Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Study finds that restaurants raise prices, cut jobs to increased minimum wage

Not shocking to anyone with common sense but study finds that 71% surveyed say they raised prices, 43% said they cut jobs and over 60% say they cut their employees hours

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/10/...mpression=true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Study finds that restaurants raise prices, cut jobs to increased minimum wage

Sounds like they got there results by surveying the people that had or would have to pay higher wages and they got the answers you would expect that group to give. Doesnít mean it wouldnít or didnít happen but I donít think there is any chance of not getting these results

Last edited by ewing; 04-28-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Sounds like they got there results by surveying the people that had or would have to pay higher wages and they got the answers you would expect that group to give. Doesnít mean it wouldnít or didnít happen but I donít think there is any chance of not getting these results
    I think it was predictable and in fact predicted. The issue is that the proponents of the increased hourly wage were saying the hours wouldn't be cut and the number of employees wouldn't go down. they were hoping all the money would come from increased prices.

Water also wet.

If people have more money to spend, that stimulates the economy. So there's more than one way to look at it.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think it was predictable and in fact predicted. The issue is that the proponents of the increased hourly wage were saying the hours wouldn't be cut and the number of employees wouldn't go down. they were hoping all the money would come from increased prices.
    Sure I was just saying I donít think think this ďstudyĒ is much of a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    If people have more money to spend, that stimulates the economy. So there's more than one way to look at it.
    Yeah some people might have more money but a lot of people will have their hours cut or wonít have a job

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Yeah some people might have more money but a lot of people will have their hours cut or wonít have a job

agreed and i think this is where a lot of these issues get lost. Almost all all actions have both positive negative effects however when people get bitter and divided they only see one side of the coin. maybe 15 dollars ins't right (im not an an economist and don't pretend to be one) but I definitely think there should be enough common ground for a conversation

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Not shocking to anyone with common sense but study finds that 71% surveyed say they raised prices, 43% said they cut jobs and over 60% say they cut their employees hours

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/10/...mpression=true

So what? Maybe American consumers need to pay for those who serve them to have a living wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    So what? Maybe American consumers need to pay for those who serve them to have a living wage.
    There are some jobs that should not pay a living wage.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Crovash; 04-29-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    agreed and i think this is where a lot of these issues get lost. Almost all all actions have both positive negative effects however when people get bitter and divided they only see one side of the coin. maybe 15 dollars ins't right (im not an an economist and don't pretend to be one) but I definitely think there should be enough common ground for a conversation
    I agree. When the CA Governor signed the $15 minimum wage bill he actually said he had no idea if it would work or not, then signed the law. Pretty bizarre for that to happen.

The issue is much more complex that money per hour. In SF, for example, it's incredibly expensive to live or work there, and part of the reason is that it's incredibly hard to build or to change the purpose of space there because of red tape and permits. The only building that happens is expensive building because of the red tape so everything gets more expensive.

I think part of the solution we will come to eventually is to get people to stop moving to cities. If I drive 30 minutes I can get service on my car for 30% less money just because it's not in as big a city. People will learn eventually that concentration of people/resources isn't good.

I remember when I was working at a supermarket, minimum wage had gone up from like $8 to $10 over the span of a year. I went from working 30 hour weeks to working 12 hour weeks. Now, the same supermarket got rid of the last 2 registers, got rid of a few cashiers, and set up 4 automated registers instead.

Unless there are laws stipulating that you canít cut peoples hours or whatever, itíll continue to happen.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

********. Every job deserves a living wage.

People have heart attacks here because McDonaldís workers make $15 an hour now (thatís minimum) but fail to realize that you still canít afford your own place even while making the $15 an hour.

Minimum wage jobs at the very least should be able to get you a studio apartment.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

I kind of agree on this. Working a minimum wage job should be a starter job, or part time job. The only exceptions are handicap, or those restricted unfortunately. But those people also qualify for assistance to make up any gap in "living" wage.

If you are 35, and have a minimum wage job, you failed at life.

However, what we deem a "living wage" is funny. $15/hour isn't liveable. Sorry.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast