roster with a $2.4M guaranteed salary. Clark is pretty much a lock, too. Ryno has $250k guaranteed. And if they do go with 15 guys, McLemore has a clear advantage because of the $50k guaranteed.

Two of Clemons, Ponds, Frazier and Blossomgame will probably take the 2 two-way spots. It's possible they opt to keep 3 of those 4 (2 on two-way deals and 1 on a standard contract) instead of McLemore or Ryno, but that seems highly unlikely. One injury to Gordon or Green and they would really need a guy like McLemore and I don't see the Rockets waiving Ryno and taking the $250k cap hit this early.

Sunday 10/20 it is!

What time? Last year we started at 9 PM CST. That's 10 PM ET, 7 PM PT, 4 AM in Italy and 1 PM on Monday in Melbourne. Does that work for everyone?

What time? Last year we started at 9 PM CST. That's 10 PM ET, 7 PM PT, 4 AM in Italy and 1 PM on Monday in Melbourne. Does that work for everyone?
    That works for me

Works for me, too

I think Sundays work for most people. Stros said he won't be available on the 13th, so how about Sunday, Oct. 20? That way we can have a better sense of rosters, injuries and that kind of stuff.

But it's a 15-man roster, with 2 two-way roster spots. Where does the number 13 come from?

You're forgetting Nene, who's pretty certain to make the roster with a $2.4M guaranteed salary. Clark is pretty much a lock, too. Ryno has $250k guaranteed. And if they do go with 15 guys, McLemore has a clear advantage because of the $50k guaranteed.

Two of Clemons, Ponds, Frazier and Blossomgame will probably take the 2 two-way spots. It's possible they opt to keep 3 of those 4 (2 on two-way deals and 1 on a standard contract) instead of McLemore or Ryno, but that seems highly unlikely. One injury to Gordon or Green and they would really need a guy like McLemore and I don't see the Rockets waiving Ryno and taking the $250k cap hit this early.
    An active game-day roster is 13 guys. I'm assuming Nene starts the season banged up and on the inactive list. I'm also not factoring in the two-way roster spots. I'm aware a full roster is 15 players, but I'm just narrowing down what makes sense from an active 13-man roster on opening night.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast