Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    You know me well enough to know that "optimistic" is not in my vocabulary.

That said, she could be surfing in heaven for all I know, but when I do end up at the betting window, I can say for certain that I'll put my money on a different horse.

She was not. Then she was. Now she is no longer.
    Right. How do you go from "she was not" to "she is forever?" People ask me if I fear death. I respond, "no more than I feared preconception."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Right. How do you go from "she was not" to "she is forever?" People ask me if I fear death. I respond, "no more than I feared preconception."
    I don't believe you've ever had that conversation with a "real" person

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    You don't think I've come across anyone telling me he/she feared what was going to happen to him/her after he/she died? Haven't we all met these people?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-14-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

I don't really believe in god, but I want to. That being said, to many, the hope of heaven being paradise, where every problem dissolves away, gives them comfort through difficult times. And I am totally fine with that.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

"fearing" death is an odd statement. Everyone should fear death unless they are sick and life is a worse option, but some are able to not fear (or put it aside) what necessary actions must be taken that could result in death. Big difference I think.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I don't really believe in god, but I want to.
    Would be nice, wouldn’t it?

That being said, to many, the hope of heaven being paradise, where every problem dissolves away, gives them comfort through difficult times. And I am totally fine with that.
    As a general rule, I agree. The only downside in my book is that on occasion such an attitude can lead to complacency in dealing with life issues.

"fearing" death is an odd statement. Everyone should fear death unless they are sick and life is a worse option, but some are able to not fear (or put it aside) what necessary actions must be taken that could result in death. Big difference I think.
    I get the fear of dying, but not of death itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Would be nice, wouldn’t it?

As a general rule, I agree. The only downside in my book is that on occasion such an attitude can lead to complacency in dealing with life issues.

I get the fear of dying, but not of death itself.
    interesting way to put it. I tend to agree I think. I meant more so, from a perspective I have even. My Mom passed in Nov, 2017, and I want to believe heaven exists so badly, so I can see her again. But, you are right, a lot of people just shrug their shoulders and say, "god's will" for everything.

I've decided that I believe in a figurative, pretend God who can be whatever I want him to be. But then again, other than admitting he's "pretend," i guess that makes me no different from most theists.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

interesting way to put it. I tend to agree I think. I meant more so, from a perspective I have even. My Mom passed in Nov, 2017, and I want to believe heaven exists so badly, so I can see her again. But, you are right, a lot of people just shrug their shoulders and say, "god's will" for everything.
    Heard someone make this point recently: Why do some blame bad things on free will? Doesn't free will also exist in Heaven? If not, wouldn't Heaven be insufferably torturous?

There was a terrific Twilight Zone in which a career criminal is killed dies and is sent to an afterlife in which all of his desires are satisfied. He can't believe his luck that he of all people made it up to Heaven. He is given everything he wants; All he has to do is ask: Unlimited food, women, money, anything and everything. But soon, he grows bored of it all. He asks his host, aptly portrayed by Sebastion Cabot, if perhaps he could arrange to maybe get caught robbing a bank so there might be some thrill to it. His host said, sure, when would you like to get caught?

No, he insisted, the idea was to arrange it so it would be left to actual chance whether or not he would get caught. After all, if this were Heaven, shouldn't that be possible?

His host laughed. What made him think this was "Heaven?"

See, when everything is preordained, even if everything works out well, it is no longer pleasurable or fun. For Heaven to live up to its billing, there would have to be free will. And if there is, and assuming miserable things don't happen there because, after all, it is Heaven, we should be able to enjoy similar benefits here.

Unless, of course, nothing is preordained. There is no God. There is no afterlife. What happens, happens. And then we die and leave it to our successors to carry on.

That's what I believe and that's what makes the most sense to me.

....and all sorts of people that aren't religious will shrug their shoulders and say similar but without any reference to God such as, "**** it. It is what it is."

Religious folk sure don't have a monopoly on complacency and/or realizing they can't control every single thing that happens to them and the world around them.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    You don't think I've come across anyone telling me he/she feared what was going to happen to him/her after he/she died? Haven't we all met these people?
    i think its a made up conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

i think its a made up conversation
    I think you're a made-up concersation.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ....and all sorts of people that aren't religious will shrug their shoulders and say similar but without any reference to God such as, "**** it. It is what it is."

Religious folk sure don't have a monopoly on complacency and/or realizing they can't control every single thing that happens to them and the world around them.
    True enough perhaps, but so what? That doesn’t change anything about the original observation, and as such, the point still remains.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post

Agreed. Nihilists need not be religious.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Agreed. Nihilists need not be religious.
    Agreed.

And despite appearances, some religious people function essentially as nihilists.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast