Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2019 offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    ^^^Looks like Morey’s scheming. Wonder if Hartenstein got anything for it. When JR Smith pushed his date back a bit, it added an extra $500k to his buyout or something.
    Probably not. JR got more money guaranteed for it, but he's pretty much a lock to be waived, if he isn't traded. Hartenstein already has half of his salary guaranteed, but he's pretty much a lock to actually make the roster, as the Rockets have plenty of room and a need for a third center. It doesn't look like he'll end up making more money by doing this.

Unless I'm missing something, I'm guessing the only thing he gets is being dealt to a rebuilding team, like Memphis, where he should have a bigger chance to actually see the floor.

The fact that the Westbrook deal hasn't been finalized, none of the Rockets signings have been finalized and Hartenstein's guarantee date has been pushed back certainly makes me think that Morey is working on expanding the Westbrook deal and/or making other moves to add to the roster. I've got to think he's still targeting Iggy and/or Covington. Adding either won would be a huge addition, but I'd obviously prefer Covington if I had a choice.

The trade and the signings of House and Rivers were finally made official last night. I'm guessing Morey tried to make a deal but ultimately couldn't get anything done. Maybe they're counting on Memphis buying Iguodala out, or maybe the asking price was too high (that could also be the case for guys like Covington and Crowder), or maybe, Feritta wasn't willing to add Iggy's $17M salary and face the tax penalties, which would be concerning. Or maybe they like JR Smith, who got waived yesterday. We've seen reports linking the Rockets to JR before.

Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    The trade and the signings of House and Rivers were finally made official last night. I'm guessing Morey tried to make a deal but ultimately couldn't get anything done. Maybe they're counting on Memphis buying Iguodala out, or maybe the asking price was too high (that could also be the case for guys like Covington and Crowder), or maybe, Feritta wasn't willing to add Iggy's $17M salary and face the tax penalties, which would be concerning. Or maybe they like JR Smith, who got waived yesterday. We've seen reports linking the Rockets to JR before.
    Yeah, it's really hard to gauge what happened there, but I want to believe that Tilman was willing to pay the penalties. If he wasn't, then why wouldn't this deal and the other signings been approved earlier? I hope that it was just that Morey couldn't get a deal done based around the Westbrook trade, but it could just be wishful thinking.

All that being said, there are still guys out there the Rockets could add to help fill out the rotation. I don't love the guy but JR Smith for 20 minutes a game wouldn't be horrible—the guy's been an excellent 3-point shooter historically in his career. I feel the same way about Sefolosha, Vince Carter and Justin Holiday. Korver could certainly play a role as well, although not so much on the defensive end.

I'm still holding out hope for an Iggy buyout and signing or a Shumpert sign and trade deal for a quality starting SF, but both of those are starting to feel less and less likely. If all else fails, though, and the Rockets just need to add quality guys to the rotation, I still think Manimal played really well when given minutes last season and could play a role here.

I would certainly welcome Faried back. I'm surprised there hasn't been a market for him.

I feel the opposite. Assuming they're expecting Chandler to play a full backup role and not miss many games (like Nene), I don't think there's much room for Faried on the team. I'd much rather have any backup minutes at the 5 to go to Chandler, Tucker or even Hartenstein. And with the CP3-Westbrook trade and the Rockets basically swapping shooting for driving, there goes any possibility of the Rockets going big with a non-shooting big man at the 4.

I'm not sure why the Rockets didn't take Patterson from the Thunder. They could've gotten him for free, probably. It would save the Thunder about $5M and he'd be a great fit in Houston.

One thought that just occurred to me about Tillman and the luxury tax: last year, the Rockets tried hard to duck the luxury tax because of the repeater tax penalties they'd face in the last year of Paul's contract, when they'd have a hard time staying under the tax threshold because of Paul's and Harden's contracts. Westbrook's deal runs one year longer than Paul's, so it's possible they'll look to avoid the tax penalties this season again, so they won't have to be a repeater taxpayer in the last year of Westbrook's deal.

As of now, they could only fill out the 15-man roster with minimum guys. No big MLE or BAE deal, and no trade with more salary coming in than going out.

Does anyone know why the Tyson Chandler deal hasnt been made official yet?

I feel the opposite. Assuming they're expecting Chandler to play a full backup role and not miss many games (like Nene), I don't think there's much room for Faried on the team. I'd much rather have any backup minutes at the 5 to go to Chandler, Tucker or even Hartenstein. And with the CP3-Westbrook trade and the Rockets basically swapping shooting for driving, there goes any possibility of the Rockets going big with a non-shooting big man at the 4.

I'm not sure why the Rockets didn't take Patterson from the Thunder. They could've gotten him for free, probably. It would save the Thunder about $5M and he'd be a great fit in Houston.
    As much time as Capela has missed in recent years and as old as Chandler is, I just think they could use more quality big men on the team. Part it maybe depends on where you think Hartenstein is in terms of his ability to contribute. I think he COULD feasibly make the leap to being a regular contributor this season, but I wouldn't mind if they hedged their bets a little bit and added a guy like Faried anyway on a team-friendly (probably veteran minimum) contract.

Also, I don't necessarily think it's totally impossible that Faried could get minutes at the 4. It's not happening a lot, obviously, but against certain lineups it could work. And he extended his jumper a bit last season to where he's at least someone teams don't want to leave completely wide open outside of 18 feet. Again, though, I'm not seeing Faried as this huge acquisition who gets a lot of money, but as a low risk guy who could get minutes based on injuries and matchups.

The bigger need is obviously still one more quality 3 and D guy and (ideally) maybe a legitimate starting SF so that Gordon could come off the bench. Maybe Morey and D'Antoni think House makes a leap and becomes that guy this season, but if so he's got to be a hell of a lot better and more reliable than he was in the playoffs.

One thought that just occurred to me about Tillman and the luxury tax: last year, the Rockets tried hard to duck the luxury tax because of the repeater tax penalties they'd face in the last year of Paul's contract, when they'd have a hard time staying under the tax threshold because of Paul's and Harden's contracts. Westbrook's deal runs one year longer than Paul's, so it's possible they'll look to avoid the tax penalties this season again, so they won't have to be a repeater taxpayer in the last year of Westbrook's deal.

As of now, they could only fill out the 15-man roster with minimum guys. No big MLE or BAE deal, and no trade with more salary coming in than going out.
    This is a really good point. I'm still clinging to the hope that Tilman will pay for a legitimate 3 and D guy if one becomes available or would be willing to pay for a larger trade if another star become available via trade. But all signs keep pointing to him being a little on the cheap side.

If all they do, though, is add more veteran minimum guys, I do think there are a few out there would could still help them and get regular minutes in the rotation. But I really hope they don't go into the season without adding one more quality wing player.

I don't see Tillman paying. There hasn't been any indication that he's willing to.

I'd rather House start over Gordon. With Harden and Westbrook on the floor to start the game, no need to have Gordon out there. I'd rather House play alongside those two and get open looks. Gordon can run the second unit with Russ and crush the competition.

I haven’t seen anything from Hartenstein to give me any confidence that he is going to amount to anything. To me he is nothing more than another Kyle Wiltjer. As for Chandler, he is handy depth but shouldn’t be seeing major minutes. He struggled last year with the lakers. I don’t even think he is an upgrade on Nene. The Rockets need to re-sign Faried or kick the wheels of Zeller.

Chandler were made official last night.

Is signing Iguodala still an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I don't see Tillman paying. There hasn't been any indication that he's willing to.

I'd rather House start over Gordon. With Harden and Westbrook on the floor to start the game, no need to have Gordon out there. I'd rather House play alongside those two and get open looks. Gordon can run the second unit with Russ and crush the competition.
    Agreed, but I still think they need a veteran 3 and D guy to fill out that rotation. I really like House and I think he was worth this contract, but I also saw him struggle at times and that lack of consistency in the playoffs was concerning. If he can't be consistent, the Rockets need to have a Plan B on the roster who can be or they need to sign one mid-season.

But, for me, Gordon coming off the bench is always the best option. He destroys second units, and his energy is infectious off the bench. I don't mind him closing games with Harden and Westbrook on the floor, but generally I think a longer lineup with a true 3 on the floor is better suited to start games and play with the first unit.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Chandler were made official last night.

Is signing Iguodala still an option?
    Yes. It could happen one of two ways from my understanding:

1. The Rockets sign and trade Shumpert (likely with some picks and non-guaranteed guys) for Iggy.
    2. Iggy gets bought out and signs with Houston, either through a veteran minimum deal, the remaining piece of the team's MLE or the BAE (which I think they still have).

I wouldn't hold my breath, though, at this point. Trading for Iggy means taking on a ton of additional cap space and increasing the tax bill that Tilman isn't going to want to pay. And if he gets bought out, my money is still on him joining one fo the LA teams. I'm still holding out hope, but I don't love the Rockets chances at this point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast