Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 113
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    LOL - so you agree this is a championship roster

    Cool

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    LOL - so you agree this is a championship roster

    Cool
    No I don't agree that this is a championship roster show me where I said that. So it's fair to assume you think this is a championship roster? I think this is a title contender that will ultimately not win it.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    No I don't agree that this is a championship roster show me where I said that. So it's fair to assume you think this is a championship roster? I think this is a title contender that will ultimately not win it.


    A “championship roster” is one that will compete for a championship not one that will inevitably win it... so, yes, you agree that this is a championship roster.

    It’s very easy to say a team is a contender that will not win a championship - when you take that position the probabilities are always on your side...

    Thanks for you “contribution”
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

    - Carl Sagan


  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    LOL - so you agree this is a championship roster

    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post


    A “championship roster” is one that will compete for a championship not one that will inevitably win it... so, yes, you agree that this is a championship roster.

    It’s very easy to say a team is a contender that will not win a championship - when you take that position the probabilities are always on your side...

    Thanks for you “contribution”
    Where did you get that definition from? The same place that taught you to use grammar like "you contribution". One would think a championship roster would win the championship, I don't think I've ever seen that phrase or a similar term "championship team" for a team that did not win the championship.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Where did you get that definition from? The same place that taught you to use grammar like "you contribution". One would think a championship roster would win the championship, I don't think I've ever seen that phrase or a similar term "championship team" for a team that did not win the championship.
    desperate enough to hinge the quality of your argument on an insignificant typo in mine?

    If you’ve never heard pundits at the beginning of the year debate whether a team has a “championship roster” before they’ve won a championship, then maybe you’re out of your league.

    Run along, champ

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    LOL - so you agree this is a championship roster

    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    desperate enough to hinge the quality of your argument on an insignificant typo in mine?

    If you’ve never heard pundits at the beginning of the year debate whether a team has a “championship roster” before they’ve won a championship, then maybe you’re out of your league.

    Run along, champ
    If it's a well known term you should be able to show me a reference with said definition in it. Move along kid.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    If you’re trying to impress Digglin by coming to his defense so hard, you should know this; we disagree on the FO, but we have a mutual respect for each other... so I doubt he’s going to come to your aid other than to join our original debate.

    If you’re trying to impress other posters with your defiant stance on the term “championship roster”, you’re only digging a deeper hole. I’m pretty sure most everyone has heard the term and I’ve NEVER heard it used in retrospect.

    Lastly, instead of hanging your hat on typos and nuance, maybe you should stick to the topic.

    In fact, let’s remove nuance from the conversation and eliminate the term “championship roster”.

    You admitted to agreeing that this team will compete for a championship, even if you don’t think they’ll win one.

    Case closed.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,786
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    If you’re trying to impress Digglin by coming to his defense so hard, you should know this; we disagree on the FO, but we have a mutual respect for each other... so I doubt he’s going to come to your aid other than to join our original debate.

    If you’re trying to impress other posters with your defiant stance on the term “championship roster”, you’re only digging a deeper hole. I’m pretty sure most everyone has heard the term and I’ve NEVER heard it used in retrospect.

    Lastly, instead of hanging your hat on typos and nuance, maybe you should stick to the topic.

    In fact, let’s remove nuance from the conversation and eliminate the term “championship roster”.

    You admitted to agreeing that this team will compete for a championship, even if you don’t think they’ll win one.

    Case closed.
    The mutual respect died along with me when Rutger Hauer passed away... just kidding... lol Except I do mourne the passing of Mr. Hauer.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,786
    To be honest I would have reworded my original statement if I remembered it was GIMH that wanted the shoutout to the FO.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    The mutual respect died along with me when Rutger Hauer passed away... just kidding... lol Except I do mourne the passing of Mr. Hauer.
    “All those moments lost in time, like tears in the rain”

    Fair winds and following seas, Mr Hauer

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglinDickers View Post
    To be honest I would have reworded my original statement if I remembered it was GIMH that wanted the shoutout to the FO.
    My dude!

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    13,929
    Between 1989 and 2003, we only made the postseason twice and didn't win a single postseason game.

    But from 2004 to 2018 (same length of time as above) we've been to the postseason 10 times, but have fallen short of a World Championship each time.

    So it's easy to see why a lot of people are impatient. Simply making the postseason isn't enough anymore. We expect to be in the World Series often and to win one eventually.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    Between 1989 and 2003, we only made the postseason twice and didn't win a single postseason game.

    But from 2004 to 2018 (same length of time as above) we've been to the postseason 10 times, but have fallen short of a World Championship each time.

    So it's easy to see why a lot of people are impatient. Simply making the postseason isn't enough anymore. We expect to be in the World Series often and to win one eventually.
    I think you and I tend to agree on a lot of things. This is no different.

    I expect championshipS. Hell, I’m thoroughly disappointed that they didn’t make a significant move at the deadline.

    But I also don’t want to sell a prospect like Lux in addition to a guy like Ruiz for a guy that’s going to throw one excellent inning of relief every couple of days.

    My only point is that this team is competing and they’re in just as good a position to win the WS as anyone else this year while also being in a great position to win more for the foreseeable future.

    That’s what I want - sustainability. A team that not only wins one, but is capable of winning multiple championships for a long time.

    It might not lead to the most exciting of trade deadlines in some cases but, in that regard, sometimes uneventful deadlines are what’s best for the team
    "There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

    - Carl Sagan


  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post
    If you’re trying to impress Digglin by coming to his defense so hard, you should know this; we disagree on the FO, but we have a mutual respect for each other... so I doubt he’s going to come to your aid other than to join our original debate.

    If you’re trying to impress other posters with your defiant stance on the term “championship roster”, you’re only digging a deeper hole. I’m pretty sure most everyone has heard the term and I’ve NEVER heard it used in retrospect.
    Than show me where the definition is, if it is such a common phrase you should be able to find support for such a well known term, here I'll even Google it for you (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=championship%2...ball%2Bmeaning) since you can't, let me suggest you got the term out of your ***.

    Quote Originally Posted by GibbyIsMyHero View Post

    Lastly, instead of hanging your hat on typos and nuance, maybe you should stick to the topic.

    In fact, let’s remove nuance from the conversation and eliminate the term “championship roster”.

    You admitted to agreeing that this team will compete for a championship, even if you don’t think they’ll win one.

    Case closed.
    Ok lets do that now, yes as we sit here now the Astros are the favorite to win the World Series at 2/1 with the Dodgers at 3/1. You're probably just fine having the Astros party on our field celebrating but as shocking as it seems I wasn't too happy about it, the last time and wasn't happy when the Red Sox did it either. I don't think other Dodger fans are that thrilled about being World Series runner ups either.

    I just dont see this team winning it all with Kershaw throwing batting practice in the playoffs and a shaky bullpen and hitting that gets so cold it couldn't hit Peacock throwing 46 straight fastballs.

    We didn't do jack **** in free agency, didn't do jack **** at the deadline, this front office just doesn't want it bad enough. Kershaw is getting up there in age Hill is already ancient, Jansen has declined, this might be it for a while if we don't win it this year.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by USCFOOTBALL View Post
    Than show me where the definition is, if it is such a common phrase you should be able to find support for such a well known term, here I'll even Google it for you (https://lmgtfy.com/?q=championship%2...ball%2Bmeaning) since you can't, let me suggest you got the term out of your ***.



    Ok lets do that now, yes as we sit here now the Astros are the favorite to win the World Series at 2/1 with the Dodgers at 3/1. You're probably just fine having the Astros party on our field celebrating but as shocking as it seems I wasn't too happy about it, the last time and wasn't happy when the Red Sox did it either. I don't think other Dodger fans are that thrilled about being World Series runner ups either.

    I just dont see this team winning it all with Kershaw throwing batting practice in the playoffs and a shaky bullpen and hitting that gets so cold it couldn't hit Peacock throwing 46 straight fastballs.

    We didn't do jack **** in free agency, didn't do jack **** at the deadline, this front office just doesn't want it bad enough. Kershaw is getting up there in age Hill is already ancient, Jansen has declined, this might be it for a while if we don't win it this year.
    To the first part - I don’t care where you think I pulled it out of - you’re still reaching for something that clearly has no impact on the discussion. And you’re doing it largely because you already admitted that the team will compete for a championship which is all you can really do as a Front Office - create a roster that will compete for a championship.

    There is no guarantee of a WS. According to the source you referenced, the Dodgers have second best odds, the Astros have the first best odds. Many have the Dodgers up, many have the two teams even.

    You seem to think that having the second best odds in baseball means they do not have a roster that can win the World Series. Following that logic, you back to your self into a corner where the only outcome which you can be upset over is if the Dodgers lose in the World Series to the Astros. Because, again, according to your source, the Dodgers have done enough to beat everyone else.

    To the second part...

    ...And we still have the best record in baseball and likely headed to our 3rd straight World Series.

    What should we have done in free agency? Bryce Harper?

    Maybe you haven’t noticed, but Rich Hill hasn’t even been a factor this year, Clayton Kershaw hasn’t need to be “Clayton Kershaw”, and potentially needing to replace a closer doesn’t exactly signify the end of a dynasty.

    The Dodgers also have one of the youngest cores in baseball, a loaded farm, and lots of money to fill spaces to pursue overpriced FAs should they choose to so I don’t see their window closing anytime soon.

    Still, back to the topic, you already agree they will compete for a championship, and since no roster moves guarantee a World Series, you really have no argument...

    Thanks for trying
    Last edited by GibbyIsMyHero; 08-02-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •